Google teases gaming announcement for GDC

google games.JPG
It has been rumored that Google wants to get serious with the video game industry with a platform of its own. Late last year the company revealed Project Stream which was advertised as "a test of Google’s streaming technologies in the US" and released a video boasting a 1080p, 60 fps stream of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey running on the same platform. Now Google seems to have even more up its sleeve than its streaming service.

A video released on Google's official YouTube channel teases "Google’s vision for the future of gaming". While the 37 seconds-long video is vague and doesn't show much (as you can see in the video below), save for some flashy shots from what looks like different gaming scenes, a full reveal is expected during this year's GDC on March 19, 2019 at 10AM PDT.

What do you think this might be? A dedicated streaming service for games? A Google gaming console... or a streaming console, merging the two ideas? Share your thoughts below!

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: Google GDC Keynote Livestream

JavaScribe

Confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phones are getting pretty powerful, but from what I can tell (no guarantees there) the mobile gaming industry is... just that. Mobile games. Known for being time-passers more than experiences. Not saying all mobile games are; in fact, if you know of some mobile games that are really unique/cool and don't require a top-of-the-line phone, please tell me (on my profile). And, of course, there are some PC games remade for Android/iOS, often made to support crossplay. (because compatibility is fun for everyone but the devs)
Maybe they're looking at making a game themselves? Perhaps an exclusive for high-end Androids? As far as I'm aware, they haven't really made much aside from Google Doodles and some neat easter eggs. (example: today they released a little trivia game, "where on google earth is carmen sandiego," probably sponsored by Netflix)

Or maybe they're revisiting AR/VR. No offense, but cardboard was forgotten fast. Daydream isn't exactly something I hear about a lot (is it still a big thing?) and Google Glass... somehow got onto College Board's list of "restricted devices," as if someone was going to bring a Google Glass to an SAT. Okay.

Tunnels - internet tunnels, i think bandwidth goes through or something.
Fast speed traveling - whatever they're doing will be fast speed. Often times on the internet anything that is described as fast refers to downloading whatever this service or product is will require downloading of some kind.
My guess is that it's just device for Google's ultimate mind control of mankind. Ive seen batman returns ( or forever ) too many times to not see the pattern. Nit to mention the ceo of google wears a suit covered in question marks on the regular.
CRAP YOU'RE ONTO US
Maybe it's something to do with Google Fiber...?

Last edited by JavaScribe,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't say I'll be very excited if it ends up being related to streaming games
Gotta say its has come a long way, I think it will be a rival to nvidias streaming service, where you pretty much have your own dedicated hardware, can install whatever games you want ect, if so I dunno how good this will be for the hardcore due to the minimal input lag, but for everyone else who doesnt want to buy a $1000 gpu (more if they gotta do a complete rebuild, its a good choice.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotta say its has come a long way, I think it will be a rival to nvidias streaming service, where you pretty much have your own dedicated hardware, can install whatever games you want ect, if so I dunno how good this will be for the hardcore due to the minimal input lag, but for everyone else who doesnt want to buy a $1000 gpu (more if they gotta do a complete rebuild, its a good choice.

No one should have to buy a $1000 GPU unless you're big into raytracing and rendering animations IMO.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expect their so called gaming console will not have any sort of physical media. It most likely be a hybrid with digital downloads and streaming. The heaver games will most likely be streamed unless their box is more powerful then an xbox onex. I will not be getting this especially if its streaming. I will never support any streaming games. I will however wait till the game can be ran on a home computer and streamed from my own computer.

What makes you think you will not be able to permanently own the games ?
In my experience, as a cloud gaming user, I "own" the games I play. As much as you can own a steam game.

Shadow online gaming service is like renting a gaming pc per month. Your just remote desktoping a pc in the clould. Since they dont offer games i guess you would own the steam games you already bought on your pc. Since alot of steam games require a internet connection, you really are limited to their servers being up to be able to play the game. True streaming services you own nothing, like netflix. So when they tell you to stop playing a said game you dont have a choice because its no longer on their service.

The users that like streaming are the ones that dont want to own anything. Which is fine for them. I'm not giving my hard earned money to then own nothing in the end....

Last edited by Captain_N,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-