Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Three questions:

1) I am still trying to figure out how to dump the save game of Streetpass Mii Plaza (to transfer it from one machine to another). Is it possible to do this?

2) I had a Pokemon ORAS demo on the Gateway as a .3ds. I downloaded one off the eshop and transferred the save using SaveDataFiler. This worked. My machine is SysNAND 4.1 and Em,uNAND 9.4. From what you are saying, the one on the Gateway runs using old encryption. ORAS demo uses 7.0.0 which means that the one from the eshop would use new encryption. So how did this work?

3) Would it be possible to modify this guide to also explain the situation with NNIDS, which is almost as confusing? (I guess if you did this you'd have to rename the title)

For 1 what is your region?

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a reply telling me I'd be able to play my retail Persona Q and Smash etc. with EmuNAND on 9.2, with my 4.5 SysNAND. This guide says that's not possible. Could I get some clarification please as to which one is right?

You should be able to play those games on 4.5 sysnand w/ 9.2 emunand in Classic mode. The issues start happening when you:
  1. Want to dump the roms/saves and play the save files
  2. Upgrade sysnand past 6.0.0-11 after saving the game on pre-6.0.0-11 sysnand, or downgrade to pre-6.0.0-11 after saving the game on post-6.0.0-11 sysnand

RikuCrafter

Trophies
XP
Country
You should be able to play those games on 4.5 sysnand w/ 9.2 emunand in Classic mode. The issues start happening when you:
  1. Want to dump the roms/saves and play the save files
  2. Upgrade sysnand past 6.0.0-11 after saving the game on pre-6.0.0-11 sysnand, or downgrade to pre-6.0.0-11 after saving the game on post-6.0.0-11 sysnand
I only play my 3DS at home, so I think I'm probably better off just restoring my 9.2 SysNAND. I've played all these games a lot on my 9.2, so I think I'd be out of luck. Thanks a lot for the guide and for your help, you really are a huge service to the community.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For 1 what is your region?

USA.

(Also, no downgrading is involved here; this was a 4.1 machine all along.)

Streetpass Mii Plaza can dump ext data (the ID is 218) but loading this ext data does nothing. http://3dbrew.org/wiki/System_SaveData suggests that there is a system save data for Mii Plaza, and I can't see a way for SaveDataFiler to dump that. There is something listed for 218 in SaveDataFiler under the "User" tab but it says -- broken --" and does not let me export it.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
USA.

(Also, no downgrading is involved here; this was a 4.1 machine all along.)

Streetpass Mii Plaza can dump ext data (the ID is 218) but loading this ext data does nothing. http://3dbrew.org/wiki/System_SaveData suggests that there is a system save data for Mii Plaza, and I can't see a way for SaveDataFiler to dump that. There is something listed for 218 in SaveDataFiler under the "User" tab but it says -- broken --" and does not let me export it.

I do not know then, good luck!

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Three questions:

1) I am still trying to figure out how to dump the save game of Streetpass Mii Plaza (to transfer it from one machine to another). Is it possible to do this?

2) I had a Pokemon ORAS demo on the Gateway as a .3ds. I downloaded one off the eshop and transferred the save using SaveDataFiler. This worked. My machine is SysNAND 4.1 and Em,uNAND 9.4. From what you are saying, the one on the Gateway runs using old encryption. ORAS demo uses 7.0.0 which means that the one from the eshop would use new encryption. So how did this work?

3) Would it be possible to modify this guide to also explain the situation with NNIDS, which is almost as confusing? (I guess if you did this you'd have to rename the title)
1) I don't know. I tried and failed transfer my streetpass data from sysnand to emunand. Let me know if you find out how, and I'll add it or link it in the guide.

2) Well, it's the exact same game. Assuming the .3ds file acted like a Card 2 game, this should work. Both versions of the demo that you had would use the 4.x sysnand key for encrypting the save, assuming you did it on the same 3ds.

3) There are quite a few things I'm unfamiliar with, including NNIDs and System Transfers; I just haven't had a need to read about them. If someone writes a good explanation I can include it or link to it, or if I learn about it I'll add it myself.

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You state that you can't downgrade and then use retail carts with the new encryption but I have read people saying the opposite saying the games work in emunand classic mode after a downgrade.

More important then carts to me would be if you could you clarify on downgrading and keeping e-shop saves that have new encryption. Before your thread I was sure I could downgrade then keep playing my eshop games with new encryption in Gateway classic mode. Now I'm just a little unsure.

I'm trying to learn as much as possible before my Gateway gets to me in the mail.

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retail -> cia works for pre-6.0.0 card 2 games. If you have an MT Card, retail -> cia works for all pre-6.0.0 games.

Just as an FYI, it is indeed possible to take any pre-6.0.0 save from retail -> cia using CFW and savedatafiler. Getting the CFW to freaking work was a long and arduous task, but I actually managed to do it. From the 2 games I tried, the resulting saves loaded up 100% successfully on the eShop/CIA versions of those games on a different 3DS's 9.2 emuNAND.

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You state that you can't downgrade and then use retail carts with the new encryption but I have read people saying the opposite saying the games work in emunand classic mode after a downgrade.

More important then carts to me would be if you could you clarify on downgrading and keeping e-shop saves that have new encryption. Before your thread I was sure I could downgrade then keep playing my eshop games with new encryption in Gateway classic mode. Now I'm just a little unsure.

I'm trying to learn as much as possible before my Gateway gets to me in the mail.

The games work, but any saves made on retail carts before downgrading shouldn't work after downgrading.

You can downgrade and keep your eshop saves; savedatafiler extracts decrypted saves. Just back up all of your saves using savedatafiler before downgrading, then restore them later. See the section in the guide named "Eshop games and .cia files".

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reference to being on 4.5 to 9.2 should be to being on above 4.5 to 9.2.

Not according to the GW website and the below quote
Less than ten lines in and I've already found your first error.

The system versions that can exploited with Gateway 3.x range "from 4.5 and all the way up to 9.2" according to their announcement blog post.

To further support this I'm currently running Gateway 3.0 on my 4.5 system, and am able to load emuNAND both by the DS Profile exploit and the Go web exploit.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in theory, if someone installs a CIA of something like perhaps Shin Megami Tensei IV, they could use SaveDataFiler to back up the save and put it on another 3DS, yeah? Does it matter if it's a different emunand/system, seeing as it'd have a different signature or whatever? Really want to try SMT IV again and get the Chaos route out of the way, but I'd just as soon play from the route split rather than do another new game.

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in theory, if someone installs a CIA of something like perhaps Shin Megami Tensei IV, they could use SaveDataFiler to back up the save and put it on another 3DS, yeah? Does it matter if it's a different emunand/system, seeing as it'd have a different signature or whatever? Really want to try SMT IV again and get the Chaos route out of the way, but I'd just as soon play from the route split rather than do another new game.

Yes, I'm pretty sure this is possible, and how people are making and sharing hacked saves. Savedatafiler extracts the decrypted save.

Reactions: Margen67

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The games work, but any saves made on retail carts before downgrading shouldn't work after downgrading.

You can downgrade and keep your eshop saves; savedatafiler extracts decrypted saves. Just back up all of your saves using savedatafiler before downgrading, then restore them later. See the section in the guide named "Eshop games and .cia files".

Thanks, I had thought I read that even now savedatafilter could not decrypt the new encryption. Everything I found on that subject said that regular Gateway mode could not do the new encryption and the classic mode could but could not do CIA stuff. but I just read your instructions more clearly and in yours the savedatafilter is a 3ds not cia which I never knew existed.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Alright, I fixed that, thanks.

Oh my god I just reread that and I can't believe I actually published that.
:mellow:
Needless to say, I've removed it.
Thanks for taking on our constructive criticism and making the necessary adjustments.

Sometimes you need to reread your work with someone else's perspective in mind to realise how others may interpret your writing. No harm, no foul.

Reactions: Margen67 and mmn

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the future, what would need to be done in order to move Gateway cart saves (for .3ds/.3dz games), regardless of whether or not it has 6.0.0 save encryption, to their .cia equivalents? At the moment, savedatafiler can read saves from retail carts and import them to digital copies of the game, so long as savedatafiler is running in CFW and the carts ship with firmware below 6.0.0. However, because emuNAND uses a 4.x key, and savedatafiler/Nintendo's Save Transfer tool can't read a save from a Gateway cart anyway, there doesn't seem to be a method right now that allows us to import Gateway saves to a digital copy of the game.

So, in this case, what would need to be done? I can't exactly wrap my head around how this could be accomplished.

I've tried converting a ROM (pre 6.0.0 at that) from CARD1 to CARD2, and subsequently importing the save into the CARD2 ROM. Unsurprisingly, the game thinks it's corrupted, but I don't have enough experience with this to be convinced that it simply won't work. As we know, CARD2 games can be extracted while in gateway mode, which would mean you can move all your gateway saves over so long as you started the game in CARD2 mode. That's if the game will save as a CARD2 though, and I've not yet tried it. But if that works, it means any new game you start on Gateway would transfer just fine as long as you convert the game to CARD2 before saving. And if you could somehow import the save you started on a CARD1 ROM and have it magically work, we would be pretty much set.

Now if only I could decrypt my Alpha Sapphire retail save without a Powersave... That would make me very happy :)

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill