Gaming Golden Sun: Dark Dawn Discussion Thread

Erdnaxela

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm hyped too
yaynds.gif

Just hope we get a patch that work on Cyclods this time, so I can play the US version while I wait my pre-ordered copy of the PAL one >.<
And by the way 7.5/10 is a pretty good score
wink.gif

Ashley Riot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it pretty safe to say that people who did enjoy 1 and 2 will probably like this one, and people who didn't enjoy it probably won't change their minds with this one.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
brandonspikes said:
Once again children, unless you played the version native to your language, and can provide a non biased review, please don't talk.

And yet you're not on a high horse, "child"?

You don't need to be native to a country to be able to understand the language, especially in a world where everyone should be fluent in at least two languages. Providing non-biased reviews isn't a problem, either. Not all of us are blind to opinions that don't correlate with our own. As I said, the reviewer only had two valid arguments against the game. The game is a bit too easy at times and the talking can go on for too long. But as I said also, one has to take into account that this is as much a full game as the original Golden Sun was. Even though you are locked to Angara and half of the Eastern Sea, you'll still be Level 40~50 by the time you hit the last dungeon. So even though the game is "really short", you still level up as much as you did in The Lost Age. The game, however, isn't really archaic. It's a breath of fresh air in a time when every Japanese developer seems to think their games have to become as Westernised as possible to succeed. The traditionalist nature of Dark Dawn is reassuring, if only because it reminds us of why JRPGs became so popular in the first place.

In my humble opinion, Dark Dawn is the best RPG the DS has ever had. Its only competitor is Dragon Quest IX. But while Dragon Quest IX has a much greater amount of post-game content, the main story and characters in Dark Dawn are vastly superior. Dark Dawn also looks considerably better than Dragon Quest IX, both inside battle and out of it. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the only things Dragon Quest IX has over Dark Dawn is the customisable appearance of characters and the multiplayer/post-game content. Aside from that, Golden Sun is better in every way. The puzzles are better, the towns are more varied and feel more alive, the story is actually really good and the battle system is much more enjoyable and looks a whole lot more awesome as well.

So drop the condescending attitude, eh? It's most unbecoming.

Zanahoria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm pretty excited about this game, I really loved GS 1 and 2 so I'll probably enjoy this one even if it's not "great".

brandonspikes said:
Once again children, unless you played the version native to your language, and can provide a non biased review, please don't talk.
Then I'll never be able to review this game, because there's no way in hell it's going to be released in my native language. :/

Arch Feline

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a Camelot fanboy. I have beat Dark Dawn twice. The gameplay is fun, the puzzles are fun. The story is driven by the ideology of the characters and the interelationships. There is a lot of conversation.

You can enjoy this game even if you are not into the characters and the ideology. It is these things though, characters and ideology, that is going to make this game rememorable ... or not.

The game development is sufficient for me to have the gist of the story even though I do not understand Japanese. I like the story. I will not know whether I like the characters until the NA release. Whether I like or dislike them is independent of your liking or disliking them.

BTW you do get a chance to grind. How is spoilerific and I leave it to you to find out. My entire party is maxed out.

Rayster

Trophies
XP
Country
6 days to go?
yaynds.gif

Just like other said, it's safe to assume that if you liked GS1 and GS2, you'll mostly love this game!

I wonder if there's an early dump for this game? XD

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Rayster said:
I wonder if there's an early dump for this game? XD

For once, I hope there isn't. The game comes out over here on December 10th and I have it preordered and everything. So I don't want to touch the English version until I have the game in my hands. So if the game gets dumped early, the temptation will be there!
unsure.gif

Taichi24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
For once, I hope there isn't. The game comes out over here on December 10th and I have it preordered and everything. So I don't want to touch the English version until I have the game in my hands. So if the game gets dumped early, the temptation will be there!
unsure.gif

Well your best bet would be to stay far away from gbatemp next week
yaynds.gif

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The start of this month, I actually re-played GS1 and GS2 to re-fresh my memory and it was worth it!
happy.gif
Took me about a week to finish GS1 and about 2 weeks to finish GS2 (I actually "finished" both games, all djinni's summons etc...)

I am luckey I finished them both before english version of GS3 comes out. I am SOOOO EXCITED!!!!

dan80315

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
brandonspikes said:
Once again Mr. "Look at me on my high horse" person, stfu if you don't like seeing opinions you can gtfo this thread. Please don't talk.

Taichi24 said:
QUOTE(Wintrale @ Nov 23 2010, 07:50 PM) For once, I hope there isn't. The game comes out over here on December 10th and I have it preordered and everything. So I don't want to touch the English version until I have the game in my hands. So if the game gets dumped early, the temptation will be there!
unsure.gif

yaynds.gif
Can't say I'm dying to see this released but I wouldn't mind playing it either.

D

Deleted User

dan80315 said:
brandonspikes said:
Once again Mr. "Look at me on my high horse" person, stfu if you don't like seeing opinions you can gtfo this thread. Please don't talk.

Taichi24 said:
QUOTE(Wintrale @ Nov 23 2010, 07:50 PM) For once, I hope there isn't. The game comes out over here on December 10th and I have it preordered and everything. So I don't want to touch the English version until I have the game in my hands. So if the game gets dumped early, the temptation will be there!
unsure.gif

yaynds.gif
Can't say I'm dying to see this released but I wouldn't mind playing it either.

Don't want you popping a blood vessel in your brain now.

dan80315

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
brandonspikes said:
Don't want you popping a blood vessel in your brain now.
lol your shit insults would have to actually mean something in order for me to do that =)

But I'll make this thread less about you from now on, Mr. High horse person.

D

Deleted User

The intro cinematic is pretty epic, reminds me of the 2nd one a bit, but it's far nicer.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Golden Sun creator Hiroyuki Takahashi talked to Joystiq in an interview recently and he mentioned the Solar Soothsayer Golden Sun fake I created back in 2007! Really cool.

QUOTE said:
Camelot may not have needed to worry so much about fans coming back. In 2007, in the absence of a DS Golden Sun, one fan went so far as to invent one. A fan going by the name "Opium" circulated a hoax about an upcoming game called Golden Sun: Solar Soothsayer, and later revealed to Vooks that he did so to generate more discussion about the series. Unfortunately, "Opium" can't take credit for the decision to create Dark Dawn, as Takahashi hadn't seen the Solar Soothsayer hoax until we pointed it out.

"'The Solar Soothsayer' sounds really cool," Takahashi opined. "I wonder how the story would go ... I want to see how it would turn out!" As an admitted fan of his own series, Takahashi mused about what it would be like to play a Golden Sun game without foreknowledge of every aspect. "I really love the gameplay and storyline of the Golden Sun series, so it's natural for us as developers and fans to be curious about how it would feel to play a game in the series without having spent years making it." Nintendo assistant producer Sato Yuya hadn't seen it before either, but said "We now understand that the fan who created this hoax image had a very strong desire for the sequel!"

Totoy_Kamote

Trophies
XP
Country
Opium said:
Golden Sun creator Hiroyuki Takahashi talked to Joystiq in an interview recently and he mentioned the Solar Soothsayer Golden Sun fake I created back in 2007! Really cool.

QUOTE said:
Camelot may not have needed to worry so much about fans coming back. In 2007, in the absence of a DS Golden Sun, one fan went so far as to invent one. A fan going by the name "Opium" circulated a hoax about an upcoming game called Golden Sun: Solar Soothsayer, and later revealed to Vooks that he did so to generate more discussion about the series. Unfortunately, "Opium" can't take credit for the decision to create Dark Dawn, as Takahashi hadn't seen the Solar Soothsayer hoax until we pointed it out.

"'The Solar Soothsayer' sounds really cool," Takahashi opined. "I wonder how the story would go ... I want to see how it would turn out!" As an admitted fan of his own series, Takahashi mused about what it would be like to play a Golden Sun game without foreknowledge of every aspect. "I really love the gameplay and storyline of the Golden Sun series, so it's natural for us as developers and fans to be curious about how it would feel to play a game in the series without having spent years making it." Nintendo assistant producer Sato Yuya hadn't seen it before either, but said "We now understand that the fan who created this hoax image had a very strong desire for the sequel!"
That's you....
mellow.gif

VentusVanitas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice Opium, you actually got talked about....

I just wanted to say this

I HAVE THE GAME

But then, to those who are envious,

I'm joking

All jokes aside, I'm still waiting for this game. I hope VENOM comes back
just to do one last release (if they're quitting) so we have the game pre-cracked.

dan80315

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Opium said:

QUOTE said:

Holy shit... that was you? You were the fan to do that?
tongue.gif
Hi. Sign my manboobs?

QUOTE(rikardo03 @ Nov 24 2010, 02:37 AM)
That's you....
mellow.gif

I know :|

D

Deleted User

Opium said:

QUOTE said:

The Supervisor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==