Got a free broken iPhone 2G

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time to freak some havoc. Thing is, I've never spread my modding to a phone before. So, I was hoping you guys could help me out here. Here's what I know so far:

- I'm almost positive it's a iPhone 2G with a capacity of 8 GB
- The only thing wrong with it is a broken screen

Here's what I want to be able to do:

- Jailbreak it (and please tell me what doing this can provide and which method is best)
- Use it solely as an iTouch (I have a cell phone already and don't want to switch to AT&T)(unless there IS a way to get Verizon working)
- Get some free stuff while I'm at it (YAR!)
- Develop for it (does a jailbroken iPhone help at all in the dev scene?)

Lastly, I won't be able to use Wi-fi with the phone at all. Is there a way to do all of this online with my laptop?

So yeah, you guys mind helping me out? Also, if you guys know where I can get decent priced replacement screen? Is the screen the same as the iTouch 2G?

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IchigoK2031 said:
If you have t-mobile, you could hijack the sim card from ur phone and use it on t-mobile, otherwise just jailbreak it, and use it as an ipod touch

Nope, Verizon. Already know I can't.

@Urza

I'll take your word for it. Run it after it's broken?

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If it's an iPhone 2G, the back should be silver with a black bottom (unless it's painted). The screen is similar, but not identical, to the iPod touch.

The best method to jailbreak is by far PwnageTool, but in your case the simplest would have to be blackra1n. (Downgrade to 3.1.2 for blackra1n.) Spirit won't work since you want the iPhone to be hacktivated.

If you want to pirate most App Store apps, add *snip to Cydia.

Urza said:
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/202796266/...he-update-train

Rule #1: Never update with a clean image. Always run it through PwnageTool otherwise you can lose unlock potential (possibly forever).
No need to worry about unlocks for the iPhone 2G; Apple won't update the 2G baseband any more (they haven't since 2.0, and 3.1.3 is the end of the line for 2G support). It'ss more hacked to the ground than PSP-1000.
smile.gif

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
If it's an iPhone 2G, the back should be silver with a black bottom (unless it's painted). The screen is similar, but not identical, to the iPod touch.

The best method to jailbreak is by far PwnageTool, but in your case the simplest would have to be blackra1n. (Downgrade to 3.1.2 for blackra1n.) Spirit won't work since you want the iPhone to be hacktivated.

If you want to pirate most App Store apps, add http://cydia.hackulo.us/ to Cydia.

Urza said:

Rule #1: Never update with a clean image. Always run it through PwnageTool otherwise you can lose unlock potential (possibly forever).
No need to worry about unlocks for the iPhone 2G; Apple won't update the 2G baseband any more (they haven't since 2.0, and 3.1.3 is the end of the line for 2G support). It'ss more hacked to the ground than PSP-1000.
smile.gif

PwnageTool it is. I like a challenge. From the videos I've seen, it's only the screen that's broken. How do I see all the firmware? The GUI isn't as good as the Sony or Nintendo ones. Also, if there is no more support for 2G, then can I not use apps or something later on? Or does haven a jailbroken phone fix that?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
Urza said:

smile.gif

He didn't provide what firmware revision the device was on, possibly pre-2.0 (especially if it was broken and then not used for some time). PwnageTool is obscenely simple to use, and thus its a good rule of thumb to do it right rather than lazy.

QUOTE said:
How do I see all the firmware?
Settings -> General -> About

QUOTEAlso, if there is no more support for 2G, then can I not use apps or something later on? Or does haven a jailbroken phone fix that?
The next major firmware revision (iOS4) will not be installable on the first gen iPhone. As such, any applications that are later written which require frameworks that iOS 4 provides specifically will not function correctly/at all.

Whether or not there will be a "workaround" has yet to be seen, but would require an immense amount of work if the required drivers are not present (if its possible at all).

I'll take your word for it. Run it after it's broken?
No. You run it after downloading the 3.1.3 firmware package; PwnageTool will modify that package (removing the baseband updater, activating root access, and adding specific packages). You will restore the modified package to your device.

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, is it version? If it is, it says 2.2 (5G77). Any way to do a hard reset on this? I'm tired of being called Karen.

Xoo00o0o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to create the custom ipsw with pwnage tool first. Then if your on a mac press option and click on restore and click on the custom ipsw. Then just sit back and relax.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devil May Cry said:
Alright, is it version? If it is, it says 2.2 (5G77). Any way to do a hard reset on this? I'm tired of being called Karen.
Everything will be wiped clean when you restore the new package.

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lolcat said:
You need to create the custom ipsw with pwnage tool first. Then if your on a mac press option and click on restore and click on the custom ipsw. Then just sit back and relax.

I don't have a Mac, thought it was OS X only.

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lolcat said:
Well I use a pc with vmware workstation 7 so I guess I forgot

Option key is equal to alt key

Okay, so if I use that, it will make an .ipsw I can use. Now, how do I apply this to my 2.2 iPhone?

Also, I've been thinking. Would it better to sell this and get an iTouch? Is there any benefit to having an iPhone that doesn't call or text?

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Devil May Cry said:
Lolcat said:
Well I use a pc with vmware workstation 7 so I guess I forgot

Option key is equal to alt key

Okay, so if I use that, it will make an .ipsw I can use. Now, how do I apply this to my 2.2 iPhone?

Also, I've been thinking. Would it better to sell this and get an iTouch? Is there any benefit to having an iPhone that doesn't call or text?
The iPhone has a camera, and the iPod Touch doesn't.
Also, you get a built in mic, which is useful to have, because some apps need the mic.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The built-in speaker also has better sound quality than the one found on the iPod touch 2G/3G.

But since 3.1.3 is the end of the line for the iPhone 2G, you may want to consider buying an iPod touch in September.

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard that repairing the screen for the iPhone 2G is pretty hard though. Would the finacial investment balance itself out? I wouldn't mind keeping the phone for the camera and mic. As for the new iTouch, I'm guessing I'd have to wait for a hack?

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that repairing the iPhone would be worth it. The hardware is starting to show its age, and soon the software will be also. You'll probably be able to make good money selling it for spare parts, though.

If you wish to jailbreak an iPod touch 4G, an tethered jailbreak will probably be available at the beginning. Unfortunately, I don't envision an untethered jailbreak for the iPod touch 4G any time near its launch (assuming the untethered jailbreak can even happen).

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
I don't think that repairing the iPhone would be worth it. The hardware is starting to show its age, and soon the software will be also. You'll probably be able to make good money selling it for spare parts, though.

If you wish to jailbreak an iPod touch 4G, an tethered jailbreak will probably be available at the beginning. Unfortunately, I don't envision an untethered jailbreak for the iPod touch 4G any time near its launch (assuming the untethered jailbreak can even happen).

Should I just try an get an iTouch 3G then?

Blastoise

Trophies
XP
Country
Devil May Cry said:
Dialexio said:

Should I just try an get an iTouch 3G then?

No, but you could try getting an iPod Touch 3rd Gen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: That counts as a software update :tpi: