GUIDE: PS3 4.82 CFW Installation for Dummies

PS3 4.82 CFW Installation Guide for Dummies

Welcome to my first Sony Playstation 3™ guide! I’ll be covering the installation of Custom Firmware (CFW) on an Official Firmware (OFW) v4.82 console. CFW allows you to run unsigned code often called “Homebrew” on your PS3. Examples of the types of homebrew you can use are a multimedia video player, emulators, game backups and even a program that will remove the Cinavia DRM from the console.

You can install CFW on your PS3 if it is a “Phat” or “Slim” model, but not on the “Super Slim” (top disc loading) models. Not all Slim PS3 are supported so you’ll want to make sure to not to mess with the console or otherwise you’ll “brick” (ruin) it. You also do not want to try to install the exploit covered in this guide on an already CFW PS3 system or you will “brick”.

First off you’re going to need to see if your PS3 can be hacked. You can do this by checking the minimum firmware version of your PS3. This is accomplished by running a fake update program on your PS3 that will display the minimum firmware. This method is by far fool proof as simply checking your consoles serial number can lead to assumptions based on what is known about the PS3 models.

fat32_drive_properties.jpg

ps3update_on_drive.jpg

You’ll first need to acquire the “MVC Firmware Checker” RAR file after which you will need to extract using a program like 7-zip or WinRAR. Once you’ve extracted the archive you’ll end up with a file named “PS3UPDAT.PUP” and you need to place it on a USB Hard Disk Drive or Flash Drive which has been formatted using FAT32. Once you have your medium formatted create a folder under the root of the drive named “PS3” (without the quotes) and inside of that folder create another folder called “UPDATE” and then place the PS3UPDAT.PUP file inside of the UPDATE folder.

Min_Ver_Chk-4.jpg

Next insert the drive into your PS3 and then from the XMB™ menu, select (Settings) > (System Update), and then select (Update via Storage Media). Your PS3 will display your USB drive which you will select. You have to run this file via the XMB and not under the Recovery Mode as it won’t work (if you don’t know what the Recovery Mode is then don’t worry about it). After running the update the PS3 will display a string of text containing the minimum firmware version (minver) your console can use. If it displays 3.60 or higher then you will brick your console if you try to hack it using this guide – stop now and go buy a used PS3. If your PS3 displays 3.56 or lower you can proceed.

system_version.jpg

Currently the only firmware version you can hack is 3.56 and lower (this is not covered in this guide) or firmware version 4.82. To check to see which firmware version you’re currently using go to (Settings) > (System Settings) > (System Information). If it is 4.81 or less you’ll need to upgrade to the latest firmware. I suggest not using the built in firmware update option using the Internet, but downloading the 4.82 firmware and updating the system manually. Make sure to disconnect your PS3 from the Internet and take out any game discs before proceeding.

You’ll follow the same steps you took for the MVC Firmware Checker, but this time instead of displaying the minver it will update your console (same deal; just copy the PS3UPDAT.PUP file from the 4.82 OFW archive you downloaded, place it on your FAT32 formatted USB drive under PS3 -> UPDATE and then run the update). Congrats, you now have an exploitable firmware.

The actual exploit that allows CFW installation is a webkit exploit (a bug was found in the Internet browser that is built into the PS3 that allows for CFW to be installed). This is accomplished by using a small web server program that will host the exploit files which you will access from your PS3. It is highly suggested not to use another person/organizations remote webpage to hack you PS3 with as it may contain harmful code or it may steal important files from your PS3 – play it safe and host it yourself.

You’ll want to download and extract the “NOR_NAND_writer_release_1.0_PS3Xploit.zip” into a folder your desktop and then inside of that folder create another folder named “htdocs”. Now select the files “nand-482.html”, “nor-482.html” and “xp_rel_writer10.js” files and move them into the htdocs folder you just created. Next take the “flsh.hex“ file contained in the “hex-482--COPY-TO-USB-ONLY-IF-482-FIRMWARE-OR-WILL-SOFTBRICK” folder and place it on the root of your FAT32 formatted USB drive.

usb_ports.jpg

usb_device_showing.jpg

Place the USB drive into the right most USB port (the one closest to the optical disc drive). You should be able to see your USB drive under the PS3 categories on the XMB; if not try another USB drive.

server_ip_address_status_screen.jpg

First start off by reconnecting your PS3 to the Internet then double click on the miniweb.exe file (allow it to bypass the firewall if asked) and then take note of the string of numbers after the “Host” text. These numbers are your computers IP address which you will input into the PS3.

browser_blank_page_homepage.jpg

browser_delete_cache.jpg

With the USB drive inserted into the right most USB slot containing the “flsh.hex“ launch the Web Browser. Next press /\ (triangle) to pull up the options and navigate to (Tools) > (Homepage) and set your homepage as “blank”. Next you’ll want to access the menu again and this time clear your Internet cache by navigating to (Tools) > (Delete Cache). Once this is done close the Internet Browser and re-launch it. Next press /\ (triangle) and navigate to (File) and then input your computers IP address. It should look something like this …

web_exploit_interface.jpg

Once you load this page you’ll want to select the file that corresponds to the type of flash memory the PS3 uses and system storage. This part is very important. Here is a little chart of the type of flash memory the PS3 uses (either NAND or NOR).

ps3slim_serialnumber.jpg

nand_nor_serial_number_list.jpg

If your console has a NAND chip select “nand-482.html” or if it has NOR select “nor-482.html” and then select the “Write to NOR/NAND flash memory”. The exploit will now start itself and you’ll be greeted by some green text saying it was successful (this may take a little while to do). Once the exploit is successfully loaded it will then patch your NOR/NAND flash memory with the code contained in the “flsh.hex“ file which should be plugged into the right most USB port. The process should only take a couple of minutes as the PS3 will beep and then shut itself down if the code injection exploit worked.

If your PS3 freezes (the virtual mouse won’t respond) for more than 10 minutes power down the PS3 by holding the power button down (the one on the PS3 itself). After a few seconds your PS3 will shut down. Turn on your PS3 and then when the prompt to scan the hard drive for errors comes up press O (circle) to cancel it, load the web browser back up and try the exploit again. It may take many tries to get the exploit to work (it took me 3 hours of rebooting until it finally worked). You’ll know when it worked when the PS3 beeps and shuts down all by itself.

firmware_on_drive_display_update_section.jpg

Once you have the patched firmware (you got this by a successful exploitation of the system) you can proceed to install REBUG. First you want to disconnect the PS3 from the Internet and remove any disc in the drive. Next download the “REBUG_4.82.1_LITE_ PS3UPDAT.PUP” archive, extract it, rename the “PUP” file to “PS3UPDAT.PUP” (make sure it’s all caps) and then follow the same process for flashing this CFW as already covered in in this guide (remember, place it under PS3/UPDATE on the FAT32 formatted USB drive and then run the System Update option).

rebug.jpg

Once the firmware is installed successfully you now have a homebrew enabled Sony PS3 console! Welcome to the world of homebrew!

guide by cots/pitt - version 1

pitt.png

shadowfocus603

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't it ultra slim models capable of cfw installation on 4.81? Or isn't released yet the exploit?
Everything posted everywhere specifically states late model slims and all ultra slims are not compatible with ps3xploit. It's due to the fact that they were never shipped with 3.56 or lower firmware. If you try this exploit on anything that is minimum version 3.60 you WILL brick.

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Question: I installed rebug 4.81 and I want to update to rebug 4.82, can I simply install rebug as a PS3UPDAT.PUP file?
Will this break my current installed games and webman?

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: I installed rebug 4.81 and I want to update to rebug 4.82, can I simply install rebug as a PS3UPDAT.PUP file?
Will this break my current installed games and webman?

Yes, you can update directly using the PUP. It won't break anything. Make sure to get the new toolbox app to toggle Cobra back on.

barak06

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi !
I'm on 4.70 CFW.
Is your tuto safe for me ?
Do i have to start from begining or just update directly to 4.82 PUP ?
What are the improvments in 4.82 CFW compare to 4.70 ?
thx

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi !
I'm on 4.70 CFW.
Is your tuto safe for me ?
Do i have to start from begining or just update directly to 4.82 PUP ?
What are the improvments in 4.82 CFW compare to 4.70 ?
thx

If you're already on CFW do not attempt to do this guide or you will brick. Update manually to another CFW like REBUG or FERROX.

Frozen0tter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
After doing this I can’t update to the most recent Rebug 4.82. I put it on the usb in the correct folders. PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP but the ps3 doesn’t give me the option to update via storage media. It immediately finds OFW 4.82. Even disconnected from the internet and with no usb in the option to update via storage device doesn’t appear. It just finds 4.82 again. If click install it gives me an error. I can’t go into safe mode because I only have a third party controller. Is there a way to delete the corrupt update off the ps3 using multiman to search through system files?

D

Deleted User

Hi. I'm going to buy PS3 Phat with broken BD. It can't load any discs. My question is: can I install CFW without any problem? Can I run Internet Browser to load flash? Sorry if I missed something, I need to be sure it will works. Thanks.

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep getting "Data is corrupted" when trying to install rebug.

Are you trying to install it from the recovery menu or the XMB? The recovery menu won't work. Make sure you have 4.82 of the rebug placed in "<drive>:\PS3\UPDATE". It's possible that the hack didn't work because you chose NOR for a NAND system or NAND for a NOR system.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted User

Yes, you just need to use a NoBD CFW.
Thank you. Btw, I've read some people who tried updating PS3 with broken BD says it failed or get stuck in loop. I don't know on which OFW is PS3. It will be any problem or something?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't really see the point in updating it tbh