Hacking Got a 3DS with very old Firmware.

NatsumeAshikaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was basically handed a 3DS with a very old firmware, 4.4.0-10U, and bought it for $20US. Which leaves me with a big set of questions, before I pick a custom/homebrew firmware set.

I want to softmod this system to give it the best flexibility. Many of my old systems are dead, or long gone from NES-DSi. Although I have my backups. So I want to get the most utility out of this system as is possible.

So my questions are really, which firmware to put on this new 3DS and how to do it?
I'd like good emulation capability, to as near as the original DS as possible, along with the ability to emulate as many non-Nintendo systems as is possible.
I'd like good native 3DS backup capability.
I'd like other utilities, like a browser that's compatible with newer HTMLS open wifi log in systems. Since my other original 3DS can't log in to such systems for some reason.
If possible I'd like it to still be compatible with Nintendo services like the PokeBank, but that's far from a necessity.

So my question is, what custom Firmware is most appropriate and how can I install it?
Tutorials would be super helpful because I've never done anything like this.

Thanks in advance!

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was basically handed a 3DS with a very old firmware, 4.4.0-10U, and bought it for $20US. Which leaves me with a big set of questions, before I pick a custom/homebrew firmware set.

I want to softmod this system to give it the best flexibility. Many of my old systems are dead, or long gone from NES-DSi. Although I have my backups. So I want to get the most utility out of this system as is possible.

So my questions are really, which firmware to put on this new 3DS and how to do it?
I'd like good emulation capability, to as near as the original DS as possible, along with the ability to emulate as many non-Nintendo systems as is possible.
I'd like good native 3DS backup capability.
I'd like other utilities, like a browser that's compatible with newer HTMLS open wifi log in systems. Since my other original 3DS can't log in to such systems for some reason.
If possible I'd like it to still be compatible with Nintendo services like the PokeBank, but that's far from a necessity.

So my question is, what custom Firmware is most appropriate and how can I install it?
Tutorials would be super helpful because I've never done anything like this.

Thanks in advance!
Just follow https://3ds.hacks.guide, your 3DS can be hacked for free, which will enable you to play "backup copies", good emulator support for 8 and 16 bit consoles, and it will still be compatible with online features. However, you'll not be getting a better browser, as nobody has developed or ported an homebrew browser to the 3DS

NatsumeAshikaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at the guide, the current version of the boot9strap installer is missing the SafeBS9installer.firm.sha file, will this be an issue?

Edit: never mind, I'm an idiot.

Last edited by NatsumeAshikaga,

Pokem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PokeBank
I think there's a homebrew Pokebank that's free and better,

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also, I recommend you to turn off Streetpass, and showing friend the games you're playing and don't cheat online to lower the chances of Nintendo banning your system

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PokeBank
I think there's a homebrew Pokebank that's free and better,

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also, I recommend you to turn off Streetpass, and showing friend the games you're playing and don't cheat online to lower the chances of Nintendo banning your system
streetpass really dont mean a thing. it was spotpass and show friends what was said before about turning off.

NatsumeAshikaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the Rosalina menu, under miscellaneous options, when I do the "Switch the hb. title to current app." It gives me the error: "Operation failed (no suitable process found)." Am I missing something?

Edit: Figured it out, the guide could use a little clarification.

Last edited by NatsumeAshikaga,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.techradar.com/gaming/consoles-pc/ayns-new-gaming-handheld-looks-like-a-psp-and-it-mig...