ROM Hack GTA patching need in-depth instructions

idunnowho14

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just got a DSTT and have kernal v1.17 running on it. I tried GTA: CW on it and it stops working once I choose a slot to save at the very beginning. I'm new to the roms stuff, so please help. I need a clearer explanation for what was posted on the frontpage of gbatemp: here it is

QUOTE said:
A workaround has been found by an unknown author that allows Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars to work on the majority of flash kits. The workaround involves patching the ARM9 file with a modified version via DSLazy.

To apply the fix, once you have acquired the patch, download DSLazy via the link below and follow the instructions.

Download DSLazy (official site)
Instructions
- Open the DSLazy application
- Select your backup ROM of GTA:CW
- Click 'NDS Unpack'
- Open the unpacked files and replace the ARM9.bin file with the one from the patch (it's not necessary to replace the ARM7.bin file)
- Click 'NDS Packer'
- Create your new modified and fixed backup

[EDIT]

Here's an xdelta patch that should work on all cards:
Patchy~
Alternatively, if that one does work try this one (Won't work on Cyclo):
Patchy2~

Thanks in advance for looking and helping. =D

lilaznkilla

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Step 1: Get the GTA Rom
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Play the game

Well anyway enough joking around
1. Download the xdelta patch and extract it to a folder.
2. Put your gta rom in the same folder and rename it to xpa-gtac.nds
3. Run xpa-gtac.bat
4. Copy "xpa-gtac-patched.nds" to your flashcart(rename it if you want) and try playing now

idunnowho14

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I got all the steps down except for this, where did the xpa-gtac.bat come form or what did you rename to get it. I currently have xpa-gtac.nds (the rom renamed), ind-gtafix (MSInfo Doc), ind-gtafix, and ind-gtafix.sfv in a folder named Grand_Theft_Auto_Chinatown_Wars_USA_SAVEFIX_V2_NDS-iND in my computer.

lilaznkilla said:
3. Run xpa-gtac.bat
4. Copy "xpa-gtac-patched.nds" to your flashcart(rename it if you want) and try playing now

Thanks

lilaznkilla

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
idunnowho14 said:
OK, I got all the steps down except for this, where did the xpa-gtac.bat come form or what did you rename to get it. I currently have xpa-gtac.nds (the rom renamed), ind-gtafix (MSInfo Doc), ind-gtafix, and ind-gtafix.sfv in a folder named Grand_Theft_Auto_Chinatown_Wars_USA_SAVEFIX_V2_NDS-iND in my computer.

lilaznkilla said:
3. Run xpa-gtac.bat

Thanks
If you open ind-gtafix.rar, there should be the xpa-gtac.bat and xdelta patch. To open it you'll need a archive program like winrar or 7-zip

Ruzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
lilaznkilla said:
Step 1: Get the GTA Rom
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Play the game

Well anyway enough joking around
1. Download the xdelta patch and extract it to a folder.
2. Put your gta rom in the same folder and rename it to xpa-gtac.nds
3. Run xpa-gtac.bat

I can't get it to work. I downloaded a fresh GTA rom from *snip and renamed it like you said, then ran the .bat file. The rom then was patched. I tried running it and it gave me a black top screen & white bottom screen.

I think im doing something wrongly. Where does the xdelta.exe come in? sorry i'm pretty bad at technical stuff.

Tom

Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got the same problem and when i looked at the size of the newly patched rom it was 0kbs wat am i doing wrong?

idunnowho14

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lilaznkilla said:
idunnowho14 said:

lilaznkilla said:
3. Run xpa-gtac.bat

Thanks
If you open ind-gtafix.rar, there should be the xpa-gtac.bat and xdelta patch. To open it you'll need a archive program like winrar or 7-zip

Thank you very much. Works perfectly now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste