Gaming Good resource for learning about video terminology?

SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does anyone know a good site where I can learn about video terminology? I mean things like bitrate, codecs, containers etc. I have become fed up with GUI front-ends for ffmpeg (which most video converters are seemingly), which I have found either slow and freeze-prone (SUPER), not easily allowing me to do what I want (Quick Media Converter), specific to one format (HandBrake) or simply not working at all (MediaCoder), and I want to start using ffmpeg manually myself (or write some .BAT scripts for conversions I do regularly), but its hard to understand what options I should use etc., so I would like to read about what the various terms really mean. The ffmpeg documentation doesn't really specify what each option does, just how to change it.

Thanks in advance.

SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks. Any specific pages, or should I just search for the various terms I want to learn more about? (e.g. is there a page with a load of the terms on it, or just individual pages for each term?)

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Wikipedia.

No, I'm serious.

I agree lol and it was what I was going to post...

To add maybe a bit more search for video on wikipedia and it will have links to things in the article leading to other articles.... I find more information that way by "worming" my way through
smile.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
JonthanD said:
Rydian said:
Wikipedia.

No, I'm serious.

To add maybe a bit more search for video on wikipedia and it will have links to things in the article leading to other articles.... I find more information that way by "worming" my way through
smile.gif

That's what I did (and what I usually do on Wikipedia, whether I start out to or not
tongue.gif
), and I think I've learnt a bit more than I knew before. Still, I'll need to spend a bit more time doing so, and if anyone has any more suggestions, please post them, always good to get a couple of angles on things.

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
JonthanD said:
Rydian said:
Wikipedia.

No, I'm serious.

smile.gif

That's what I did (and what I usually do on Wikipedia, whether I start out to or not
tongue.gif
), and I think I've learnt a bit more than I knew before. Still, I'll need to spend a bit more time doing so, and if anyone has any more suggestions, please post them, always good to get a couple of angles on things.

I use Opera as my internet browser and one of the quick link things I use is Wikipedia, I know its not the end all and be all of information but when I need to check something quick and the answer is not life and death important..... It's "good enough" lol

I remember one of the collages put all the courses online... I wonder if they put up the media stuff... (checks)

Oh yeah here it is
smile.gif
it was MIT they put a lot of the stuff they teach online for free.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/

I do not see any broadcasting or media courses though? Surely some of the engineering stuff has something on it though lol

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
What the fuck is a codec?
*checks wikipedia*
"A video codec is a device or software that enables video compression and/or decompression for digital video. The compression usually employs lossy data compression."
Hey, "video compression" and "lossy data compression" are clickable... maybe I should open those pages in a new tab for a reference and further reading.
*reads down a bit*
Okay, so that's what a codec's job is. Now, let me look up what exactly video lossy data compression is...
*checks the page*
Okay, so there's lossy and lossless. Maybe I should check the intro of both pages to compare and contrast the two...
Ah, so that's the difference between lossy and lossless! Now I know why RARing a video doesn't do shit to reduce it's size!
I learned three things already! Let me click more links....

Like that.

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
What the fuck is a codec?
*checks wikipedia*
"A video codec is a device or software that enables video compression and/or decompression for digital video. The compression usually employs lossy data compression."
Hey, "video compression" and "lossy data compression" are clickable... maybe I should open those pages in a new tab for a reference and further reading.
*reads down a bit*
Okay, so that's what a codec's job is. Now, let me look up what exactly video lossy data compression is...
*checks the page*
Okay, so there's lossy and lossless. Maybe I should check the intro of both pages to compare and contrast the two...
Ah, so that's the difference between lossy and lossless! Now I know why RARing a video doesn't do shit to reduce it's size!
I learned three things already! Let me click more links....

Like that.

lol exactly like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    meowie13 @ meowie13: hellooo everyone