Gaming Grand Theft Auto CW gameplay discussion

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
taken said:
If anyone interested I found this on the net. I know it not gameplay related but here goes about wifi:-

rockstar put a spanner in the works for those who got flashcards cannot play online. in the coming days.

Doubt it, sounds too much like anti piracy FUD, especially if it came from gamefaqs or some GTA fanboy site. They might attempt to ban people who tried using the wifi services before it was officially released, but I doubt it.

From all the reviews i've read I haven't seen anything relating to true online play, just stats, messenger and location swapping and drug dealing. True mulitplayer is ad-hoc local wireless, not WFC.

IGN - Page 3 of review, near bottom - http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/962/962778p3.html :
QUOTE said:
Multiplayer is a huge aspect of the GTA: Chinatown Wars, but requires multiple copies of the game to take advantage of the various game modes. As many as four players can enter the competitive options, which include standard races as well as a "capture the flag" style mode where you race for a Van hidden in the city and drive it back to your base. There's also a cooperative "Defend the Base" mode. Each of these options are easily more fun with more players -- try to gather a nice crowd before taking part in the wireless multiplayer. It's unfortunate that these modes aren't online, but considering what's going on in the games -- and the DS restrictions -- it's understandable.

Eurogamer - Page 2 of review, near bottom - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/grand-th...s-review?page=2
There are also 100 hidden security cameras to find and take out, which affect local drug prices, and thanks to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection you can alert friends to interesting locations and swap drugs, while local wireless play allows you to link up with another player for shared carnage. With only one copy of the game to hand, I've not been able to test this, but frankly it could set fire to your cat and burn holes in your arm and it wouldn't have too much impact on the score.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Have any of you try some stunts?

I tried doing 2 wheelie and stunt jump yesterday, and other than that silly notices "2 wheels" and "jump distance xxft" nothing else happened

and btw I met this crazy bitch named Selma which looks just like Betty in Betty la fea TV series, and the last mission I did for her is "Lose Selma!" which I did, and the mission ends lol

There are random guys who will give you missions, but they're not fixed, I like that aspect.

And who said money is hard to come by? I have enough money to buy any stuff you throw at me
tongue.gif

edit: @sa1amandra Rockstrat never lied, ad-hoc multiplayer indeed utilizes Wi-Fi, only in short range XD

sa1amandra

Gazzaro Launching!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Raestloz said:

I tried doing 2 wheelie and stunt jump yesterday, and other than that silly notices "2 wheels" and "jump distance xxft" nothing else happened

and btw I met this crazy bitch named Selma which looks just like Betty in Betty la fea TV series, and the last mission I did for her is "Lose Selma!" which I did, and the mission ends lol

There are random guys who will give you missions, but they're not fixed, I like that aspect.

And who said money is hard to come by? I have enough money to buy any stuff you throw at me
tongue.gif

edit: @sa1amandra Rockstrat never lied, ad-hoc multiplayer indeed utilizes Wi-Fi, only in short range XD
stupid loopholes

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raestloz said:

tongue.gif

I've done some stunts, barrel rolls, 2 wheels, full spin, etc. USJs are for smashing billboards burnout paradise style.

Some of the side missions are funny, I did one and there was a hooker who said she was fed up of people hooker services and then killing them to get their money back (come on, everyone whos played another GTA game has done this at some point
wink.gif
) I won't spoil how it goes down after that. I think I did the selma mission too.

Money is hard to come by if you end up in a string of bad deals, I bought a ton of coke went to make an awesome deal and I got side swipped (and followed) by a police car in a chase with someone else I got to the dealer but a cop car came flying from the opposite side scared the dealer, knocked me over and the cops arrested me. Left me broke for a while until I could make a couple of nice deals.

QUOTEedit: @sa1amandra Rockstrat never lied, ad-hoc multiplayer indeed utilizes Wi-Fi, only in short range XD

This is true, blame nintendo + any developer which doesn't distinguish this, why blame nintendo? Easy, they should have give local wifi play its own "name" so it speak, like WFC is the only service, in the past it used to be "link cable multiplayer", "multicart multiplayer" etc. They needed to elaborate on it more, of course its all too late for that now.

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Umm I need help in one part of the game where you have to avenge that girl who died by killing all the gangsters then one hops in a car and runs away when you chase him to you need to just follow him or make his car blow up. If there is something else I need to do for that please tell me.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone found the gun club yet? I keep getting messages about guns being available to practice with at the gun club. I haven't yet been able to take advantage of it.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
irpacynot said:
Anyone found the gun club yet? I keep getting messages about guns being available to practice with at the gun club. I haven't yet been able to take advantage of it.

Tinymonkeyt took some precise pictures and posted it here

Its at the airport. Its good, we can earn money and practice shooting skills.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i just got the game working on my dstt and i love it a lot it really awesome for the ds the graphics are great good story and its fun smash people o mthe road with ur car
tongue.gif
ive been playing for 45 mins and i reached the mission payback and i always lose the gangster!

halljames

Trophies
Website
www.hallstudios.co.uk
XP
Country
I had a good go of this last night, I though it might re-excite me about the DS.

My thoughts :

Although technicaly very good for the DS, great graphics, sound, speed, smooth frame rate, I just couldnt get away with it. All the way through my 4 hour stint with it, I kept in my mind comparing it with the PSP version which I have. I know I shouldnt, because the DS would never be able to achieve what the PSP did, I was sat playing it thinking, why am I playing this, when I could be playing the PSP version.

I dont want to start a flame war, I mean, this game is excellent, but I dont think its going to bring me back to DS land, sorry.

Just my opinion.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When driving you can hold down the Left ( I think ) shoulder button to do handbrake turns, much easier when driving at speed into the corners.

I found a white skull in a park ( one with a bandstand ) which when when I moved over it, the game went into some sort of Rampage mode. Had two people aiding me ( a bit like drones ) and the object was to kill as many of the opposition as possible in the allotted time, bonuses for stringing hits together and blowing up vehicles. You then get a bronze silver or gold rating.

I found doing drug deals its best to take a motorbike, you can get away through smaller gaps the police cars cant go through also if the meet is in the park you can drive the bike right up to them and get back on straight away for a quick getaway.

I just love this game.....

Damn Amazon and play are selling this for £17.99...... worth every single penny.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
halljames said:
...Although technicaly very good for the DS, great graphics, sound, speed, smooth frame rate, I just couldnt get away with it. All the way through my 4 hour stint with it, I kept in my mind comparing it with the PSP version which I have. I know I shouldnt, because the DS would never be able to achieve what the PSP did, I was sat playing it thinking, why am I playing this, when I could be playing the PSP version.

I dont want to start a flame war, I mean, this game is excellent, but I dont think its going to bring me back to DS land, sorry.

Just my opinion.

I can dig it. I actually was doing plenty of comparisons myself, as I'm sure any GTA vet will do. But I kinda feel the opposite way. I never played the PSP GTAs, nor GTAIV, but I've played pretty much every other one, and though GTAIII and SA are some of my favorite games, I think Chinatown Wars is quickly becoming my favorite of the bunch. The size of the game is just right, and I always felt that the true nature of GTA gameplay (which, to me, is screwing around outside of the missions) was something better done in a pick-up-and-play manner. I really like having the ability to pick it up for a bit and put it back down.

I also think they did a great job with the perspective. It offers more of a view than the first two GTAs or GTA Advance, but it maintains more of an arcade feel than the other 3D GTAs. When playing any of the PS2 GTAs, I'd often throw the camera into a bird's-eye view because it was more comfortable for me. And as flawed as the combat is in this game, it's still better than pretty much any other GTA I've played -- simple but it works, for the most part.

Probably my favorite aspect about CW, though, is the touch-screen usage. I was expecting it to be kinda meh, but I really like it a lot. I look for parked cars to jack just so I can hotwire them. Also the box-throwing mission was a lot better here than in SA. I know IGN criticized the use of touch screen to lob things, but I like a lot. Missions overall -- though there's pretty much nothing new -- are a lot more enjoyable to play in this game for me.

P.S. -- Thanks tinyt for the screenies. Been lookin' for that place for a while.

djDougs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ive waited all year for this when i first heard about it
wacko.gif

played it yesterday, and its alright, first actual game rated 18, and needed to be!

its all just fu@@ f@@k and @@cking all through the mission start text
lecture.gif

so, after 3 years of having a DSlite, i might actually play something different than racing games
yaynds.gif

got to mission2 so far, learning to fight with a chinease lady
blink.gif
. i kicked her by mistake, and it said mission failed LOL

now, where do i get a hooker.....
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: Hyrule Warriors legends