GUIDE: PS3 4.82 CFW Installation for Dummies

PS3 4.82 CFW Installation Guide for Dummies

Welcome to my first Sony Playstation 3™ guide! I’ll be covering the installation of Custom Firmware (CFW) on an Official Firmware (OFW) v4.82 console. CFW allows you to run unsigned code often called “Homebrew” on your PS3. Examples of the types of homebrew you can use are a multimedia video player, emulators, game backups and even a program that will remove the Cinavia DRM from the console.

You can install CFW on your PS3 if it is a “Phat” or “Slim” model, but not on the “Super Slim” (top disc loading) models. Not all Slim PS3 are supported so you’ll want to make sure to not to mess with the console or otherwise you’ll “brick” (ruin) it. You also do not want to try to install the exploit covered in this guide on an already CFW PS3 system or you will “brick”.

First off you’re going to need to see if your PS3 can be hacked. You can do this by checking the minimum firmware version of your PS3. This is accomplished by running a fake update program on your PS3 that will display the minimum firmware. This method is by far fool proof as simply checking your consoles serial number can lead to assumptions based on what is known about the PS3 models.

fat32_drive_properties.jpg

ps3update_on_drive.jpg

You’ll first need to acquire the “MVC Firmware Checker” RAR file after which you will need to extract using a program like 7-zip or WinRAR. Once you’ve extracted the archive you’ll end up with a file named “PS3UPDAT.PUP” and you need to place it on a USB Hard Disk Drive or Flash Drive which has been formatted using FAT32. Once you have your medium formatted create a folder under the root of the drive named “PS3” (without the quotes) and inside of that folder create another folder called “UPDATE” and then place the PS3UPDAT.PUP file inside of the UPDATE folder.

Min_Ver_Chk-4.jpg

Next insert the drive into your PS3 and then from the XMB™ menu, select (Settings) > (System Update), and then select (Update via Storage Media). Your PS3 will display your USB drive which you will select. You have to run this file via the XMB and not under the Recovery Mode as it won’t work (if you don’t know what the Recovery Mode is then don’t worry about it). After running the update the PS3 will display a string of text containing the minimum firmware version (minver) your console can use. If it displays 3.60 or higher then you will brick your console if you try to hack it using this guide – stop now and go buy a used PS3. If your PS3 displays 3.56 or lower you can proceed.

system_version.jpg

Currently the only firmware version you can hack is 3.56 and lower (this is not covered in this guide) or firmware version 4.82. To check to see which firmware version you’re currently using go to (Settings) > (System Settings) > (System Information). If it is 4.81 or less you’ll need to upgrade to the latest firmware. I suggest not using the built in firmware update option using the Internet, but downloading the 4.82 firmware and updating the system manually. Make sure to disconnect your PS3 from the Internet and take out any game discs before proceeding.

You’ll follow the same steps you took for the MVC Firmware Checker, but this time instead of displaying the minver it will update your console (same deal; just copy the PS3UPDAT.PUP file from the 4.82 OFW archive you downloaded, place it on your FAT32 formatted USB drive under PS3 -> UPDATE and then run the update). Congrats, you now have an exploitable firmware.

The actual exploit that allows CFW installation is a webkit exploit (a bug was found in the Internet browser that is built into the PS3 that allows for CFW to be installed). This is accomplished by using a small web server program that will host the exploit files which you will access from your PS3. It is highly suggested not to use another person/organizations remote webpage to hack you PS3 with as it may contain harmful code or it may steal important files from your PS3 – play it safe and host it yourself.

You’ll want to download and extract the “NOR_NAND_writer_release_1.0_PS3Xploit.zip” into a folder your desktop and then inside of that folder create another folder named “htdocs”. Now select the files “nand-482.html”, “nor-482.html” and “xp_rel_writer10.js” files and move them into the htdocs folder you just created. Next take the “flsh.hex“ file contained in the “hex-482--COPY-TO-USB-ONLY-IF-482-FIRMWARE-OR-WILL-SOFTBRICK” folder and place it on the root of your FAT32 formatted USB drive.

usb_ports.jpg

usb_device_showing.jpg

Place the USB drive into the right most USB port (the one closest to the optical disc drive). You should be able to see your USB drive under the PS3 categories on the XMB; if not try another USB drive.

server_ip_address_status_screen.jpg

First start off by reconnecting your PS3 to the Internet then double click on the miniweb.exe file (allow it to bypass the firewall if asked) and then take note of the string of numbers after the “Host” text. These numbers are your computers IP address which you will input into the PS3.

browser_blank_page_homepage.jpg

browser_delete_cache.jpg

With the USB drive inserted into the right most USB slot containing the “flsh.hex“ launch the Web Browser. Next press /\ (triangle) to pull up the options and navigate to (Tools) > (Homepage) and set your homepage as “blank”. Next you’ll want to access the menu again and this time clear your Internet cache by navigating to (Tools) > (Delete Cache). Once this is done close the Internet Browser and re-launch it. Next press /\ (triangle) and navigate to (File) and then input your computers IP address. It should look something like this …

web_exploit_interface.jpg

Once you load this page you’ll want to select the file that corresponds to the type of flash memory the PS3 uses and system storage. This part is very important. Here is a little chart of the type of flash memory the PS3 uses (either NAND or NOR).

ps3slim_serialnumber.jpg

nand_nor_serial_number_list.jpg

If your console has a NAND chip select “nand-482.html” or if it has NOR select “nor-482.html” and then select the “Write to NOR/NAND flash memory”. The exploit will now start itself and you’ll be greeted by some green text saying it was successful (this may take a little while to do). Once the exploit is successfully loaded it will then patch your NOR/NAND flash memory with the code contained in the “flsh.hex“ file which should be plugged into the right most USB port. The process should only take a couple of minutes as the PS3 will beep and then shut itself down if the code injection exploit worked.

If your PS3 freezes (the virtual mouse won’t respond) for more than 10 minutes power down the PS3 by holding the power button down (the one on the PS3 itself). After a few seconds your PS3 will shut down. Turn on your PS3 and then when the prompt to scan the hard drive for errors comes up press O (circle) to cancel it, load the web browser back up and try the exploit again. It may take many tries to get the exploit to work (it took me 3 hours of rebooting until it finally worked). You’ll know when it worked when the PS3 beeps and shuts down all by itself.

firmware_on_drive_display_update_section.jpg

Once you have the patched firmware (you got this by a successful exploitation of the system) you can proceed to install REBUG. First you want to disconnect the PS3 from the Internet and remove any disc in the drive. Next download the “REBUG_4.82.1_LITE_ PS3UPDAT.PUP” archive, extract it, rename the “PUP” file to “PS3UPDAT.PUP” (make sure it’s all caps) and then follow the same process for flashing this CFW as already covered in in this guide (remember, place it under PS3/UPDATE on the FAT32 formatted USB drive and then run the System Update option).

rebug.jpg

Once the firmware is installed successfully you now have a homebrew enabled Sony PS3 console! Welcome to the world of homebrew!

guide by cots/pitt - version 1

pitt.png

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering if this is common.

I keep getting an error that it the exploit failed, then get a success message, however it never goes any further than that? Is that common and I just have to keep at it? or a sign of a larger problem?

You want it to reset (power cycle) your console. I had the same problem using a 3rd party HTTP server. As soon as I used the version that came with the exploit it worked the first time. I hope that helps.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want it to reset (power cycle) your console. I had the same problem using a 3rd party HTTP server. As soon as I used the version that came with the exploit it worked the first time. I hope that helps.

Thanks. That's what I'm attempting to do.

And I'm using everything that's in the front guide. I'm not trying to use any other servers or anything.

maraxion

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Great guide, wish I had found this sooner.
IM currently on ferrox 4.82 but I cannot seem to run isos so I understand rebug with cobra is better?
But can I directly upgrade from ferrox 4.82.1 to new new rebug 4.82.2 rex version(or should I take another) Or do I first have to do some downgrading?
Just had the machine 3 days so im brand new to this. Just want a stable build to game with the kids.

Last edited by maraxion,

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great guide, wish I had found this sooner.
IM currently on ferrox 4.82 but I cannot seem to run isos so I understand rebug with cobra is better?
But can I directly upgrade from ferrox 4.82.1 to new new rebug 4.82.2 rex version(or should I take another) Or do I first have to do some downgrading?
Just had the machine 3 days so im brand new to this. Just want a stable build to game with the kids.

You need a CFW with Cobra to run .iso files directly. You can simply flash the latest Rebug REX over your current CFW. This guide is for hacking a console with no CFW. Do not attempt this guide with a CFW console! Just simply download Rebug REX and flash it like you would a normal firmware update. Good luck!

arrom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sorry for being to lazy.

My PS3 had been packed in a box for a looong time, and today I decided to take it out. Unfortunately I can not remember all the stuff I did with him:
I know that:
1) I am on firmware 4.46
2) I installed REBUG on it (When it boots, it shows Rebug logo)
3) It run out of battery (I have to set up the date every time I turn it on - probably irrelevant)
4) I had to do a format (probably because of *3*)
5) I have no package managers (lost multiman), and I lost my backed up games (Mortal Kombat 6 has such a annoying loading time from disc...)

I have a "new" game that requires an update firmware (only tryed MGS V). But of course, I would prefer custom firmware.

So, how should I move from my old Rebug? I ve searched and some people say that It is possible to just download 4.82 lite and install from XMB, other people say that it is better to do it in recover mode. Other say that it is best to get 4.82 OFW and hack it again.

What is the best approach?

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for being to lazy.

My PS3 had been packed in a box for a looong time, and today I decided to take it out. Unfortunately I can not remember all the stuff I did with him:
I know that:
1) I am on firmware 4.46
2) I installed REBUG on it (When it boots, it shows Rebug logo)
3) It run out of battery (I have to set up the date every time I turn it on - probably irrelevant)
4) I had to do a format (probably because of *3*)
5) I have no package managers (lost multiman), and I lost my backed up games (Mortal Kombat 6 has such a annoying loading time from disc...)

I have a "new" game that requires an update firmware (only tryed MGS V). But of course, I would prefer custom firmware.

So, how should I move from my old Rebug? I ve searched and some people say that It is possible to just download 4.82 lite and install from XMB, other people say that it is better to do it in recover mode. Other say that it is best to get 4.82 OFW and hack it again.

What is the best approach?

You can simply install Rebug using the XMB on your current setup. If for some reason the XMB install fails then you can use the recovery mode.

Reactions: arrom

Bushido1992

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My ps3 slim (CECH-3004A) Supports only Update data 3.66 and is NOT compatible with nor flasher? Any Website say's cech-3xxxA is compatible the other says no?

Coltz-Pun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey, the nor/nand writer 1.0 link is down, reupload?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Dangerous File Blocked
The file you attempted to download was determined to be dangerous. For your protection, MediaFire does not enable distribution of dangerous files.

Still have questions, or think we've made a mistake? Please contact support for further assistance.

Dangerous File Blocked
The file you attempted to download was determined to be dangerous. For your protection, MediaFire does not enable distribution of dangerous files.

Still have questions, or think we've made a mistake? Please contact support for further assistance.
that's what it says

ultrab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, i need help pls, ive been following the guide and everything was going well until i got to the install the rebug CFW, i did everything like u said, and when installing rebug i get a "data corrupted" error, everytime at around 70% shows that and doesnt install rebug, my PS3 is a NAND system, help me pls :(

EDIT: It seems like my system is a NOR one, but the serial says its a NAND, i dont know whats going on lol, anyway, after pick the NOR flash type in the site, it installed normally ^^ , can anyone tell me now how do i install and play ISO games ?

Last edited by ultrab,

Rploesser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed all of the steps above. But when I try to install rebug 4.82 the ps3 says no applicable update found. Did I do something wrong? The rebug update is renamed to PS3UPDAT.PUP. At the root of my thumb drive is a folder named PS3. Inside the PS3 folder is another folder named UPDATE. Inside the update folder is where I put the renamed rebug update file. Still no luck...

regina_spektor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
First of all, thanks for the great guide. A question though. At the last step, can I install any CFW instead of the suggested one? I wanted to install the full version of REBUG insted of the Lite.
REX COBRA 7.55 EDITION – INSTALL ON CEX PS3 SYSTEM
REBUG 4.82.2 REX EDITION
– Apr. 16th 2018

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, thanks for the great guide. A question though. At the last step, can I install any CFW instead of the suggested one? I wanted to install the full version of REBUG insted of the Lite.
REX COBRA 7.55 EDITION – INSTALL ON CEX PS3 SYSTEM
REBUG 4.82.2 REX EDITION
– Apr. 16th 2018
Not the guy who wrote the guide, but that should be fine; it's what I did. The guide is a little bit outdated now anyway.

Reactions: regina_spektor

regina_spektor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not the guy who wrote the guide, but that should be fine; it's what I did. The guide is a little bit outdated now anyway.
Thanks for the reply. It is a bit outdated but I guess the main files for the jailbreak, are still up to date, right? I will do this do a friend's PS3 this Tuesday and I don't want to mess it up :) About the CFW, I guess I can install this one, and then update to other one, activating QA Flags, it shouldn't be trouble. Thanks again!

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. It is a bit outdated but I guess the main files for the jailbreak, are still up to date, right? I will do this do a friend's PS3 this Tuesday and I don't want to mess it up :) About the CFW, I guess I can install this one, and then update to other one, activating QA Flags, it shouldn't be trouble. Thanks again!
A newer version of ps3exploit was released a few months back actually. It does the same thing, but it's a bit safer to use if I remember correctly. Not sure if I can link it directly, but you can find its page by searching "PS3Xploit Flash Writer 2.0". As for the CFW, you can certainly install it like that if you want. Just seems like it would be easier/safer to just install the one you want from the beginning. Unfortunately, there isn't a great, up-to-date guide for the PS3 right now. I had to spend a few hours searching around and trying to figure the scene out, but that was a few months ago and I've already largely forgotten what I had learned. The thread titled "4.82 CFW (Custom Firmware ) & Homebrew Apps / Plugins / Tools / Mods updated w/ 4.82 Support" has a list of a lot of the available tools you can use after installing CFW. The ps3homebrew subreddit also has some decent information. Beyond that, just read around and see what you can learn. Watch out for outdated stuff though!

Last edited by ChaosEternal,
Reactions: regina_spektor

regina_spektor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A newer version of ps3exploit was released a few months back actually. It does the same thing, but it's a bit safer to use if I remember correctly. Not sure if I can link it directly, but you can find its page by searching "PS3Xploit Flash Writer 2.0". As for the CFW, you can certainly install it like that if you want. Just seems like it would be easier/safer to just install the one you want from the beginning. Unfortunately, there isn't a great, up-to-date guide for the PS3 right now. I had to spend a few hours searching around and trying to figure the scene out, but that was a few months ago and I've already largely forgotten what I had learned. The thread titled "4.82 CFW (Custom Firmware ) & Homebrew Apps / Plugins / Tools / Mods updated w/ 4.82 Support" has a list of a lot of the available tools you can use after installing CFW. The ps3homebrew subreddit also has some decent information. Beyond that, just read around and see what you can learn. Watch out for outdated stuff though!

Great! Thanks for the answer. Yes, I was checking that subreddit also. I think I'll stick with that guide since uses upto date files and support in there. Thanks for the tips :)

Sibi

Trophies
XP
Country
India
hey, I attempted to follow this guide, everything went well, the green success message appeared, i've been waiting for the playstation to beep and restart for a while now, the screen isn't frozen but neither has it beeped and restarted, how should I proceed. Apologies for the newbie language.
Edit: The cursor has frozen and I've tried restarting and reloading the exploit a couple of times, also the exploit initially fails, reloads and then the green success message shows up, how does it usually go when it really succeeds, does it directly show the green message? Again sorry for the chain of questions, looking for someone to give me clarity.
RE-Edit: The system beeped and shut down by itself, upon attempting to install REBUG 4.82.2 Lite, i get a "Data is corrupted (8002f957)" error, I've confirmed multiple times that's its a NAND system, CECH-XXXXB.

Last edited by Sibi,

Hi-Dro

Trophies
XP
Country
how would one go about upgrading to a larger HD? should I upgrade to the larger 500gb before I do the exploit ?
I'm on Version 3.20 on my ps3

marcelchi

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Semehow, this one is the best SAMPLE GUIDE.
I have an already CFW 4.70 PS3, but I want to delete the jailbreak it has now, and upgrade it to 4.82 OFW, and use your method to jailbreak it.
Can I do it? Without bricking my console?
I guess to delete the jailbreak, homebrew... etc. I have to install an OFW using a flash drive, right?

Ezios

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,
Am trying to jailbreak my ps3 with this method, but every time it freeze after "success" is there a solution for this?
Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...