Guide: From a new Wii to Backup Loading goodness!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by davidsl_128, Mar 9, 2009.

1. davidsl_128
    OP

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    Hi, ever since I softmodded my Wii, all of my friends have been asking me to softmod theirs; and since I couldn't help all of them at the same time, I modified a_running_pir8's October 23 fix Guide and distributed it among them. Once in a while, when I've been bored, I've tweaked and enhaced that guide, until now it's a guide not only to fixing 3.3, but to fix 3.4, install the Backup Launcher, and make Wiis somewhat brick-proof. Also, this is a very linear guide: no options, no "you can do this or this, whichever is okay", nothing. I know this doesn't sound very good, but it's what newbies need!

So my question to everyone is: Should I upload this guide and the necessary apps in a ZIP file, even if 99% of it wouldn't be made by me? And, if I do upload it, will anyone help me build the credits? Right now I mention Crediar, Waninkoko, Wiigator, a_running_pir8, and RadioShadow, but it's pretty messy and I'm sure I'm still missing someone.

Just so you know, these would be the things I'd upload:

Apps:
    WAD Manager 3
    Starfall 0.5
    cIOS rev8 Installer
    cIOS Uninstaller
    mIOS Patcher Xi
    Custom WM
    Shop/IOS51 patcher
    Mii Channel Updater
    cIOS Downgrader 1.1
    IOS Downgrader 1.2

Wad:
    cios_fix.wad
    A text file explaining that IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad can't be uploaded to GBATemp, so they'll have to find it by themselves.

If anyone thinks that I should add anything else or if someone thinks I shouldn't upload the guide, then please say so [​IMG] Also, I don't know to which file host I should upload it, so I'm open to suggestions about that too [​IMG] If everyone likes the idea, I'll upload it sometime between tomorrow and Wednesday

EDIT: It's finished!

2. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    Well first of all is:

Wad Manager 1.3
    cIOS Downgrader 1.2
    IOS Downgrader 1.0

cIOS_fix.wad is also illegal just as IOS16, and it will be better to have cIOS249_r7 or r8 in .wad format instead of using the cIOS_fix.wad and the new cIOS installer; and finally I think Preloader is better that Starfall since Starfall haven't been updated since his release, so, this means it is so outdated that probably only a few ones are using, and you need to include a list of the IOS needed to downgrade offline.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

3. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    Ok... but how do I get Waninkoko's cIOS in wad form?

EDIT: btw, I know about preloader, it's just that Starfall hacks are easier to uninstall if needed. Still, Preloader is a very nice app, so I guess I'll add it to the pack and say that any of the two can be used. Of course, I'd explain in detail what each one does since this is a guide for complete newbies [​IMG]

4. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    well some of us or maybe just me.lol don't really care for preloader, I still use starfall,

5. ether2802

Mexico
    or learn how to pack it using FS_browser on the Wii and blaze's wad packer on the PC..!!! [​IMG]

6. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    Ok, I just finished the introduction... it looks like the guide will be longer than expected, so I'll upload it in chapters, and when I'm finished I'll upload the pack with the applications (with icons made by me [​IMG]) and the guide in word format. Note that this is supposed to be downloaded in a zip file, so expect to see stuff about and folders and files that aren't there:

EDIT: as many of you have pointed out, this thing is WAY too long. Sorry bout that. I'm already used to explaining things the long way because of my recent school essays [​IMG] Anyway, I'll try to make this part shorter. And I'll try to write each "chapter" in a paragraph or less, and not an entire document like this. Look forward to it!

(It was too long so I took it away)

If anyone has comments or suggestions, post them here! I'll gladly recieve them [​IMG] ! Unless they're spam... I hate spam [​IMG]

7. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    Preloader, not Starfall.

IF you need a noob-proof guide, feel free to copy mine. Search for The Preloader Guide.

Chapter 2 and 3 is basically the same thing. I suggest you look up on EoC's Downgrading guide.

Chapter 5 should be optional. Seeing that some users DOES NOT use Shop Channel that much. Mii Channel, nothing is pretty much updated graphically, so....

8. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    Ok, I merged chapters 2 and 3, and marked some chapters as optional. The changes are in red. I'll add Preloader tomorrow or one of these days. I have a test coming soon, so I'll continue the guide in the weekend. Still, post is you want to contribute!

EDIT: If anyone has suggestions of what terms I should put on the glossary, post them! Right now I have only like 5 words, so I could really use some suggestions [​IMG]

9. afif95

Malaysia
    Check Homebrew Starter's Guide (by me). It has a lot of terms and explanations on what they are.

Also, credit me for helping you XD

10. Cygoku

Banned Cygoku Banned

Canada
    Without downgrade and less assle,...

www.wiisoftmod.2ya.com

Cygoku

11. ether2802

Mexico
    thanks for make publicity for other pages Cygoku...!! [​IMG]

parce: no lo hagas tan complicado, la verdad siento un poco larga y cansada la guia y eso confunde a mas gente en vez de ayudarles, que quieres hacer bajar de 3.4 a 3.2 sin HBC..?? ahi te va

Instala HBC - Ok un poquito de explicacion, pero leve, algo asi como mete Zelda copia el archivo a tu Wii empieza Zelda, escoge el save que le toque a tu disco (0 o 2) y camina pa' tras cuando veas un monigote parado frente a la pantalla (digo no tan asi verdad, pero mas o menos).

Instala IOS16 con el Wad Manager 1.3 - aprieta A hasta que veas varios archivos .wad a escoger, selecciona IOS16 y presiona + (plus) y despues A, cuando termine presiona HOME dos veces para resetear tu Wii

Instala cIOS249_r7 (u 8) con el Custom Wad Manager - lo mismo que el anterior pero esta vez seleccionas cIOS249_r7

Downgradea a 3.2 - carga cIOS Downgrade 1.2 y selecciona 3.2 (U para America o E para Europa), presiona A una vez selecionada la que te corresponde y vuelves a confirmar con A en la siguiente pantalla

Downgradea tus IOS - Carga IOS Downgrader 1.0 y solo presiona A para inicializar el proceso, aqui no hay nada que escoger

Instala Preloader - Instala preloader presionando la siguiente combinacion de botones en tu Wiimote....blah ......blah blah..

Carga una copia - inserta un backup, entra en HBC y carga Gamma Launcher, presiona A para lanzarlo y voilà..!!

si usas fotos, todo mundo te va a entender mejor, porque asi tienen una referencia para decir "...Ah ok voy bien..." si no olvidate, vas a tener a todo el mundo haciendo toda clase de preguntas, no hace falta explicarles tanto, entre mas movida y dinamica la hagas a la gente le da menos flojera (iba a poner weba pero no se entiende igual en Colombia, jejeje)

12. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    ok si esta algo largo [​IMG] igual ya me puse a hacer el resto, y la intro es lo único largo [​IMG] y gracias por la idea de las fotos, lo tomaré en cuenta

Just so everyone knows, I'm already doing the rest of the guide, and the rest of it will be about as long as the current introduction... so don't worry about it being too long [​IMG] also, now the guide will include pictures! But that means that I won't post parts of the guide untill it's all finished. I'll have to upgrade my Wii to 3.4 and follow the tutorial myself to get pictures, so it'll take longer [​IMG]

13. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    One last question... wouldn't uploading IOS249.wad be illegal too? Or it's ok?

14. afif95

Malaysia
    Read Homebrew Starter's Guide, seriously. Look in the WAD Section.

15. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    XD sorry anyway it's almost ready Im only missing the glossary thing and the credits.

16. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    Ok, it's done! I'll post the guide in a new topic a soon as I find where to upload it [​IMG]