Hack 3DS through system update?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by elfhater, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2011
  1. elfhater
    OP

Newcomer elfhater Newbie

United States
    I remember there was a way on the PS3 to create a proxy server on your PC and then access the internet through it.Through that, one could download things like the then-unreleased Home Beta to their console [​IMG] . Is there any way possible to use a proxy server with the 3DS to update through your PC? I would think if you could trick the 3DS into believing there was a real update but really pushed unsigned code/custom firmware then you'd have a hacked system... but I'm by no means an expert on this matter and have no idea if it's even possible lol. If anyone has any feedback or would just like to flat out tell me it's impossible, I'd appreciate if you'd reply. I'm genuinely curious as if to this could work [​IMG]

2. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    There has already been a thread about this.
    Simply put it, we need to find out how to run code on the 3DS before we can eve think about something like this.
    I'll give this thread a few minutes before it gets closed..

3. Nathanaël

Member Nathanaël GBAtemp Regular

Nauru
    You know that nobody reads this "hacking suggestions" here anymore?

4. StapleButter

Member StapleButter 'New Member' registered since 2009. Fuck yea.

France
    No, no and no. Updates are signed and encrypted, making them impossible to modify.

5. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Impossible? No. Just very very unlikely.

For example, the means to install modified ios on the Wii was to take advantage of how the Wii updates them (and taking advantage of a flaw in their signing process, known as the trucha bug).

Of course, that wasn't the original hack used to get the keys and hack the system, but bugs in the update process can and have been exploited previously. That said, it's very unlikely that the big N made any of the same Wii mistakes on the 3DS since they spent the first 2 years after the wii was initially hacked applying (much too late) fixes to all their holes.

6. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.