Hackers and internet

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll agree that the best way of avoiding your personal information getting stolen is not to put it out there to begin with, but like it or not, in all likelihood they probably already have personal info floating around online. It's unavoidable in today's world.

Reputable sites like Amazon's use SSL encryption to secure passwords and credit card numbers. Most banking websites are really secure too. If you also use technologies like 2-factor authentication, your account is even more secure. As long as you only use reputable websites, your personal info is relatively safe online.

Yes, there have been a few instances where even reputable sites have been broken into and customer data has been leaked:
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
eBay
JPMorgan Chase
Home Depot
Sony
Target
Citibank

But if you look at most of these cases, aside from eBay, your personal info may very well have been leaked without you ever having gone online. And the truth is, you're just as likely to have your personal info stolen by other methods. You may have swiped your card at an ATM or a gas station without noticing a card "skimmer" attached. Maybe you went to use your card somewhere, and it "didn't read" so you handed it across the counter to the cashier, who keyed it in manually. Maybe they kept a copy of your credit card numbers, maybe they didn't. Or maybe you handed your card over to a waiter at a restaurant, there's no telling what they may have done before handing it back to you. Ever apply for a credit card or a loan on paper? Whoever "processed" your application (which most likely just means entering it into a computer system which you probably could have done directly online) would likely have ample opportunity to make a copy for themselves. Ever have your taxes done by someone else? How well did you know them beforehand? Even when filling out basic paperwork for a new job, your personal data goes through their HR staff, who you've likely just met for the first time.

So no matter what you do, your personal information isn't safe. You might as well face the facts. Your personal data isn't "yours" anymore. Unless you've only worked under the table, for cash, don't have a bank account (or social security number, for that matter), have never had a credit card, purchased your car, house, etc. with cash, you get the idea. Your personal info is most likely stored in several databases that are all somehow connected to the internet. Might as well go ahead and go online, because whether you like it or not, your info is already there.

If that all doesn't convince your parents that they might as well get internet, at least it will probably scare the shit out of them.

Last edited by RHOPKINS13,
D

Deleted User

Tell them that even if they stayed offline, they're likely to get hacked anyway, thanks to bank accounts and even just walking around with a phone in your pocket.

That, and get them into an Internet Safety course.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, my parents don't want to get internet. They are against it because of all the news on negative things that happen through the internet like getting hacked and personal information getting stolen.
i am trying to make my case on how the internet is not bad if you know what you are doing.
Can anyone give me information that will help my case. And information on how hackers can actually hack you.
Thanks a lot!
I would say they can't get you anything I'd that is there perspective

Get a car - it may be robbed
Get a house - it may be burgled
Eat food - you might choke

See where I'm going with this.

There are downsides to anything in life, just explain the benefits outweigh the negatives and that the Internet is now considered by the un to be a necessity the same way electric and heating are

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like your parents honestly need some courses in basic computing. It seems like they're afraid of what they don't understand (typical human nature), educating them is honestly your best bet. Start really basic with just using a computer offline to type documents, make spreadsheets etc and work your way up slowly to the online stuff. Eventually they'll look back wondering how they survived modern existence all this time without it. You cant even apply for a fast food job without internet access these days. It should be considered a human right by governments around the world for this reason alone. Many are recognizing it now, but there's still a long way to go

Reactions: Acrux

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, my parents don't want to get internet. They are against it because of all the news on negative things that happen through the internet like getting hacked and personal information getting stolen.
i am trying to make my case on how the internet is not bad if you know what you are doing.
Can anyone give me information that will help my case. And information on how hackers can actually hack you.
Thanks a lot!

Obviously, your parents are watching news too much. They should research on the google or something like that. They are obviously do not know much about the internet.

What's wrong with google and show it to them that it is not that bad. If there is HTTPS then it is more secure than HTTP. However, secure or non secure will always have a hacker no matter what.:) I have been used internet for many many years.. over 12 years and don't have a problem so far. Surely, they hacked my email accounts and something like that but I changed the password immediately. As long as your email account is not important then you are absolutely fine!

Last edited by spotanjo3,

ATofix

Sloth. That's it.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot!
Your parents don't want internet!? I feel you. That's rough. But you are 18 so....

Acrux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait, How will you temp when school ends?
I dont. I wish though

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But the internet never lies..... :( ...

You can try getting the password from a neighbor honestly..
I live in the country. My closest nieghbor is 2 miles away and they dont have internet

Your parents don't want internet!? I feel you. That's rough. But you are 18 so....
There house. They have last say.

I'm surprised that even in Canada are cases like this one. I'm used to, I live in Argentina, so, there's still people that don't want internet or a smartphone.

I really think that the instant access to the information is very useful this days, for anyone.
I live in the country side, isolated on a farm. In my school they have less than 100 people in it. No cell service here either. Or hospital. So its a crap area. But ill try convonce them some more.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thanks a lot!
Their information is already stolen, it's just the way of a modern society.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Their information is already stolen, it's just the way of a modern society.

Not really. My parents don't have an internet because they don't know how to use the computer so they have a smart tv box with a wifi for Skype only. Their information isn't stolen at all. How is that possible ? LOL!:rofl2:

D

Deleted User

Not really. My parents don't have an internet because they don't know how to use the computer so they have a smart tv box with a wifi for Skype only. Their information isn't stolen at all. How is that possible ? LOL!:rofl2:
The signed up for services like Skype, so their information is given to someone who may or may not (99% likely to happen at SOME point) get hacked, which their info can be stolen from.

Reactions: Coolsonickirby

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Acrux
You could go to college. I don't know how Canada works as far as loans or ISPs, but if you got a loan for college, you could use the money to (probably) get discounted Internet for being a student (at least in America), get a job online with an employer who might cut you a deal to help pay for Internet expenses.

If that doesn't work, try to go to school abroad; NY would probably be your best bet.
------
Most college dorms have wi-fi.

Last edited by H1B1Esquire,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/a93F-EEw6HM?si=tUXuLXhXiWUsmIIv