Golden Sun Mirror

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Lubbo, Dec 22, 2008.

Dec 22, 2008

Golden Sun Mirror by Lubbo at 7:30 AM (1,731 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Lubbo
    OP

Member Lubbo GBAtemp Traceur

Australia
    Golden Sun 1 & 2 are my favourite games of all time and im just wondering if there are any games on DS or GBA which are just like Golden Sun and are worth playing? thanks

2. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    I personally have not been able to find an RPg as good as Golden Sun but I have since learned to lower my standards. I have enjoyed the Final Fantasy remakes and Chrono Trigger. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am a fan of Traditional JRPG's like Golden Sun and while I do not hate the newer types, the classics will hold a place in my heart.

3. Zamo

Member Zamo GBAtemp Regular

South Africa
    Here's a link to the topic titled What is the BEST RPG in your opinion. You might want to check it out, as many of those games are excellent and are pretty similar in gameplay to the Golden Sun games.

4. xanth

Member xanth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I can't think of anything on the DS...although if you go back and play Lufia I and II for the SNES, they offered relatively similar gameplay. They did release III on the GBC and IV for the GBA, but they weren't nearly as good.

The first Wild Arms game for the PS is also reminiscent of Golden Sun's gameplay for me.

5. Edgedancer

Australia
    That is not really that helpful as it lists RPG's from all consoles when Lubbo is specifically looking for games on the DS.

6. Lubbo
    OP

Australia
    lol i was thinking that i might have to lower my standards
    anyway i guess i have to just try other RPGs i just loved golden sun games so much

7. Edgedancer

Australia
    Believe me. Lower your standards and you will enjoy games a lot more.

8. timehawk

Newcomer timehawk Member

United States
    I think this is actually a universal truth.
    In life, people tend to want 'MORE MORE, And More'
    We like to go up the ladder of luxury and not down it.
    And we won't stay satisfied with one rung of the ladder for very long either.
    IE: you get a new gadget for yourself. At first you absolutely love it, but after a while it doesn't hold a "special" place in your mind anymore.

Anyways, getting back on topic...
    There are a plethora of remakes for the DS. All of which are traditional JRPG games.

Hmm, I don't think Dragon Quest IV was mentioned.

9. Edgedancer

Australia
    Ah yes. I had forgotten about the Dragon Quest remakes. Also check out Magical Starsign. I know that it seems kiddy but the battle system is sound.
    If you have the Slot-2 cart, you can also play the Lufia games and a lot of other games in the similar style.

10. bumjeans

Member bumjeans GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Is Golden Sun really that good? I have never got round to playing it but you guys have got me interested.

So what makes GS the best?

11. Zamo

Member Zamo GBAtemp Regular

South Africa
    I liked it because it reminded me a lot of console RPGs while being portable. Of course it also had great puzzles and combat, so I guess it's a mixture of all the things mentioned that makes it good. At least for me.

12. Edgedancer

Australia
    It is just a classic RPG that feels like a console RPG but is on the GBA. It has the best visuals and sound of any GBA game in my opinion and he characters are very well developed over the course of the game.

13. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I always felt it was kinda generic.

14. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Well, a lot of it is. The combat is classic JRPG, and the whole Djinn system is just like the summons from Final Fantasy as well.
    But it was very well executed, had an interesting story and great puzzle elements with the Psy powers (or whatever they were called). My only complaint with it really is that there were a lot of areas (especially in The Lost Age) where you'd have to spend time grinding to level up. The ruins in The Lost Age was particularly horrible, as it was so big and confusing, I'd get lost in it every time.

Anyway, it's just a very memorable, well-executed RPG. It didn't revolutionise, but it showed us what a good JRPG should be like.

Looking back, it's my fondest memory of the GBA days, and possibly out of all the RPGs I've played (bar maybe FFX). There could be a little nostalgia there though.

15. Lubbo
    OP

Australia
    im glad i played the golden suns but they were my first RPGs i ever played lol thats why my standards are so high everything about the game was great, the story, the gameplay, the spells and summons and especially how long the game was i have i think 73 hours played on my lost age file also i played the lost age first