got a hard drive with existing windows install

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Dominator211, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    i just got what i need to get this hard drive to work it has an existing install of windows 7 ultimate

It was from an HP laptop

i have it plugged into my asus laptop right now with windows 10

can i just go into the BIOS of my laptop and change the boot drive and everything will be fine or will drivers and motherboards be a problem if so how can i boot off of this drive with out messing my host machine or anything else up also it would be nice if people were nice in thier answers becuase people in my last post were really nasty

2. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
  3. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Last edited by Dominator211, Feb 7, 2017
  4. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    you can just ignore the formatting part and run the command to make it bootable

5. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    ok this better not mess anything up..... also what bout the drivers they were bouth intel processors ut one was a core 2 duo and the other is a i7

6. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    If you do get your Win7 HDD to boot, it may still boot, or may not. It is possible for it to BSOD due to lack of necessary drivers especially moving from HP to ASUS. The second worst thing it could happen is driver or interrupt resource conflict.
    Does your BIOS has a BBS menu? You should be able to select the WIN7 HDD from that menu, provided if the HDD is already bootable.

7. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    it was bootable last i checked i dont this my bios has the bbs menu ill check

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

no i dont have bbs

Attached Files:

8. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    It might work. I was able to swap hard drives between two laptiops with different make and cpu brands and it went all hunky-dory, but they were both running Windows 10. I'd first ask if you know about EFI, MBR, and Microsoft Secure Boot, and which features the HDD needs and what needs to be enabled on your laptop.