• Likes 69

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thank you for the amazing guide, now I feel like a genius :P

Quick question: after downgrading from 9.2 to 4.5 I am not able to play Super Smash
will updating the Sysnand to 9.anything fix this or I must update to 9.2 EXACTLY?

(Rephrase: is the result of the "console boot encryption method" different for every major and minor firmware number?)
Use emuNAND

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could boot Gateway mode on your old 3DS, make an emuNAND, copy it to an emuNAND in your new 3DS and that way you'd have a system transfer without updating sysNAND.
I'm pretty sure emunand is system-specific and you can't put one 3ds's emunand sd into another 3ds and expect it to work.

Thank you for the amazing guide, now I feel like a genius :P

Quick question: after downgrading from 9.2 to 4.5 I am not able to load the save of my retail Super Smash.
will updating the Sysnand to 9.anything fix this or I must update to 9.2 EXACTLY?

(Rephrase: is the result of the "console boot encryption method" different for every major and minor firmware number?)

No, I'm pretty sure all that matters is whether your sysnand is on pre- or post-6.0.0.

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, try dumping the cartridge, and load it in the red card while in emuNAND.
Should fix saves.

No it won't, that's the whole save issue and one of the reasons I wrote this guide.

See:
There are two bottom lines here. The first is that dumped saves won't work under the
following conditions:

1. The game's save is not 512kb in size
2. The game uses >6.0 encryption for saving

The second bottom line is that you will lose the ability to play retail carts AND eshop games
that use >6.0 encryption on your 3ds if you downgrade to system NAND 4.x. This is because of the aforementioned mismatch in the keys used to encrypt and decrypt saves. Basically, if you want to continue to be able to play retail games with >6.0 save encryption, you need to stay on the system NAND version you are currently on. You'll need to stay at that system NAND version until gateway fixes all of these save compatability issues.

THE ISSUES IN THIS SECTION ONLY APPLY TO RETAIL CARTS! See "Eshop games and .cia files" for backing up eshop/cia saves!

Reactions: MrJason005

Drake008

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So and how do I get back to 9.2 when I have a Backup of my Original NAND WITHOUT Soldering or isn't this necessary when I do not use Onlineactivities?

----

Press "UP" while on Downgrade in the Gateway menu.
For all who want to go back to 9.2.

----

Would be interesting to know how I can Reset the Sysnand to it's initial status like it was when I turned the system on for the first time so that I have a really clean sysnand without any stuff in it.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So and how do I get back to 9.2 when I have a Backup of my Original NAND WITHOUT Soldering or isn't this necessary when I do not use Onlineactivities?

----

Press "UP" while on Downgrade in the Gateway menu.
For all who want to go back to 9.2.

----

Would be interesting to know how I can Reset the Sysnand to it's initial status like it was when I turned the system on for the first time so that I have a really clean sysnand without any stuff in it.
Format it (Go into system settings and choose the option "Format System Memory")

Nowcry

Trophies
XP
Country
I dont know if they can do this: (it is only a ideas).
In psp scene we have one addon, when we save on a game, the addon take the save before the save are encrypter. We dont need the keys because we can take the raw savefile and this was implement in cfw easily.

Now in gateway mode we cant read, but in classic mode we can read the game saves >6+ And save. If we can take the save before 3ds encrypt and save it in SD, we can have the save raw. It is better than we fight all days trying get key 6+.

Someone can give "the idea" to gateway with better english, only if it is possible do this, thanks. Sorry for my bad english.

PD: the psp addon is SaveGamer Deemer, i hope this can help someone.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I dont know if they can do this: (it is only a ideas).
In psp scene we have one addon, when we save on a game, the addon take the save before the save are encrypter. We dont need the keys because we can take the raw savefile and this was implement in cfw easily.

Now in gateway mode we cant read, but in classic mode we can read the game saves >6+ And save. If we can take the save before 3ds encrypt and save it in SD, we can have the save raw. It is better than we fight all days trying get key 6+.

Someone can give "the idea" to gateway with better english, only if it is possible do this, thanks. Sorry for my bad english.

PD: the psp addon is SaveGamer Deemer, i hope this can help someone.
Why not dump the whole game?

Nowcry

Trophies
XP
Country
Why not dump the whole game?
My post not have relation with other comments sorry. I am trying give some ideas, we can get a functional save of retail cards with save >6+, although we havent key 6+ But we need development an app similar to save deemer.

Dr Eggman

I am THE Eggman.
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Canada
I need just a bit of help. I've read this guide a few times but still a bit confused. I've just gotten my Gateway, and all the retail games I own are <4.5. I have animal crossing from eshop installed on sysnand along with the ambassador titles. Currently, I'm on 9.2 sysnand. If I create an emuNand, downgrade, will I lose any saves / data? Just want to be safe before I take the plunge.

TotalInfinity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a question for you guys. Is it possible to merge the contents of an SD card together if they were both used on the same 3DS? For example, I've made a backup of all my games and save data from my retail, non hacked 3DS, and saved it all to the computer. I then formatted the SD card, installed the 4.5 CFW (downgrading the 3DS), and played one game on the SD card I installed from a .CIA. Now that my gateway has arrived in the mail, I want to restore my backed up nand, get my 3DS back to 9.2, install 9.4 emunand, and just play everything on emunand. Will I be able to take that one .CIA I installed and its save data and merge it with my earlier backup, so the 3DS sees it along with everything else already on my SD card?

Aliahan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dumped my own copy of Theatrhythm CC along with the save. The rom works fine, but every time I boot the rom it overwrites the save with a fresh one. If I try overwriting that with the save backup, still nothing, the next time the game boots it makes a new file.

I tried running Savedatafiler but the save doesn't show up there. CTR card shows as broken. SysNAND is 9.2, is that why?

What's the proper procedure for backing up and restoring a retail cart save?

Oh, and I changed the rom from .3ds to .3dz which I think might be part of the problem.

TheBroCode

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, and I changed the rom from .3ds to .3dz which I think might be part of the problem.

The encryption key the save uses on the retail cart is the newer one (6.xx +) so won't be compatible with Gateway

It might be possible in the future to decrypt and then re-encrypt save files to make them compatible but not yet.

Reactions: Aliahan

Aliahan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh so it's not possible to use any backup saves created with 6+ encryption at all? That sucks, I thought it would be able to dump and play my retail cart on Gateway. :(

So whenever a Gateway rom creates a save for itself it uses pre-6.x save encryption? >_< I hope somebody cracks that someday.

TheBroCode

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe someone with more knowledge ([user]mmn[/user]?) can help out here, but I was looking at getting these 128kb save files to work. Using StarFox 64 as an example, I found you can open both the retail save and the save Gateway creates with 3DSExplorer. This is what it looks like for each

hzOgBMD.png

Mum4YLd.png

You can save and replace those little .sav files, so what's stopping us from replacing the Gateways with the retails?

(I tried but the game detects it as corrupt <_<)

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am concerned about what I heard about saves and Gateway... Is it true that once I setup Gateway and downgrade my 3DS, that I won't be able to use my Retail cart saves anymore? I got pretty far on some of my games and really don't want to lose all that progress (ex: Pokémon games)... Currently, my 3DS FW is 9.2.0-20U.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Here's some chicken noodle soup and sprite, you will be fine.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sucks my new tv does not fit my old tv wall mount, so gotta take down and buy a new mount, bummer, more holes in the wall.
    +1
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    no...
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    yesssssssssssssssssssssss
    bj bj bj bj bj bj
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just duct tape the TV to the wall ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Weird cause its same size as old one, just a 4k upgrade, oh well, always something.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Unlike @AncientBoi some holes are tighter than the others
    +2
    Try putting it up after a couple of :grog::grog::grog::grog::grog::grog::grog: But only a couple :D
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Was gonna, already cracked open a cold one, but gonna have to wait now, and make a trip to Microcenter, or worst buy
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In speaking of miscares for tvs I must've busted like one hdmi port cause it's all static but others work fine lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a older tv that was like that, luckily it had 3 HDMI ins
    2 here
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But you only like to use the rear one, right
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think if I rebend the metal it'll be fine because it tries to get a signal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @AncientBoi, only fits type c out
    +1
    HDMI 1 [main TV] is loose, HDMI 2 [goes to second TV] is good.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Look into a hdmi splitter
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or most surround sound receivers are 3 HDMI in, one HDMI out to tv, and you can select which hdmi in
    you want on the receiver.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Surround sound receiver is a good $300
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, but so nice for gaming, movies.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ancientboi is old he needs Walmart PA system
    +2
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol