Homebrew GW + 11.3 kills a9hl?

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just out of Curiosity, why use Gateway if you're already using Luma? Because if it's cheats you need ntr would have you covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a word? Laziness lol. I got used to GW and loading up games on a microsd, and using cheats with them. It's my own damn fault I guess. I knew the risks of updating while in GW mode, which is why I double-checked to make sure I was in Luma mode first. I didn't realize that simply loading the GW payload at boot would destroy A9LH. What a costly lesson.

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In a word? Laziness lol. I got used to GW and loading up games on a microsd, and using cheats with them. It's my own damn fault I guess. I knew the risks of updating while in GW mode, which is why I double-checked to make sure I was in Luma mode first. I didn't realize that simply loading the GW payload at boot would destroy A9LH. What a costly lesson.

Costly lesson indeed.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just out of Curiosity, why use Gateway if you're already using Luma? Because if it's cheats you need ntr would have you covered.
I assume you never tried a Gateway. Because I could agree that Gateway is shit on a lot of things (no sysNAND protection, no region+language emulation, needs a cart to boot, let's not talk about their FastBullshit...) but please don't say NTR covers Gateway cheats. NTR does have cheats, and not necessarily the worst ones (especially now with the overlay plugins). But Gateway cheats are just that much more convenient to use.

Now, is it worth buying a Gateway?... Probably not (except if you really are an everyday cheater or something). But for those who already have one (because they bought it when it was the only viable solution), you can understand why they have Luma as their main driver but still have Gateway as a secondary payload somewhere.

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I assume you never tried a Gateway. Because I could agree that Gateway is shit on a lot of things (no sysNAND protection, no region+language emulation, needs a cart to boot, let's not talk about their FastBullshit...) but please don't say NTR covers Gateway cheats. NTR does have cheats, and not necessarily the worst ones (especially now with the overlay plugins). But Gateway cheats are just that much more convenient to use.

Now, is it worth buying a Gateway?... Probably not (except if you really are an everyday cheater or something). But for those who already have one (because they bought it when it was the only viable solution), you can understand why they have Luma as their main driver but still have Gateway as a secondary payload somewhere.

Well I'll come right out and say I'm not even remotely fan of gateway (due to shitty practices mainly) but then seeing posts like these just gives me fuel to out about gateway, because while I get the fun of tinkering, gateway has proven incompetence time and time again versus the developers around here that do all this for free, and still not having FIRM protection of any kind just makes it all the worse as now people will have to consult to hardmods (for now at least) because Gateway couldn't/didn't do what others did for free while selling their DRM locked CFW at a hefty price. Getting somewhat better cheat support is not a reason for me anyway to support them.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Gateway uses an older NATIVE_FIRM. So it will just boot to a black screen on an emuNAND.

Also why are people seriously using Gateway on sysNAND? It's been well documented to not have FIRM0/1 protection.

Or just don't use Gateway.

Brickway and rxtools are now dead relics unless the dev's update them

I have an O3DS on 11.2 SysNAND with Luma3DS running from SD card only, with Gateway running as a secondary payload. Mostly for drag and drop support for .3ds files, instead of having to wait hours for a 4GB CIA to install. And I'm running it on SysNAND for simplicity, since I don't see the need to have a separate NAND taking up 1GB of my SD card and complicating CIA installs. Since I only boot up Gateway mode when playing .3ds games, the risk of updating while in Gateway mode is minimal. That said, this latest development sucks. Big time.

BrunceCamp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is really bad, this should be put on the news section or something to maybe prevent some people who have updated luma to 11.3 and then try to boot up the gateway payload, or someone could boot it up by accident, so its dangerous leaving that file on your sd card lol

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
This is really bad, this should be put on the news section or something to maybe prevent some people who have updated luma to 11.3 and then try to boot up the gateway payload, or someone could boot it up by accident, so its dangerous leaving that file on your sd card lol
People never read stickies :rofl2::rofl2:^_^:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It should be common knowledge by now. Gateway is is almost always broken by OFW updates and it should be common knowledge that is CFW for it lacks FIRM 0/1 protection. Plus this is like the 5th thread that day. I feel like if people can't research or look at the threads before updating, then they aren't going to look at the news either

RyDog

Lazy Animal Crossing hacks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be common knowledge by now. Gateway is is almost always broken by OFW updates and it should be common knowledge that is CFW for it lacks FIRM 0/1 protection. Plus this is like the 5th thread that day. I feel like if people can't research or look at the threads before updating, then they aren't going to look at the news either
It's 2017. Nobody reads nowadays.... Noobs people want to do everything the quickest way possible. As an example, I'm pretty sure people would much rather follow a video guide rather than read a guide that is well kept, and contains as many warnings and precautions as possible, but people still manage to skip over those precautions/warnings and end up bricking their 3DS.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's common knowledge that there's no 0/1 FIRM protection, but that just means "don't update in Gateway mode", not "don't boot up Gateway on SysNAND at all". I would've been perfectly capable of doing this same mistake if I hadn't chanced upon this thread, since I have a SysNAND-only setup.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's common knowledge that there's no 0/1 FIRM protection, but that just means "don't update in Gateway mode", not "don't boot up Gateway on SysNAND at all". I would've been perfectly capable of doing this same mistake if I hadn't chanced upon this thread, since I have a SysNAND-only setup.
Or you could be more observant

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it sucks for gateway users. I was using gateway 'til about four or five months ago if that. I knew not to update while in gateway mode, but I may have updated sysNAND before checking with gateway. I've had a9lh for a while before I dropped gateway. does emuNAND even work if installing it to the latest firmware?

McWhiters9511

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it sucks for gateway users. I was using gateway 'til about four or five months ago if that. I knew not to update while in gateway mode, but I may have updated sysNAND before checking with gateway. I've had a9lh for a while before I dropped gateway. does emuNAND even work if installing it to the latest firmware?
theyre working on a fix rn. i can wait personally

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not really, it was only discovered a week or so ago. Even with lots of Googling all you'd be likely to find is "don't update in Gateway mode".
I mean notice that in the system settings that you are on 9.2 or whatever you left your sysNAND is on. And the Gateway not having FIRM0/1 has been known since they launched A9LH support

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
so u can only update emuNAND, not sysNAND even with using a9lh and luma?
If you're using EmuNAND, you can update both (but Gateway won't work). If you're using Gateway on your SysNAND, like a lot of people are since A9LH allowed it as a secondary payload, that's when it goes to sh**, even if you take the usual precaution not to update while in Gateway mode.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Or you could be more observant
Observant of what? There's literally no other mention of this problem, it's a first. On no other occasion has a firmware been able to wipe out A9LH just because of booting in Gateway mode (as I said, without actually updating in Gateway mode).

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I mean notice that in the system settings that you are on 9.2 or whatever you left your sysNAND is on. And the Gateway not having FIRM0/1 has been known since they launched A9LH support
Do you expect a noob to understand this? All the information out there currently just says don't update in Gateway sysNAND. Even noobs who inform themselves well are unlikely to know about a danger we didn't know ourselves until a week ago.

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not really, it was only discovered a week or so ago. Even with lots of Googling all you'd be likely to find is "don't update in Gateway mode".
and i posted in wrong section so most people don't even see it
i asked admins to move it to flashcard and even made a reddit link where most users say it's bullshit

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i wish i saw this thread before updating to 11.3 with a Luma+A9lh+Gateway setup. ugh... I updated while in Luma mode, and tried to launch GW after. Black screen. Shutdown, restarted, and bye-bye EVERYTHING :( So the only solution is a hardmod to flash an earlier fw if you have a nand backup?
yeah if u have a nandbackup it works

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Dude just shat himself.