Hacking Guide: From a new Wii to Backup Loading goodness!

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi, ever since I softmodded my Wii, all of my friends have been asking me to softmod theirs; and since I couldn't help all of them at the same time, I modified a_running_pir8's October 23 fix Guide and distributed it among them. Once in a while, when I've been bored, I've tweaked and enhaced that guide, until now it's a guide not only to fixing 3.3, but to fix 3.4, install the Backup Launcher, and make Wiis somewhat brick-proof. Also, this is a very linear guide: no options, no "you can do this or this, whichever is okay", nothing. I know this doesn't sound very good, but it's what newbies need!

So my question to everyone is: Should I upload this guide and the necessary apps in a ZIP file, even if 99% of it wouldn't be made by me? And, if I do upload it, will anyone help me build the credits? Right now I mention Crediar, Waninkoko, Wiigator, a_running_pir8, and RadioShadow, but it's pretty messy and I'm sure I'm still missing someone.

Just so you know, these would be the things I'd upload:

Apps:
WAD Manager 3
Starfall 0.5
cIOS rev8 Installer
cIOS Uninstaller
mIOS Patcher Xi
Custom WM
Shop/IOS51 patcher
Mii Channel Updater
cIOS Downgrader 1.1
IOS Downgrader 1.2

Wad:
cios_fix.wad
A text file explaining that IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad can't be uploaded to GBATemp, so they'll have to find it by themselves.

If anyone thinks that I should add anything else or if someone thinks I shouldn't upload the guide, then please say so
happy.gif
Also, I don't know to which file host I should upload it, so I'm open to suggestions about that too
smile.gif
If everyone likes the idea, I'll upload it sometime between tomorrow and Wednesday

EDIT: It's finished!

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well first of all is:

Wad Manager 1.3
cIOS Downgrader 1.2
IOS Downgrader 1.0

cIOS_fix.wad is also illegal just as IOS16, and it will be better to have cIOS249_r7 or r8 in .wad format instead of using the cIOS_fix.wad and the new cIOS installer; and finally I think Preloader is better that Starfall since Starfall haven't been updated since his release, so, this means it is so outdated that probably only a few ones are using, and you need to include a list of the IOS needed to downgrade offline.

It's easy, cIOS Downgrader 1.2 installs:

IOS30-64-v1040
Mios v5
BC v2
System Menu v289 (3.2U)

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Ok... but how do I get Waninkoko's cIOS in wad form?

EDIT: btw, I know about preloader, it's just that Starfall hacks are easier to uninstall if needed. Still, Preloader is a very nice app, so I guess I'll add it to the pack and say that any of the two can be used. Of course, I'd explain in detail what each one does since this is a guide for complete newbies
smile.gif

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Ok, I just finished the introduction... it looks like the guide will be longer than expected, so I'll upload it in chapters, and when I'm finished I'll upload the pack with the applications (with icons made by me
biggrin.gif
) and the guide in word format. Note that this is supposed to be downloaded in a zip file, so expect to see stuff about and folders and files that aren't there:

EDIT: as many of you have pointed out, this thing is WAY too long. Sorry bout that. I'm already used to explaining things the long way because of my recent school essays
rolleyes.gif
Anyway, I'll try to make this part shorter. And I'll try to write each "chapter" in a paragraph or less, and not an entire document like this. Look forward to it!

(It was too long so I took it away)

If anyone has comments or suggestions, post them here! I'll gladly recieve them
smile.gif
! Unless they're spam... I hate spam
hate2.gif

D

Deleted User

Preloader, not Starfall.

IF you need a noob-proof guide, feel free to copy mine. Search for The Preloader Guide.

Chapter 2 and 3 is basically the same thing. I suggest you look up on EoC's Downgrading guide.

Chapter 5 should be optional. Seeing that some users DOES NOT use Shop Channel that much. Mii Channel, nothing is pretty much updated graphically, so....

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Ok, I merged chapters 2 and 3, and marked some chapters as optional. The changes are in red. I'll add Preloader tomorrow or one of these days. I have a test coming soon, so I'll continue the guide in the weekend. Still, post is you want to contribute!

EDIT: If anyone has suggestions of what terms I should put on the glossary, post them! Right now I have only like 5 words, so I could really use some suggestions
smile.gif

D

Deleted User

Check Homebrew Starter's Guide (by me). It has a lot of terms and explanations on what they are.

Also, credit me for helping you XD

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
thanks for make publicity for other pages Cygoku...!!
mthrnitesmiley.gif

parce: no lo hagas tan complicado, la verdad siento un poco larga y cansada la guia y eso confunde a mas gente en vez de ayudarles, que quieres hacer bajar de 3.4 a 3.2 sin HBC..?? ahi te va

Instala HBC - Ok un poquito de explicacion, pero leve, algo asi como mete Zelda copia el archivo a tu Wii empieza Zelda, escoge el save que le toque a tu disco (0 o 2) y camina pa' tras cuando veas un monigote parado frente a la pantalla (digo no tan asi verdad, pero mas o menos).

Instala IOS16 con el Wad Manager 1.3 - aprieta A hasta que veas varios archivos .wad a escoger, selecciona IOS16 y presiona + (plus) y despues A, cuando termine presiona HOME dos veces para resetear tu Wii

Instala cIOS249_r7 (u 8) con el Custom Wad Manager - lo mismo que el anterior pero esta vez seleccionas cIOS249_r7

Downgradea a 3.2 - carga cIOS Downgrade 1.2 y selecciona 3.2 (U para America o E para Europa), presiona A una vez selecionada la que te corresponde y vuelves a confirmar con A en la siguiente pantalla

Downgradea tus IOS - Carga IOS Downgrader 1.0 y solo presiona A para inicializar el proceso, aqui no hay nada que escoger

Instala Preloader - Instala preloader presionando la siguiente combinacion de botones en tu Wiimote....blah ......blah blah..

Carga una copia - inserta un backup, entra en HBC y carga Gamma Launcher, presiona A para lanzarlo y voilà..!!

si usas fotos, todo mundo te va a entender mejor, porque asi tienen una referencia para decir "...Ah ok voy bien..." si no olvidate, vas a tener a todo el mundo haciendo toda clase de preguntas, no hace falta explicarles tanto, entre mas movida y dinamica la hagas a la gente le da menos flojera (iba a poner weba pero no se entiende igual en Colombia, jejeje)

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
ether2802 said:
parce: no lo hagas tan complicado, la verdad siento un poco larga y cansada la guia y eso confunde a mas gente en vez de ayudarles, que quieres hacer bajar de 3.4 a 3.2 sin HBC..??

si usas fotos, todo mundo te va a entender mejor, porque asi tienen una referencia para decir "...Ah ok voy bien..." si no olvidate, vas a tener a todo el mundo haciendo toda clase de preguntas, no hace falta explicarles tanto, entre mas movida y dinamica la hagas a la gente le da menos flojera (iba a poner weba pero no se entiende igual en Colombia, jejeje)

ok si esta algo largo
rolleyes.gif
igual ya me puse a hacer el resto, y la intro es lo único largo
smile.gif
y gracias por la idea de las fotos, lo tomaré en cuenta

Just so everyone knows, I'm already doing the rest of the guide, and the rest of it will be about as long as the current introduction... so don't worry about it being too long
biggrin.gif
also, now the guide will include pictures! But that means that I won't post parts of the guide untill it's all finished. I'll have to upgrade my Wii to 3.4 and follow the tutorial myself to get pictures, so it'll take longer
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eo3Bh06drc