Grammar?

Do you care about grammar in forums?

• Yes, I do care about grammar and spellings and I get pissed off by people who don't care about it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no i dont care abuot any fraekin' grammer or spillengs as long as i can undrestadn my posts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bobrules

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID.---Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabridge Uinervtisy, it deosn't mattaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanighuh?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, it bugs the shit out of me as well! Small amounts of spelling mistakes and grammatical mistakes are easily forgivable, but when the mesage looks like it's been written by Nell of the woods (see the Jodie Foster movie Nell if you don't know what I mean) it totally drives me crazy.

Whatever happened to being proud because you can speak and write well? Now people are proud to be illiterate, and what's worse is other people will jump all over someone who complains, or just simply points it out, to defend the person instead of saying "Yeah I agree, learn to write". Don't get me wrong, there are people who simply can't help it and exceptions can be made, but when it's just plain stupidity and ignorance then they should be yelled at and made to smarten up.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
If someone says uses grammar incorrectly and spells words wrong and English its their second language I don't really care. If it is there first language, I get pissed off though

Hiratai

I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If someone says uses grammar incorrectly and spells words wrong and English its their second language I don't really care. If it is there first language, I get pissed off though
You used and 2 times, when you should've used a comma. OBJECTION!

And you said "English, it's there first language". That sentence is consisted of phail.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
English sure is harder than many other languages. Chinese is harder. Thai is kind of in between. Love is the most difficult language of all!

Damn, I'm thirsty.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country

You used and 2 times, when you should've used a comma. OBJECTION!

And you said "English, it's there first language". That sentence is consisted of phail.

What does "You used and 2 times mean"?

He means you said "xxxx and yyyy and zzzz" instead of putting "xxxx, yyyy and zzzz". It's a pretty common mistake. IMO little errors like that are forgivable from anyone because you don't have to hire a translator to work out what the sentence actually meant.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
I only said it because he corrected me
tongue.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I worry about MY grammar (typo's notwithstanding), but I generally don't care about other people's grammar as long as I can understand what they are trying to say.

I try to remember that not everyone's first language is English, not everyone can spell, not everyone gives a damn and not everyone is well educated.

Sew know. Az long az I finna bee abull 2 unnerstan wut dey be tryin 2 say, it aint bodder mee.
wink.gif

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
English is not my native language so it is easier for me to understand grammatically correct sentences.

But then again, I'm kinda slow too.

El-ahrairah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually if I can tell the bad grammar/spelling is accidental I can look the other way.

But when people start using "teh" and "ur" etc, I get annoyed and tend to not take them seriously and/or dismiss them entirely.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sentence structure and my effectiveness in conveying a point is the most difficult aspect. Forums like these are good practice, I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up