Ghost Trick rom hack problem

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Caxap91, Aug 28, 2011.

Aug 28, 2011

Ghost Trick rom hack problem by Caxap91 at 4:45 PM (1,868 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

  1. Caxap91
    OP

    Newcomer Caxap91 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Messages:
    12
    Country:
    Russia
    Help me!
    I want to translate Ghost Trick to Russian, since I have enjoyed this game pretty much [​IMG]

    I have the enthusiasm to translate the whole text, but I don't know anything about the romhacking.
    Since (apparently) there is noone who wants to help me on russian forums, I decided to learn myself.

    I was able to open the rom (not so hard though), but the text files have a pretty wierd format...
    like this:

    st05_game000_Expand.en.xml.lz

    And I can not extract the text itself

    What can you say? Any help is appreciated! [​IMG]
     
  2. FAST6191

    Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

    pip
    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2005
    Messages:
    21,738
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    I am working with the European version here but I doubt it will be much different if you are using the US or Japanese one.

    The xml bit caught my eye- XML is a sort of computer language http://www.w3schools.com/xml/default.asp although even when extracting the files they do not appear to be proper XML with no real markup and a lot of binary data. There have however been modifications of such languages in the past (lua for puzzle quest) and there is an entire "equivalent" language for binary stuff called EBML (it is what MKV/matroska uses).

    LZ is a common type of compression- it starts with 11 which indicates type 11 LZ compression. Common enough and handled by the likes of http://code.google.com/p/dsdecmp/ and crystaltile2 http://filetrip.net/f23649-CrystalTile2-2010-09-06.html .

    Somewhat more curious is the stuff in the system directory which appears to have files in compressed and uncompressed form- the ones ending with LZ decompress to match the .bin ones exactly.

    Each of the st?? directories has a root.xml file although st04 has two files with root in the name.
    Although I did not check them all each group of files in the directories have another file without the implied language contents that is usually a bit to a lot bigger than the files it is grouped with.

    mods files are just videos from what I recall ("act imagine" format like VX files)

    The database files in the system directory all appear to start the same save for a value that changes 8 bytes in- in DS files this is often size related and in this I am guessing it is actually 4 bytes long rather than 2 making it an address which usually points to a location with "junk" in it but just after that (same distance every time) there is some text.

    I shall have to look more at this rom.
     
  3. Caxap91
    OP

    Newcomer Caxap91 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Messages:
    12
    Country:
    Russia
    Oh, thank you!

    I'll try to open these files with CrystalTile2, maybe it will work.
     
  4. Caxap91
    OP

    Newcomer Caxap91 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Messages:
    12
    Country:
    Russia
    I tried to open several system files with CrystalTile 2, but I have a problem with coding system, I suppose, because the only thing I get is this:

    [​IMG]

    I tried to change coding system, but it didn't work...
     
  5. Sora de Eclaune

    Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2011
    Messages:
    2,785
    Location:
    123 Fake Street
    Country:
    United States
    That's odd... CrystalTile2 is supposed to have a DS button, so you can go into the file system of the ROM and import/extract files as needed.
     
  6. FAST6191

    Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

    pip
    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2005
    Messages:
    21,738
    Country:
    United Kingdom
    @Sora de Eclaune that is only for DS roms- that looks like an individual file.

    Assuming that is decompressed and I can not be certain from that screenshot- when you right clicked the file in crystaltile2 there should have been an option to extract which just dumps the file as is and uncompress or words to that effect which will decompress the file although if you want http://code.google.com/p/dsdecmp/ should be able to do it.

    Anyhow yeah the text format, if there is any there, did not look like an encoding I have seen before but that is OK as games use custom encodings all the time (indeed such things are more or less the first lesson in translation hacking). Trying to puzzle it out will be a different game though- first I would look at the ram to see if it does end up as ASCII/unicode there (if it does it might be filtered or encrypted in files) but after that it is the stand methods (relative search- monkey moore and crystaltile2 have options, distribution- space is likely to be common, interpretation- again space is common and if it is XML it will have lots of < and > characters which should stand out, corruption, brute force, assembly, save fiddling* and so forth- do remember you have three regions to compare between). I did not do anything here when I pulled them apart other than scan the files by eye and decompress them so it might be easy and might be hard.

    *Start the game and name the character before saving. Start another and another and compare notes- start of the game should be near identical aside from the differences in the save data although it can get a bit more complex than that if you want it and you start entering names and looking at the ram when you are doing it.
     

Share This Page