ROM Hack Hacked To Life -- a Drawn To Life save tool

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hacked To Life is a program that allows you to manipulate Heroes from your Drawn To Life save file

It supports:
* Loading/saving Drawn To Life saves (raw .sav)
* Importing pictures (.bmp, .jpeg, .gif)
* Saving pictures (.bmp)
* Importing/Exporting Hero data (.dtl)

Usage:
Load up a raw .sav file from Drawn To Life. On the left drag and drop pictures to use as parts
to import into your Hero. On the right side drag and drop a picture to import the entire Hero.
You can make the pixels of the same color transparent by right clicking on one of the pixels
of that color. (Re)name your character if you want -- illegal names will show as strange
tiles. Save the .sav and play with your new Hero!

Notes:
Use at your own risk. Always keep a backup of your original save file just in case!

I spent a lot of time on this program and would appreciate any feedback, comments, etc.

Download it here.

shootme

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Getting startup error: component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

running windows vista

Remy669

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
"Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

dry.gif
Why doesn't it work?
dry.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prayed for this and the lord Cracker gave it us.

Getting the same error sadly though.

D

Deleted User

That looks like a vb runtime file to me.
happy.gif
can easily just download the neccesary files the app needs. If it is vb runtimes, can downlaod the vb runtime pack from microsoft website.

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nice tool!

Tried it but i got this error :

Runtime Error "9":
Subscript out of Range

And before it tells me that my save is bigger.^^
I use a 512kb one on my SCSD.

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fixed the code causing the subscript out of range error. It was due to having a color loaded that was off the chart in terms of it's value. This indicates that the SC saves are more than just mere overdumps and that extra data is added to the beginning -- thus the address is not the same for these saves = it won't work on SC saves and they need to be converted. I could take a look at the save file if you want to send me it.

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually DATA loaded up fine.
biggrin.gif
So it will handle SC saves it looks like. Note that it will still save to a standard DTL save size (256K) so you will probably want to use a copy of your 512K .sav file to insert the new data into so your SC will take it.

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
can we import a bmp for characters? ifso, this would rock

Edit: Sorry, i'm an idiot:P

i'm going to use this as soon as i get my ds back:)
you could also try and figure out the way to edit the weapons and submarines and such

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
eapons and submarines and such

I'll try to find where they are stored at once I get to the point where I can draw them. I just 'played' far enough to draw the Heroes and that was it.
smile.gif
ok, cool:)

if you dont mind me asking, how do you figure out this stuff? are the colours assigned valuses and you just make a block of white everytime and examine whats changed with some sort of comparer thing?

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eapons and submarines and such

I'll try to find where they are stored at once I get to the point where I can draw them. I just 'played' far enough to draw the Heroes and that was it.
smile.gif
ok, cool:)

if you dont mind me asking, how do you figure out this stuff? are the colours assigned valuses and you just make a block of white everytime and examine whats changed with some sort of comparer thing?

Pretty close. I flood filled each body part with a different color and then looked at the save in a hex editor. I searched for the name of the Hero and it was easy to find the area of the save where the sprites are stored because they are just a bit down from that. It was a repeating string of characters up until where it changed to the next body part so I figured it was stored on a bit level. I looked at the values in bits and then figured out it was using 5 bits per pixel with the indexes of the color palette being set up the same as they are in the chart in the game. Then just had to figure out how many bits were for each part, offsets to use, and placements of all the parts. The binary manipulation is what takes a bit of time between slot switching, loading, saving BTW. VB isn't good at real binary manipulation unfortunately.
tongue.gif
But sure saves a lot of time in other areas of programming.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Jayro @ Jayro: Thanks for that bundle, I had the games already but got all the DLC for them for just $5. What a... +1