Got a switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by nero99, Jul 25, 2017.

1. nero99
    OP

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    I just ordered a Nintendo Switch with one mystery game from a high rated seller on ebay. Is there anything I should know about system flaws and such? What do you all recommend for a first time owner? Also, is $360 for the system and a random game a good deal? It was the cheapest I could find after searching through 80+ pages on ebay.

2. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    Yeah its good, basically payed the msrp for a switch and a 60 dollar game, who knows if the game youre getting is worth the 60 bucks but at least you arent paying 400+ for the switch itself. Buy a screen protector, I bought a Hori one and it works perfect but others have had bad experiences with it for some reason so keep that in mind, gorilla glass screen protectors have all around positive reviews however so choose whichever you want

3. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    You absolutely need to get a tempered screen glass protector - get one from amFilm, Orzly or CaseBase. Do not, DO NOT insert the Switch on the Dock before you do it as you'll risk the screen being scratched and you can't unscratch it.

4. nero99
    OP

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    thanks for the reply's. I remember hearing about the screen scratching issues. Tempered Glass here I come!

5. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    Temprered glass protrudes and looks ugly, just use a hori screen protector.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Some are pretty thin (0.2mm or so) and are nearly invisible, and a plastic screen protector just feels bad against my finger.

7. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So hori is best or something? I mean I never used one before, I wanted to get one but people say having it docked causes heat and warping issues. :unsure:

By the way, I been using my switch dock with no scratches for months, I dunno how other people handling their systems. :wtf:

8. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    I've seen people use the glass screen protectors and because they stick out can rub on the dock when inserting it and pulling it out because its made the device thicker, obviously they wont all be so thick but they all stand off the screen/protrude and you know its there, i prefer the normal plastic wrap screen protectors that Hori make, They are high quality and have a patented way of applying them with how they are setup to apply and you get no air bubbles and you cant even see you have any screen protector applied.

9. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    when playing docked, keep close to your dock, my couch is less than 5 meters away and it kept disconnecting.

pay close attention to the sliders, if you put them on wrong theyre hard to get back off.... definitely not for the lil ones.

and be aware of lacking titles (the fans will deny/defend thats what fans do) but ive had one since launch and its had nothing worthy and has been sat in storage since the first week after completing that major let down zelda.

sarkwalvein and nero99 like this.
  10. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    My switch is pretty bare bones, I have yet to break anything.

nero99 likes this.
  11. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    nero99 likes this.
  12. Justin20020

Justin20020 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I bought a glass protector from orzly and it fits perfectly! If you plan to take the switch with you on the go, i recommend a case for the switch

13. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    Valhalla
    Just get a screen protector and you're good. I like the plastic ones personally cause glass adds too much thickness.

14. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    That nmystery game is either something like Zelda or 1,2, Switch!. Since he describes it as a mystery game, I'm guessing it's a game that he does not value at the $60 price. So 1, 2, Switch, Super Bomberman R, that basketball game...

The most important thing is that the Switch retails for $300US plus tax, so if you're having difficulty finding a Switch for under $360 that's not a really bad deal - no matter the game.

That being said, I just used the Zelda skin set with the plastic protector. I got a transport case so i didn't feel the need for anything better.

Last edited by Futurdreamz, Jul 26, 2017
    nero99 likes this.
  15. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany
    is it new or used?

16. nero99
    OP

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    It was one of those "new other" listed titles. The seller seemed quite honest in their listing saying that they did open it with plans to use it but never used it. Even if it is used, the pics looked like it was never touched

17. Abu_Senpai

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo
    Welcome to the club :hrth:

And yeah a screen protector is all you really need tbh. I am using a cheap £10 glass screen protector and that has protected my screen quite well. Oh and Definitely pick up BOTW since it is a must have for the system.

18. nero99
    OP

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    I think I will get botw. I've been playing it on CEMU, but would love a portable version. I ended up getting a 9H tempered glass protector, I had their screen protector for my phone and it worked amazing. Also snagged a copy of MK8 Deluxe, a 128gb micro sd, and am currently looking for a clear hard cover case for the system

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I'm aware of the very few titles. But hey, I got mk8 and a mystery game, plus that new thing for streaming your pc to the switch will be very fun for what I want to test. My friend actually brought his switch over a few days ago and pointed out the wrong way with the joy cons thing. Still, thanks for sharing your answers

19. Cha0tic

Cha0tic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2013
    United States
    Welcome to the club! Just got our switch a week ago after looking got one off a reseller on kijiji. The switch in canada with tax cost 460 cad, we got it delivered to us by the seller with the steering wheels, zelda carrying case, Breathe of the wild and mario kart for 550 cad.

See everyone talking about screen protectors so I guess I should look into one.

20. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    i dont see any sense in streaming from a pc to the switch.

why power 2 devices to run an emulator.

i would actually prefer it the other way round, if only nintendo was up to date with todays technology..... have the switch stream to your tv..... but i guess that would require better hardware and would cost them more.