Gaming GPU Upgrade.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a Acer X3400 that I have moved into a ATX case with 450w PSU (Huge overkill, but the stock uATX PSU didn't fit in my case) and installed a new CPU fan.

I now want to play Skyrim, and as onboard GeForce 9200 is shocking, I want to upgrade.

But as per usual, I'm low on cash, so I have a £100 budget possible a bit more if my phone sells.

An help is appreciated.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Best Graphics Cards For The Money: November 2011

http://www.tomshardw...force,3067.html

all cards at 110$ and below shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a pcie slot and an extra molex connector (or a 6pin pcie) free.

(the 6770 might be a tight fit, if you have a cheap psu or added some extra hardware to your comp, I wouldn't recommend it)

Reactions: 1 person

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There is a world of difference between the high end 8800 GPU and the low end 9200 IGP.

That said, I've seen lots of threads about it working with Intel IGPs, so it can work on low budget systems.
I know I know, but the main thing I'm trying to say is that I'm still able to run the game at the almost highest settings, fluently. When you look back, Oblivion required way more back then, my 2,5 year old PC could barely run it. I'm really glad they made it only so intensive.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Between the HD 6850 and GTX 460, the 6850 is significantly better.
HD 6850 benchmark where it scored 2848 in PassMark.
GTX 460 benchmark where it scored 2368 in PassMark.

Between the Gigabyte and MSI models, you'd have to compare the specs (clock speed and memory speed/quantity) to get a general idea of which is stronger, and reviews to find out which is louder (i.e. which has higher power draw/heat produced/better cooling).
EDIT: Worth mentioning, this is just a benchmark. It does not reflect on which will perform better in games (since there are lots of factors that affect performance, especially drivers and other software support)

Reactions: 1 person

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, seems my GPU can run most settings on "high"....weird. Just gotta be careful not to strain the GPU load and overheat it. As to which settings I can actually set to "high" I don't know yet.

junkerde

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ati Radeon HIS 6850. crossfire that its over 30-120% increase, average benchmark shows 60% performance increase, thats ALOT! i have a 6850 btw

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you're gaming, do not go for CrossFire/SLI. If you're rendering videos, models or animations, then do go for CrossFire/SLI. That's all there is to that.

I won't comment on whether AMD or nVidia are better for gaming. That would become a mini-essay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.