• Views 187,969
  • Replies 340
  • Likes 69

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you downgrade to 4.2? I'd say that's a bit risky... You probably could restore it with Gateway as long as it's a 9.2 image from your 3DS, but messing with the NAND makes me nervous. It would be safer for you to find a game with 6.1 or 8.1 or something and update using that. But then if your 3DS was on the internet long enough, it could have downloaded the update files for 9.4, which it will use instead of whatever's on the cart; if it did that, you'd be absolutely SoL. Not sure what I should tell you to do, to be honest. I downgraded my old, beat up 3DS that I just call my "guinea pig" lol. I use that for my xorpads or whatever 4.2-specific stuff I need, and all my games and such are on my 9.2 3DS.

If your 3DS wasn't on the internet though, I'd say it would be safe to use Bravely Default to update. That'll get you on 6.2.

Just be careful.

Yeah I downgraded to 4.2 so I could use the ds profile exploit method and use the blue cart for ds Roms. I currently have a 9.4 emunand with eshop and everything working. I was totally cool with losing all my saves then remembered I had 40+ hours on Bravely Default and have yet to finish. I have already once successfully restored my nand while it was still on 9.2, but like you said doing it on a downgraded nand makes me nervous. If there's nothing I can do but risk it I might just bite the bullet and restart BD some day.

JordenNixNix

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's very helpful there's only one thing that I wondering.

I want to avoid the unwrap glitch.
I should format the emunand than (because sysnand has important data).
But I want to use my same NNID, friendcode and eShop accound on both nands.

-How could I avoid the unwrap gift glitch and keeping the same accound on both nands (sysnand and emunand)?

- I found clean&legit cia files on a 3ds forum. How can I install them on Sysnand?

-Can I inject my sysnand backup (nand.bin) with my emunand with cia games and reinstall them in the real nand?

Reactions: Margen67

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One little question - is it possible to boot into systemNAND in Gateway Mode after installing emuNAND?

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can extract the Mii Plaza data from my primary 3DS and import it into one of my other 3DSes. ...But I haven't ... attempted to import that data to another unit yet.

Is there a "not" missing at some point? This sounds like you're saying "I can do this, but I don't know if I can do this".

iwasaperson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downgraded to 4.2 without knowing this previously, and then I played games from my Gateway (I should really read before doing things). If I reflash my NAND backup (9.2.0), will my Gateway saves still work? My EmuNAND was 9.4.0 the whole time if that matters.

Reactions: Margen67

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downgraded to 4.2 without knowing this previously, and then I played games from my Gateway (I should really read before doing things). If I reflash my NAND backup (9.2.0), will my Gateway saves still work? My EmuNAND was 9.4.0 the whole time if that matters.

If you do restore your nand backup over 4.2 please post back here to let us know how it worked out. I've been tempted to do the same thing.

Uncle_Iroh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the guide, it was a revelation!

A couple more questions.

1) I have a 3DS XL on 8.1, that has never gone online. Therefore I have no NNId, no FC. Is this a problem? Does this have to be done on Sysnand before generating emunand?
2) Assuming I stay on 8.1 sysnand, will I have full functionality for retail carts AND roms (>6.x or otherwise) using Emunand? Esp online. I assume Classic mode for Retail carts, and GW mode for roms.
3) Is there any functionality that can be accessed only in sysnand, and not in emunand?
4) What exactly are the advantages of CIA over .3ds/.3dz roms? What are the differences?
5) Once in classic mode, do regular things like pokebank work? Again, for retail carts.
6) Is emunand completely safe to screw around with?
7) Do DS flashcarts work with emunand?
8) Will I ever need an SD card (big SD) more than 4gb?

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to ask, but it's possible to use retail Pokemon X into Emunand 9.4?

Yes. You just can't extract the save (without powersaves). You also can't downgrade to sysnand 4.x, otherwise the save won't load even on the retail cart. Same goes for upgrading to sysnand 9.x after starting a retail save on sysnand 4.x.

LOL ppl who think u were arrogant are just jealous they didn't post anything as good as this

n1 m8

Yes, your Gateway saves should still work. Gateway made sure of that.

Thanks for the guide, it was a revelation!

A couple more questions.

1) I have a 3DS XL on 8.1, that has never gone online. Therefore I have no NNId, no FC. Is this a problem? Does this have to be done on Sysnand before generating emunand?
2) Assuming I stay on 8.1 sysnand, will I have full functionality for retail carts AND roms (>6.x or otherwise) using Emunand? Esp online. I assume Classic mode for Retail carts, and GW mode for roms.
3) Is there any functionality that can be accessed only in sysnand, and not in emunand?
4) What exactly are the advantages of CIA over .3ds/.3dz roms? What are the differences?
5) Once in classic mode, do regular things like pokebank work? Again, for retail carts.
6) Is emunand completely safe to screw around with?
7) Do DS flashcarts work with emunand?
8) Will I ever need an SD card (big SD) more than 4gb?

1) I don't know the answer to this, sorry. It doesn't seem like it should be a problem though.
2) Yes, you'll have about as full as the functionality gets at the moment. The only trouble you'd have is from trying to transfer saves between retail and gateway.
3) Not as far as I'm aware
4) Automatically trimmed size, always online-ready (no need to inject headers into .3ds), installed directly to home menu
5) Yes, regular eshop titles work normally in emunand (unless you're playing a >6.0.0 game, in which case you won't be able to export the save with savedatafiler. It'll still work, though.)
6) Pretty much, as long as you have a backup and your nands aren't linked.
7) I don't think so, but you can use them on sysnand just fine. It's something about how DS mode gets loaded that boots you out of emunand, I think.
8) I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but I'd recommend it if you planned on installing any eshop games/cias. Keep in mind that you might also need room for downloaded game updates, and that you need enough room on an SD for twice the size of any cia you install.

Reactions: thorasgar

Uncle_Iroh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4) Automatically trimmed size, always online-ready (no need to inject headers into .3ds), installed directly to home menu
8. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but I'd recommend it if you planned on installing any eshop games/cias. Keep in mind that you might also need room for downloaded game updates, and that you need enough room on an SD for twice the size of any cia you install.

So CIA files are installed to SD, not the microsd in the GW?

Also, thanks a ton for replying.

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So CIA files are installed to SD, not the microsd in the GW?

Also, thanks a ton for replying.

Yes. You can think of it like this: When you buy a game from the eshop, nintendo sends you a (more nicely packaged and signed) .cia file that gets installed to your SD card.

Uncle_Iroh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. You can think of it like this: When you buy a game from the eshop, nintendo sends you a (more nicely packaged and signed) .cia file that gets installed to your SD card.

This last question is silly, but a micro sd inside an adapter will function perfectly as a SD, right? Cuz I've already ordered a 64 gig micro sd, but CIA sounds so awesome, and I don't want to buy another card.

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to make a whole thread about this, so hopefully someone here might know about this: can I make title.db read-only? I don't exactly want to screw up my stuff in sysNAND, but I'm trying to see if making it read-only it will quit the annoying gift wrap stuff every time I boot emuNAND. So long as I make it writable whenever I want to install something, this might just work.

I at least know I can delete sysNAND to fix this, but I'm not quite ready to do that yet.

Shad0wninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This helped so much! Few more lingering questions

Can I use the Gateway with 2 3DS'? Like me and my brother share the same Gateway, use it on mine and use it on his 3ds? We just switch the SD Card based on who's playing? Or is it a lot more complicated than that?

Is there a list of games that use save encryption below version 6? I want to know if I will still retain my save data for my retail carts of Pokemon X, Y, Super Smash Bros 3DS, Animal Crossing etc when I get the Gateway and if I decide to play them.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This last question is silly, but a micro sd inside an adapter will function perfectly as a SD, right? Cuz I've already ordered a 64 gig micro sd, but CIA sounds so awesome, and I don't want to buy another card.
Yes a mSD in an adapter will work. The other advantage with this approach is the N3DS does not use a SD just mSD. What are you going to put in the red card?

There is one problem with your plan on being an SD card miser. If you go into eShop in emunand all your cia files will get deleted, at least your illegit ones. So if you plan on using eShop you will need a second SD emunand and no cia files for downloading content. You could get ny with one and deal with backing up and moving files all over place but that is a lot of time tapping your fingers as GBs go back and forth. A 32GB SD is about $14 on sale on Amazon.

If it makes you feel any better think about all the early GW users that needed a mSD FOR EACH GAME befor multi rom menu was released.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This helped so much! Few more lingering questions

Can I use the Gateway with 2 3DS'? Like me and my brother share the same Gateway, use it on mine and use it on his 3ds? We just switch the SD Card based on who's playing? Or is it a lot more complicated than that?

Is there a list of games that use save encryption below version 6? I want to know if I will still retain my save data for my retail carts of Pokemon X, Y, Super Smash Bros 3DS, Animal Crossing etc when I get the Gateway and if I decide to play them.
You can share under some restrictions. Option 1. All games are cia installed to the internal SD and you just use the GW for booting into emunand. If you boot into classic mode to use a retail cart you will need the red card to boot back I to GW mode. If you are separated who gets the red card?

Option 2 3ds and 3dz games on red card but only one of you can play at a time. Buy a timer.

I have two boys, neither of those options is acceptable to me. I look for ways to reduce the chaos not incite it. ;). When my boys play SSB they are pleasant and I can relax, when they play NSMB or 3D world together it is a knock down screaming melee.

Bookmark 3ds.essh.co, you will need it for title IDs, updates on carts and encryption.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night