Gaming Goodbye DS?

litium

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I had my DS since february 2008, had great moments with it and for some time i didn't used it. Now i'm back and still have good times. But it struck me that when the DS came out, the GBA died slowly... will this happen to the DS? I mean, even the first games for the 3DS are killer games so i'm not sure how long will the DS releases will go on.

ps. recommend games that you think will become gems when the DS "release time" dies.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The PS2 still sold well depsite the PS3 release. It all comes down to price...

I'd expect a price cut, and then the continued selling of the DSi/ DSi XL. I have a feeling Nintendo may ditch the DS Lite though.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
tk_saturn said:
The PS2 still sold well depsite the PS3 release. It all comes down to price...

I'd expect a price cut, and then the continued selling of the DSi/ DSi XL. I have a feeling Nintendo may ditch the DS Lite though.

The only reason is because there is no ps2 BC with the PS3, and I know Nintendo won't pull DS support.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
To me the Nintendo 3DS is like how some people can afford the DSi while others can only buy the DSlite. However, the powerful system that Nintendo 3DS can do does make the Nintendo DS seem inferior. At least the DS can still play all DS games which to me I'm surprised, since the DSlite isn't region lock.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the launch price is anywhere in the generally suspected range of $250, yeah, I think we're bound to see DS (DSi) linger on even longer than PS2 post PS3 launch. For many folks, they won't see the benefits of the system beyond its 3D capabilities. Developers might also be slow to develop for the system, considering the production values it's capable of versus the cost to produce such a game. The software likely won't sell for more than $40 per average game. Financially, it seems like a challenging middle road for publishers. I think that's at least part of the reason why we're seeing ports and games created using established engines in the launch line-up (not, of course, including first-party titles).

FlashX007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well there have been price cuts. GameStop is selling DSi and DSi XL for 20 dollars off. That makes DSi 149.99 and DSi XL 169.99. In my opinion if you have enough for 150 chip in 11 bucks and get a better one. XL may be big but it is comfortable and entertaining. The 3DS will probably be the same size as the XL so also consider that.

Twin989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im sure the DS will continue getting a lot of support even after the 3DS is out. I for one will not be buying it for a while, $300 is way too much.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
In 2 years from now there will still be a lot of shovelware coming out, games like "Get fit" or "Petz: 14312". The DS userbase is just so huge, the crappy developers won't drop it so soon.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
In 2 years from now there will still be a lot of shovelware coming out, games like "Get fit" or "Petz: 14312". The DS userbase is just so huge, the crappy developers won't drop it so soon.

For proof, folks only have to breeze through a recent issue of Nintendo Power. I still see ads for double packs of cheapo GBA games -- I shit you not.

StupidGamer1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GeekyGuy said:
Satangel said:

For proof, folks only have to breeze through a recent issue of Nintendo Power. I still see ads for double packs of cheapo GBA games -- I shit you not.

I know, I get nintendo power and they are double packs for card games and other junk. DS has double packs too but it's always shovelware. If I was in nintendo's shoes, shovelware would be capped.

jdevil99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They'll still be support, but it will slowly trickle over to the 3DS over the course of 2 to 3 years and it will then go the route of GBA. I think it will still have quality games over a longer period before 3DS becomes the full blown "It" handheld, the quantity of good games will just taper off sooner.I can't wait for about 2 years after the 3DS is out and some amazing swan song esque game comes out, thus reinvigorating my passion for DS. Although, I'll always love the DS, it was just a passing thought in my head.

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The 300 dollar price point on a 3DS is a little scary, although the software library is shaping up to be epic.

Long live the DS, hopefully. My DS, at the very least, will function as a SNES emulator as long as it continues to function, new software or not.

FlashX007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If the 3DS does get a flashcart which I doubt then I am fully prepared to trade my DS Lite bundle and my new DSi XL for somebody to buy one for me. The value of my DS Lite bundle is worth approximately 120 and a new midnight blue XL with a crystal case comes to 180 since it dropped to 169.99. Either way I think I am prepared. When it comes to goodbye DS. I won't be surprised. I am not the only one who probably thought of trading theirs in with other stuff for an upgrade.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anne Noise said:
The 300 dollar price point on a 3DS is a little scary, although the software library is shaping up to be epic.

Long live the DS, hopefully. My DS, at the very least, will function as a SNES emulator as long as it continues to function, new software or not.
Same here, I will keep my DS Lite and DSi XL even after I get my hands on a 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt