Hacking GHWT SD DLC Workaround

netsliderx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By now most of you have likely noticed that you will receive an error when trying to save DLC to your SD cards... You can only save to the Wii's limited memory.. ugh

So, I went ahead and did some testing and found a way (not pretty) that this can be done and not have to worry about filling your Wii Internal Memory with dlc.. God I hope someone can fix this!!

1) You MUST save to the Wii system memory first. This creates what they call "add on catalog" which is obviously integral to how it makes dlc work.

2) Exit to wii menu

3) Go into wii memory menu and copy the add on to your SD card then go ahead and delete the one that is on the Wii system memory

4) Reboot GHWT. You'll see that your DLC still works
smile.gif

Go ahead and download another song.. save to SD. you will get the same error but then hit '2' for archives. Look at what is now present on the SD side! Despite the error, it does save to your SD card BUT it also saves on the Wii system memory. The problem with this is that every time you download new songs (per session thankfully) while it will save to SD, you need to go into wii system memory and delete the file... but then recreate it in the Music store. Again, this is a workaround to keep your dlc on the SD card but not fill up your Wii system memory.

Again, I really hope a real fix can be found for the SD direct save. I hope this helps.

mrwulff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty sure mine works flawlessly, either you are doing something wrong or your wiis broken. the archive menu works just like it should if you follow the directions. i have never gone into my wii 'memory menu' to copy songs to sd.

Luriden

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only problem with this method is that there's no way to combine songs. For example, you do all of this, then you get another song... you'll have to either keep it in the Wii memory or delete the save on the SD, redownload everything to your Wii again so you have all the tracks in one save, then copy to SD again. I don't even have enough free space on my Wii to have all the free songs downloaded at once, the filesizes are HUGE. Two songs took up close to 600 blocks...

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well it's a workaround for what ?
Mines works the way it should, I'm not sure I follow you here...Do you get free songs like this or what ?

benwin84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get the error transfering to an sd card after downloading them from the music store. I found out after i get the error and restart the Wii and play the game again it works with out a problem. The only issue is every time I transfer a newly downloaded song to the sd card I get the error and have to restart the Wii. Playing songs from the sd card doesn't cause the issue luckly.

netsliderx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those of you that don't get this error when downloading NOT playing... is your GHWT 1:1 or patched? Mine is patched. I wonder if that has any bearing on the issue.

trent_fox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using a 1:1 copy on a chipped 3.2U, and saving to SD works flawlessly. I'm really quite amazed at how well Activision got the DLC working.

Ozz465

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edgedancer said:
Luriden said:
...the filesizes are HUGE. Two songs took up close to 600 blocks...
If that is the case, I may invest in getting on of those 4gb non SDHC cards that seems to work on the wii.
Got a link to these cards? i always thought the limit was 2 gigs for the wii?

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ozz465 said:
Edgedancer said:
Luriden said:
...the filesizes are HUGE. Two songs took up close to 600 blocks...
If that is the case, I may invest in getting on of those 4gb non SDHC cards that seems to work on the wii.
Got a link to these cards? i always thought the limit was 2 gigs for the wii?
Actually, the just can't handle SDHC cards. 4GB Non-SDHC cards work though since they are not SD. What sucks is that there is no way to be able to use SDHC cards on the Wii...yet...maybe.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
There is a way.
smile.gif

Pad the 4GB (or above) SDHC card with random files until it has only 2GB left. It will be able to used with the Wii. Then gradually delete the padding as you add more songs, and you will eventually be able to utilize all of the space. Just make sure at all times the SDHC has only 2GB or less free space.

Luriden

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trent_fox said:
I am using a 1:1 copy on a chipped 3.2U, and saving to SD works flawlessly. I'm really quite amazed at how well Activision got the DLC working.

I'm using a 1:1 copy on a 3.2U softmodded Wii with backup loader 0.3, and whenever I choose to save it to the SD I get an error code (don't know the exact code off the top of my head.) Has anyone else using the backup loader been able to save them to SD directly from the music store without having to go to the Wii system menu?

Ozz465

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
coolbho3000 said:
There is a way.
smile.gif

Pad the 4GB (or above) SDHC card with random files until it has only 2GB left. It will be able to used with the Wii. Then gradually delete the padding as you add more songs, and you will eventually be able to utilize all of the space. Just make sure at all times the SDHC has only 2GB or less free space.
Thk u very much , ill try this method soon .

netsliderx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right that's how to get a 4gb sdhc card to work.. Thanks!

Now, about this DLC direct to SD issue.. any ideas there?

sum182

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well why wont it in the first place?...i'm not to sure so someone tell me and i might be able to come up with someting

Arek1985

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'll say I've had no problem downloading dlc directly to SD. Well should I say transferring to SD right after download. Now I legally downloaded it from the music store so maybe that is it. I'm curious though if you accidentally delete dlc can you re-download it from the music store. But I've ordered one of the transcend 4gb sd cards and was going to transfer all my dlc to that using the workaround to use a 4gb card on the wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later