GPU Upgrade.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by ThePowerOutage, Nov 13, 2011.

Nov 13, 2011

GPU Upgrade. by ThePowerOutage at 9:50 PM (559 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. ThePowerOutage
    OP

Member ThePowerOutage The Lord of the Flyes

United Kingdom
    I have a Acer X3400 that I have moved into a ATX case with 450w PSU (Huge overkill, but the stock uATX PSU didn't fit in my case) and installed a new CPU fan.

I now want to play Skyrim, and as onboard GeForce 9200 is shocking, I want to upgrade.

But as per usual, I'm low on cash, so I have a £100 budget possible a bit more if my phone sells.

An help is appreciated.

2. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Best Graphics Cards For The Money: November 2011

http://www.tomshardw...force,3067.html

all cards at 110$ and below shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a pcie slot and an extra molex connector (or a 6pin pcie) free.

(the 6770 might be a tight fit, if you have a cheap psu or added some extra hardware to your comp, I wouldn't recommend it)

1 person likes this.
  3. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Skyrim really isn't that hard to properly run by the way, my 4 year old 8800 GTS 512MB is able to run it easily at High settings.
    I also recommend you check out this System Requirements Wiki page, to really see if your GPU is up for the Skyrim challenge.

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    There is a world of difference between the high end 8800 GPU and the low end 9200 IGP.

That said, I've seen lots of threads about it working with Intel IGPs, so it can work on low budget systems.

5. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I know I know, but the main thing I'm trying to say is that I'm still able to run the game at the almost highest settings, fluently. When you look back, Oblivion required way more back then, my 2,5 year old PC could barely run it. I'm really glad they made it only so intensive.

6. ThePowerOutage
    OP

United Kingdom
    Had a look and I'm stuck between the XFX HD-685X-ZNDC Radeon HD 6850 at £115 and the Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB (715Mhz) at £130
    Which is better?

7. ThePowerOutage
    OP

United Kingdom
    Oh there is this card aswell
    nVidia MSI 460 GTX Cyclone £95

8. Originality

United Kingdom
    Between the HD 6850 and GTX 460, the 6850 is significantly better.
    HD 6850 benchmark where it scored 2848 in PassMark.
    GTX 460 benchmark where it scored 2368 in PassMark.

Between the Gigabyte and MSI models, you'd have to compare the specs (clock speed and memory speed/quantity) to get a general idea of which is stronger, and reviews to find out which is louder (i.e. which has higher power draw/heat produced/better cooling).
    EDIT: Worth mentioning, this is just a benchmark. It does not reflect on which will perform better in games (since there are lots of factors that affect performance, especially drivers and other software support)

1 person likes this.
  9. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Interesting, seems my GPU can run most settings on "high"....weird. Just gotta be careful not to strain the GPU load and overheat it. As to which settings I can actually set to "high" I don't know yet.

10. junkerde

Banned junkerde Banned

United States
    Ati Radeon HIS 6850. crossfire that its over 30-120% increase, average benchmark shows 60% performance increase, thats ALOT! i have a 6850 btw

11. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    the gtx460 require 2 6pin connector, If you want to go that way, make sure that you have enough connectors free

12. CCNaru

Member CCNaru Warn-free Since 2005

United States
    I have GTX 460 and all I can say is DO NOT buy it. some unfixable bugs on it which ATI cards don't have (like 3d rendering or something? can't remmember exactly but I think one of Adobe products didnt work)

13. Originality

United Kingdom
    If you're gaming, do not go for CrossFire/SLI. If you're rendering videos, models or animations, then do go for CrossFire/SLI. That's all there is to that.

I won't comment on whether AMD or nVidia are better for gaming. That would become a mini-essay.