Going to start selling candies in school. Tips?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Pokem, May 10, 2017.

1. Pokem
    OP

Pokem GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2016
    United States
    Hi, tomorrow, I'm going to start selling candies in school.
    Any tips on how to be successful?
    Today I just bought a box of 30 with Snickers, Twix, Milky Way, MM and Peanut MM for $18 bucks.
    That's like $12 profit if I sell out per day.
    Also just bought a lunch pack to carry the candies around with me.
    I think my school allow people to sell candies because other people is doing it, I mean come on, it's high school for god's sake. We should have at least that much freedom.

2. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    A kid in high school got fined 500 euros and had to repeat the school year because he was selling candies and food in general. The companies who filled the vending machines were scared of the competition of a kid and sued him.

Word of advice: ask permission first.

Edit: 5000 not 500

Last edited by Vipera, May 10, 2017
    8BitWonder likes this.
  3. Pokem
    OP

Jul 22, 2016
    United States
    Holy shit.
    I live in US though

4. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    Stupid shit can happen anywhere. Just be yourself. Don't try to hustle or any of that fake shit. Nobody likes to feel forced or guilted into making a purchase. You can tell customers to stock up for halloweeen. Have fun with it. People like to laugh.

zoogie likes this.
  5. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Are you a student or a teacher?

Klairm likes this.
  6. Kourin

Kourin Touhou Maniac

Jan 24, 2016
    Australia
    Ripple Star
    Wut? 24 and still in high school?
    If you're a teacher, that's going to come off as extremely weird. Wouldn't recommend it.

Quantumcat likes this.
  7. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Us firms are likely to sue you even quicker. If your school has any vending machines or kiosks selling candies, they are prolly not going to allow you anyway.
    Snitch out the other kids. Send an anon mail

8. Proust

Proust Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2017
    Swaziland
    Why don't you sell healthy stuff such as fruits? Do we want to see kids getting even more obese and unhealthy?..

9. Kourin

Kourin Touhou Maniac

Jan 24, 2016
    Australia
    Ripple Star
    Well, kids aren't going to buy that obviously.

10. amoulton

amoulton GBAtemp Fan

Nov 18, 2014
    United States
    Franklin, Massachusetts
    The vending companies might have exclusive contracts with the *schools*, but you can't just sue somebody for honing in on your territory. If anything they'll pressure the school into punishing the student.

11. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
  12. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    I don't think there is any way he'd be made to repeat a year of school. That's just a bizarre punishment. A fine, yeah maybe.

I would sell it anyway. I remember in middle school a kid used to make fried rice at home, and then bring takeout boxes full of it and sell it at lunch. I think your school would have to be real jerkish to punish you without a warning.
    Increase your profit margins though, Jesus. You're paying 60 cents a candy bar in bulk? I bet you could find the same candy for half that prince if you shop around.

Last edited by Deboog, May 10, 2017
  13. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Jeez, kids can't catch a break these days. I remember I used to sell packs of gum at school, when I was like, 7 or so. The market was mine to conquer! 7 year old Chary made BANK!

Pfft, I can only imagine how well that'd go. Trying to sell oranges to kids? You can't market that at all.

Honestly, so long as your age in your profile doesn't match your actual age, go for it, I can't see a school going full force and dropping a lawsuit on you without fair warning first.

BORTZ and hobbledehoy899 like this.
  14. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    Anything can happen, really. This was back in italy so...

And I wouldn't want him to be sued by some crazy parents for allergic reactions or just because their kids got fatter or some BS excuse.

15. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    Lace it with LSD?
    Wtf is wrong with this world when a kid can't make a few $$$ by selling candy? Jesus fucking Christ on a bicycle
    You can sell you ass on Craigslist but selling candy in school is illegal?

The Real Jdbye likes this.
  16. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2015
    Italy
    My mum says: Don't accept candies from strangers

17. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    If i was in school now, i would buy fruit :)
    Cut it in pieces, then in small throw away boxes with a plastic fork and sell it for profit
    - It's healty
    - The school would probably quicker in allowing it
    - I bet most schools don't have vending machines that sell pre-cut fruitmix

I work @ school, vending machines that sell candy and soft drinks like cola/limonade, etc) are forbidden
    Only vending machines with water (with and without bubbles) some orange juice and some others that are seen as healty are allowed

Proust likes this.
  18. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    Skip the candies and just sell drugs, more profit.

19. Pokem
    OP

Jul 22, 2016
    United States
    I'll try to find a box cheaper. Maybe I'll switch to selling Gatorade depending on the price per pack.
    I talked to my dad about it today, and we bought the candy and the lunch bag at Costco.
    Maybe Costco isn't the best place to buy these boxes.
    I'll probably try Wal-Mart or Target next, but the transportation is too inconvenient. I don't have a car (getting one when I turn 18 next year though) and Wal-Mart is too far, and Target is also far. But I live like, pretty much right next to Food4Less, so there ought to be something I can buy and make some profit on.
    So Costco is pretty much my only option right now in terms of chocolate boxes if we're talking about transportation convenience, plus my parents only have day offs on Monday, so that's probably the only day I can rely on them to buy a box or two for me then I'll pay them back with the money I earn. I plan to sell a box a day, so every day I'll have to walk to Costco and buy a new box. If profit is high, I'll increase the stock to 2 boxes a day.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

LOL, I know you mean it as a joke, but I'm not into that sort of business yo. I don't want to risk an arrest and be involved with the police.

My school gives out fruits in pretty much every lunch, so no need to sell.

oh my fucking god. are you serious?
    well, at least if they catch me with candy, i can at least say i plan on eating them.
    and the money, they're my mommy's allowance. im planning on buying some new shoes today and a fidget spinner at 7/11

20. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    Make sure you don't give stuff out on the tick with the promise of payment another day... it never happens :)