ROM Hack Graphic Hacking Guidance Needed

riceball7852

A person with a life.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, right now I'm practicing to translate a few games.
My main concern is editing the graphics like signs, symbols etc and i'm pretty new to this stuff.
From my research I aware that:
.NCGR - is the main picture
.NCLR - the the picture's palette
.NSCR - the picture's location on the screen

My main concern is editing the .NCGR and .NCLR files/pictures.
Telling me the steps would be appreciated.
-Thanks!

Shiro09

AAI2 Localisation Team
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Use CrystalTile 2 and open the .ncgr with the palette .nclr. After you need to extract the image (right click image) and then do whatever you want with it. After that you need to inserts the image, so open it up again and put it back on (right click). That's it, .ncgr is a basic format for Ned's games so it should be easy for you.

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
.NSCR - the picture's location on the screen

My main concern is editing the .NCGR and .NCLR files/pictures
2 little corrections:
-.NSCR - the picture's location on the screen: wrong. It's a table with all attributes of each tile on screen and the position of each tile.
Think it like this: the ncgr is all your puzzle pieces mixed like when you take it out of your box. The NSCR is the the pic on the box where you see where each piece goes and how it has to be flipped/rotated into the right direction (with the little difference that one piece can be repeated many times in the pic).
-.NCLR is normally not touched in translations but you will probably need to correct the NSCR after you changed the NCGR especially if some tiles are repeated in the NSCR.
Example a title screen with black background. The NCGR will probably have only 1 tile full of black and all other tiles with part black/part of the title or full of title graphics. The NCLR countains all colors needed for this screen so stay untouched. The NSCR is the file that put all the pieces in the right place but it will take the full black tile and repeate it as many times as it cans.
If you change the title and make it a little bit smaller, it's possible that there will be some more tiles that are full black and so you need to correct the NSCR but not change the NCLR. If by accident you edit the NCGR and you put a white dot in the full black tile, you will see that dot as many times that tile is repeated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s