OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
story said:
A Paris court has convicted US search engine giant Google and its chief executive Eric Schmidt of defamation over results from its "suggest" function, a French legal affairs website has revealed.
The new function, which suggests options as you type in a word, brought up the words "rapist" and "satanist" when the plaintiff's name was typed into the search engine, legalis.net reported.

France fails.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100925/tc_af...rnetcourtgoogle

MMX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0ddity said:
France fails.

how is this news? france fails since the beginning of time
wacko.gif

D

Deleted User

type in 'why do b'

Honestly, this thread's gonna be trashed with 'omg type in this funny lolz' like the last 2 posts.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Google didn't commit defamation, the whole internet did and their programs picked up on it.

If a hundred websites reported news on "Guy Johnson commits murder", then autocomplete is going to give you "Guy Johnson murderer"

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
really, laws like these don't go well when mixed with google.

but it could've been worse, they could've held all sites listed by google at that time responsible.(has happened before, they held an unrelated site responsible for what google showed)

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
A lawsuit over google's search offensive results is as much fail as one over it offerring results for copyrighted content. However, with this in light I honestly do wish google offers an option to disable suggest again. Not only is it hogging their servers, doing the equivalent of maybe 5-10 searches before you actually hit the search button, but people like me dislike it altogether. I have never been a fan of autocompletes, histories and suggestions and hate it even more when they're shoved in my face. And although I don't think it should be convictable, yes, google suggest is bound to annoy some people, for example those who let their kids run a google search and it bringing up offensive words before the full searchtext is entered.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the headline for that article: "French court convicts Google and boss of defamation"

It should be "French court convicts Google and boss for defamation"

Instead, it reads as if he's the boss of defamation. It's funny, too, that this is an article coming from Yahoo. They've got the biggest penis envy of any company when it comes to search engines.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Searinox said:
A lawsuit over google's search offensive results is as much fail as one over it offerring results for copyrighted content. However, with this in light I honestly do wish google offers an option to disable suggest again. Not only is it hogging their servers, doing the equivalent of maybe 5-10 searches before you actually hit the search button, but people like me dislike it altogether. I have never been a fan of autocompletes, histories and suggestions and hate it even more when they're shoved in my face. And although I don't think it should be convictable, yes, google suggest is bound to annoy some people, for example those who let their kids run a google search and it bringing up offensive words before the full searchtext is entered.
i'm fairly certain they have an option to disable this new suggest system.
log into a valid gmail account through the google.com page, and dig a little through settings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-