Hacking Guide To Blocking PSN Updates (And PSN in general)

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't matter what updates. it just proves my point that the option doesn't have any effect.
Then update the OP accordingly, you're making it sound like system updates only.
When you think about it if a game tries to update on a older firmware it forces the console update to download as well. On latest FW it forces game updates even if you don't want it.
No, it doesn't! I just tried that out right now. I put a game I recently bought into my second PS4 (running 4.05). It downloaded the game update just fine, and it did not update my system's FW.

Reactions: Zero72463

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then update the OP accordingly, you're making it sound like system updates only.

No, it doesn't! I just tried that out right now. I put a game I recently bought into my second PS4 (running 4.05). It downloaded the game update just fine, and it did not update my system's FW.

Doesn't matter too me. In the end I am glad I proved I was right I don't care about the other details. Also are you sure you can update a game on older firmware?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bruh I just tried updating my BO3 and it downloaded version 4.06 as well you liar. Sure it doesn't instantly install it, but someone could be easily tricked with this and accidentally update their PS4. I made this thread so accidents like that don't happen.

Last edited by Zero72463,

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't matter too me. In the end I am glad I proved I was right I don't care about the other details.
If we go by this logic, then we were both technically right. I was claiming system updates are not done automatically unless told so.
Also are you sure you can update a game on older firmware?
Yes. What you're referring to is probably games that need to be on a higher FW right off the bat. In my case, Titanfall 2 works on 4.05, so it was able to update normally without needing to update the system's FW. Future titles will probably require you to be on a higher FW to run, but I doubt they would force you to update the system FW. It would most likely ask you.

Bruh I just tried updating my BO3 and it downloaded version 4.06 as well you liar. Sure it doesn't instantly install it, but someone could be easily tricked with this and accidentally update their PS4. I made this thread so accidents like that don't happen.
You probably did something else. My system did not download a system update. I can record if you'd like.

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4.06 is kinda an option for 4.05. It doesn't push you a lot to update. To get online you need to update, but most basic internet features will stay. This thread is for us on 3.55 and below mostly. On older firmware versions like ours it forces you to update in any way possible.

So you are right for higher firmware versions I guess.

I am tired right now so I really don't want to argue anymore. It is 2:54 A.M for me.

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Decided to record proof for shits and giggles.

4.06 is kinda an option for 4.05. It doesn't push you a lot to update. To get online you need to update, but most basic internet features will stay. This thread is for us on 3.55 and below mostly. On older firmware versions like ours it forces you to update in any way possible.
4.06 is not an optional update. The spoofer no longer works either. I was also on 3.55 for a long time before I decided to update because I actually want to play some new games. Basic internet features also worked while I was on 3.55.
So you are right for higher firmware versions I guess.
Games that do not require a higher FW will work fine on old FWs, even updating those titles will be fine. But like every other system (including the prior ones from Sony: PSVita and PS3), if a game requires a higher FW, it will ask you to update; however, it will not force the update on you.

Last edited by Supster131,

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Decided to record proof for shits and giggles.

4.06 is not an optional update. The spoofer no longer works either. I was also on 3.55 for a long time before I decided to update because I actually want to play some new games. Basic internet features also worked while I was on 3.55.

Games that do not require a higher FW will work fine on old FWs, even updating those titles will be fine. But like every other system (included the prior ones from Sony, PSVita and PS3), if a game requires a higher FW, it will ask you to update; however, it will not force the update on you.

Wow good for you. Again this thread was made for bypassing updates which can happen under certain conditions. Don't respond to this please I am very tired now.

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow good for you. Again this thread was made for bypassing updates which can happen under certain conditions. Don't respond to this please I am very tired now.
Alright, have a nice sleep.
I'll also take my leave with this, because everything I've proven so far goes back to this:

All you need is common sense, really.

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, have a nice sleep.
I'll also take my leave with this, because everything I've proven so far goes back to this:

Night. Same could be said towards you.
All you need is common sense, really.

Also I made this thread because to some people it can be useful. Just because it wasn't useful towards you doesn't mean you need to take the time to explain why you won't be doing this.

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also I made this thread because to some people it can be useful. Just because it wasn't useful towards you doesn't mean you need to take the time to explain why you won't be doing this.
I understand that, but I just don't want misinformation being spread. If you feel the need to do this, then that's totally fine! I just want people to understand that this is a placebo for system updates. If you want to block game updates, then sure, this guide is for you. If you're doing it to block system updates, a simple change in the settings is good enough for that.

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright there are multiple ways to block updates. You found one and I just posted some more ways. No harm, no misinformation, nothing bad happening.

Also in the end all we were trying to do was prove each other wrong completely ignoring the original reason we were arguing. Let's just stop now.

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright there are multiple ways to block updates. You found one and I just posted some more ways. No harm, no misinformation, nothing bad happening.

Also in the end all we were trying to do was prove each other wrong completely ignoring the original reason we were arguing. Let's just stop now.
Alright, sure. We're cool now. You should go get some rest lol, I saw you edit your post like 5 times.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, why do you feel the need to fight and argue over something like this?

like you said, I once had the update automatically downloaded, while I always put my settings (from day one) to not auto download.
I think it occurred when an app detected I had to update to use it and the download started automatically without any question "download or later?".

I got this issue only once, in 3.x if I remember well. As all my games are digital on PS4 I'm using it legally and won't wait for any hack or homebrew, I'm always updating so it wasn't a big issue for me, but it can be for other users.
Since then, all my updates are properly prompted and I can choose to not download.
once downloaded, you also have the choice to install now or later, I don't know if you can delete the temporary downloaded file.

Edit:
I just got that issue again !
It added 4.07 automatically to my download queue.
Though, this time, it didn't lock me out of PSN before installing the latest version.

Calahan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just tried that out right now. I put a game I recently bought into my second PS4 (running 4.05). It downloaded the game update just fine, and it did not update my system's FW.
I bought a PS4 Pro and "Rise of the Tomb Raider". (PS4 Pro with firmware 3.70.)
The game runs well on 3.70 (well with 3 crashes in the last 14 days).
I tried to update the game, so I can use the PS4 Pro features and maybe get some patches for the crashes.

I found no way to download the game update.
I always got the message that I have to connect to PSN to download the game update .
When I tried to connect to PSN I got the message that I have to be on firmware 4.05 (at that time).
When I clicked on later, it started to download the firmware update in the background.
I had disabled all auto-download and auto-install settings before.
I was able to delete the partial firmware download. But I never got the update for my game.

Well maybe you can connect to PSN with 4.05 without getting the update for 4.06.
I would love to update my game without getting a newer firmware.
Any ideas how I can do this?

All the best,
Calahan

cathor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great post, thanks. I prefer to block updates in router.

Some routers (like mine) are only able to block ip-address and not hostnames. I ping'ed all of the hostnames and this is the result.

post.net.playstation.net —> 62.127.145.155
get.net.playstation.net —> 62.127.145.155
fus01.ps4.update.playstation.net —> 23.34.185.171
feu01.ps4.update.playstation.net —> 23.34.185.171
deu01.ps4.update.playstation.net —> 62.127.145.152
ps4updptl.eu.np.community.playstation.net —> 54.69.175.132 (request timeout)
tmdb.np.dl.playstation.net —> 95.140.228.88
themis.dl.playstation.net —> 23.13.240.57
sf.api.np.km.playstation.net —> 23.13.243.156
asm.np.community.playstation.net —> 52.33.72.127 (request timeout)
artcdnsecure.ribob01.net —> (unknown host//can’t resolve)
api-p014.ribob01.net —> (unknown host//can’t resolve)
apicdn-p014.ribob01.net —> (unknown host//can’t resolve)
t-prof.np.community.playstation.net —> (unknown host//can’t resolve)
ps4updptl.eu.np.community.playstation.net —> 54.148.244.233 (request timeout)
ps4.updptl.sp-int.community.playstation.net —> (unknown host//can’t resolve)
ps4updptl.jp.sp-int.community.playstation.net —> (unknown host//can’t resolve)
ps4-eb.ww.np.dl.playstation.net —> 184.50.175.121
ps4-eb.ww.np.dl.playstation.net —> 184.50.175.121

Am I safe if i block the above ip addresses?

Last edited by cathor,

B3DDO3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, So like many I purchased a new PS4 slim on black Friday/cyber Monday and it comes with FW 3.55. It also came with Uncharted 4, Last of us Remastered, Ratchet and Clank and the PS4 Camera. I am mainly a xbox gamer and will only use the ps4 for offline single player games so would prefer it if it stayed offline on 3.55 and maybe be open to hacking in the future.

Well anyway Ratchet and Clank comes digitally is there any way I can download and install R&C but not update my firmware to 4.0.6.

Thanks in advance

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol +1