Gaming gfx card size ??

morcar

OP
Trophies
Website
www.tredegarforum.com
XP
Country
I am building a new pc for my friend but i am using one of those slim pc cases so i have picked a Micro ATX mainboard. When i look at the gfx cards they all seem too big for the case. I remember when i was going to do use a slim case before that the amount of room for my Geforce 8800GTS wasnt much, in fact the gfx card touched the power supply was screwed in the front of the case.

So the question i wanted to ask was what is a good card for gaming but is small in size to fit into the case ?

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well on the ATI side there is the HD 4350 which is designed for small computers, but not necessarily gaming or the 4650/4670 which are both midrange cards that are significantly shorter than the 8800GT and not too much slower. I would say your best bet would be seeing if a 4670 would fit in the case, seeing as the 4670 is probably the smallest card capable of running modern games well (see: above 30fps). If you can't fit a 4670 in their, you could fall back to a 9400 or a 4350 but don't expect either to do very well

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Or you could just buy a larger case which would be a better alternative than a lower-midrange graphics card when you could afford a higer-midend card.

morcar

OP
Trophies
Website
www.tredegarforum.com
XP
Country
yeah thats what i am thinking the case is far too small to be a gaming pc as you can not fit a decent gfx card. Also the Mirco ATX boards if you wanted a good one that takes a quad core cpu are expensive. Time to scrap this idea and start off with a new project i think.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
morcar said:
yeah thats what i am thinking the case is far too small to be a gaming pc as you can not fit a decent gfx card. Also the Mirco ATX boards if you wanted a good one that takes a quad core cpu are expensive. Time to scrap this idea and start off with a new project i think.

A decent microATX board isn't all that expensive. A mobo based on an intel chipset will most likely support quadcore CPU's.
I still prefer full sized ATX boards because of the option to expand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: That's what I like to see B-) +1