.gsm file extension

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by mystery01, Aug 1, 2009.

Aug 1, 2009

.gsm file extension by mystery01 at 6:11 PM (1,088 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. mystery01
    OP

Newcomer mystery01 Member

United States
    At least I think they are that extension. I'm trying to get a game's script from the ROM but I can't because it seems to be encrypted in some sort of way that makes it illegible. However when the game is running, the messages that are needed are decrypted and even legible with a basic notepad. So how would I go about making all the GSM files legible directly from the ROM?

Here are some files I used.
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_...322476237199716

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    A game name might help, I am going to guess Mega Man Star Force 3 but confirmation would be nice before I start poking around in roms.

I take it you poked around with a memory viewer to come to the "when the game is running... [strings are] legible".

At the start text appears from your files appears to be basic unicode with the standard game wildcards (names and what have you) but later on it gets odd.
    No obvious compression (55 appearing nearly every other byte at times and most compression with leave partially legible text) and my automated compression tools do not make any headway.
    Relative search is a bust too although I will have to check back with more strings before I call it a lost cause (I was going with basic linguistics: 0a is likely a space being the most common, looking at two and three letter words and working forwards from there).
    Minor problem in calling 0a space is that we are left with some long strings, I will have to refine it.

Long story short I am going to need the name of the game before I carry on.

3. mystery01
    OP

United States
    Yes, it's Megaman Star Force 3. I've already LZ77 decompressed most of the game's messages (some aren't even compressed) but the same pattern keeps coming up.

4. mystery01
    OP

United States
    I can bump this, right?

5. mystery01
    OP

United States
    Okay. I give up. Can I at least be given another site to ask for this. I though 5th time's the charm.