Getting wifi on desmuME

GETTING WIFI TO WORK ON DESMUME

First you will need a couple of things:

A Computer(of course)
A wired internet connection (via LAN cable)
Win PCap(PROVIDED)
A wi-fi compatible DesmuME(PROVIDED)
Any wi-fi compatible game.(DO NOT ASK FOR ANY LINKS TO ROMS OF COURSE....)

STEP 1 : Download this pack DesmuME wifi pack this contains Win Pcap and the other things you will need. Also a version 0.9.7 of desmuME with wifi capabilities enabled by slytherx HERE.Whichever version of desmume you are using ( 32 or 64 bit) in its own folder... along with any other files the emu may need in that same folder along with it.

STEP 2: Unzip contents and Install Win Pcap.After installation make sure and give Win Pcap exceptions in all firewall software..When installing Winpcap..check the option for starting the driver as windows starts up.

STEP 3: Open DesmuME(IMPORTANT NOTE....ALL WINDOWS 7/WINDOWS VISTA USERS MUST OPEN DESMUME AS AN ADMINISTRATOR OR ELSE AN ERROR WOULD OCCUR WHEN CONNECTING TO WIFI" and go to Config--->Emulation settings. Now set the correct paths for the ARM 7 BIOS, ARM 9 bios and Firmware bin...of course it would be wherever you downloaded it to...Make sure the "Use external Bios image" "Use external firmware image" ,"Boot from firmware like the nds" AND "Enabled Advanced bus level timing" are all checked...I am not sure about the rest so leave them unchecked.. It would now look like this...

http://img153.imageshack.us/i/setupg.png

STEP 4: IN desmuME still go to Conifg---> wifi and click on "Infrastructure mode"

STEP 5:Now open your game and go into Nintendo Wi-fi settings and search for an access point...u should see "SOFT AP" as one...test connection to that and it should work...I think this must be done every time you open/close the emulator....(Hey can't be too perfect)

STEP 6:Enjoy....
yaynds.gif

TRYFORCE's TUTORIAL ON GETTING WIFI TO WORK ON DesmuME ON ANDROID COMPATIBLE DEVICES

TryForce said:
Android users are in luck!!! I just tested WFC in pokemon black according to the op's tutorial except my connection to the internet is via USB tether to my Andoid phone!
I have a rooted MyTouch 3G (I'll try it on my new MyTouch 4g next week).
I'm running a hacked ver. of Cyanogen 6.1 Signed. I'm simply using Cyanogen mod's built-in USB tether.

Here's what I did:
a. Follow Lune's directions for DesmuME and winPcap setup.
b. Disconnect your current active internet connection.
c. Plug your 3g/4g data capable android device into a USB (2.0) port in your PC.
d. Set your phone to tether via USB. In Cyanogen 6.1 this can be done via Settings->Wireless & networks->Tethering. Check the box next to usb tethering.
e. Verify that you have established an internet connection. Windows 7 sees my device as a network adapter called "Remote NDIS based internet sharing device". Regardless of the device ID, you should have a valid IP and be able to browse the web.
f. Restart Windows (This is necessary to let winpcap work "its magic").
g. Don't forget to run desmume as administrator in Windows 7/Windows vista!!
h. In desmume's wifi settings (config->wi-fi), you should see your android device's manufacturer in the dropdown box. Mine simply said "HTC". Select it.
i. You should be set!

Again, this was tested on a rooted mytouch 3g running Cyanogen 6.1. Results may vary. I can probably help some people who need it. For more information about rooting your android device, check out the cyanogen mod forums (make sure you understand the risks involved).

Thanks for this tut, Lune!

Video of me on gts in Pokemon White
Went on GTS

Video of a wifi battle on Pokemon white (lost of course..):
Wfi battle

NOTE:AGAIN I HEARD THIS ONLY WORKS FOR WIRED CONNECTIONS you could try on wireless i guess...

GAMES TESTED SO FAR:

Pokemon White/Black:Works good was able to do random battle and go on gts...i think union room has Anti piracy stuff in it but didnt try it..
Mario kart DS:For some reason everything goes well but race never starts
Yugioh World Championship 2011:Over the nexus : Works very good no problems..
Tetris Ds:Works great

ERROR TROUBLESHOOTING

BEFORE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING MAKE SURE THESE THINGS ARE DONE FIRST:
-Again..have a wired connection by a cable (lan cable)
-Run desmuME as an administrator
-"For anyone getting 'Unable to get IP address' or 'Unable to connect to Nintendo Wi-fi network' errors, you need to check your router firewall settings. I use DD-WRT and an enabled SPI Firewall will not allow you access, disabling that let everything work fine.(by Forumpost)
-Disabling any firewalls that you think would be blocking the process...
-WINDOWS 7/WINDOWS VISTA users must go to network and sharing center and make sure that your connection type is set to HOME network and NOT PUBLIC OR WORK(work may work but meh)
-In the Wi-fi settings in desmume make sure it is set ton infrastructure mode and also the correct bridging is enabled with your ETHERNET CONTROLLER (your network adapter)
- Try pressing tab when connecting to nintendo wi fi connection..weird but might work

Emulator doesn't save: You would have to go into PATH SETTINGS and set your own paths for screenchots,cheats,roms,saveram etc.

Error Code 52000/52001/52002:Check your modem status and change it from bridging to PPPOE or PPPOA(sometimes work).Also double check the WEP key you entered(if used).Make sure if your on windows 7 that you have run the emulator as an administrator and also check that it's connection is an exception in your firewall/antivirus software

Error Code 52100:There could be Ip address conflict going on...you will have to give your ds its own ip address rather than using dhcp to find its own..check HERE
for help on doing that(too long to type..).Also you can try chaging the dns to 4.2.2.2 4.2.2.3 4.2.2

Error with saving wifi settings: "try keeping the external bios and firmware but without booting to ds on."

CREDITS GO TO:
DJPlace:Testing Mario kart ds
Dreamboy21: For information on the firewall exceptions and testing Tetris Ds
ryuga93:Info on error 52000
slytherx: HUGE THANKS for compiling the 0.9.7 version to use wi-fi
Forumpost: For information on disabling firewall in router settings
soc4real: For information on bridging connection with Ethernet controllers.
Tryforce:Another HUGE THANKS for tutorial on getting wi-fi to work using android devices.
Chojo: with help on error 52100
Jayc & 007 shinobi: Help on getting wifi settings to save
kay2kid: on help in "speed up connect" method

Lune

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
excellent discovery jayc...ill add that later..and ill test it out now

@Narayan and Chojo thanks for the help :Dill add this things so people can be aware also

007shinobi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You sure Jayc? I did the same exact thing but my friend code changes after I close desmume. However, the friend code stays when I reset the game or such. And, fatalruin, what procedure did you take to make your wireless adapter work? And, what wireless adapter is it?

Jayc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm not sure why either, I might test it out again today. The funny thing is that when I first used slytherx's version of the exe, I didn't see the screen with the load game, pictochat, nintendo download play and options buttons. Instead, I was prompted to enter my particulars, current date and time and my favorite colour as though I was using a physical DS for the first time.

Jayc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I just tested it again. It works. The config was saved. I turned off my computer, turned it on and I can still access the Wifi room without having to reset my FC. Traded a Deino with my physical game.

Here's what I did:
-At first, I was already using Lune's old build (0.9.6).
-When I heard about slytherx's wifi-enabled 0.9.7 build, I downloaded it, then pasted it into my wifi folder.
-I could never get pass the DS config page
-Fed up, I deleted the whole wifi folder.
-I then redownloaded it along with slytherx's 0.9.7 .exe again. This time, I deleted the old 0.9.6 .exe and pasted slytherx's .exe in again.
-I got to the DS config page again. I was disappointed, expecting the same result as before.
-Once the config was done, the emulator blacked out, as before. I cursed.
-On a whim, I pressed the rewind button (reset emulation)
-The game booted up. I was surprised and pleased, because I could finally use the 0.9.7 build (not because I could save my wifi settings; I didn't know yet)
-After confirming that wifi works and resetting my FC, I accidentally closed desume. I cursed again.
-I loaded desume up again and went to nintendo wfc settings to set it up all over again... and was greeted with Connection 1 already set up.
-Surprised, I checked it. It was as I had left it - Softap, no password and all. I tested the connection. It worked.
-I attempted to get into the wifi room. I succeeded and amazingly I didn't have to change my FC.
-I then posted what happened, turned off my computer and went to sleep.
-Today, I fired up desume again and my wifi settings are still there.

Lune, any luck?

TheSiitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, I just downloaded everything and the emulator and everything was working fine, when I searched for an access point I found softAP didn't need a pass I don't think but I always get the unable to find IP error, can anyone help me configure my firewall settings or whatever, I'm using a 2wire modem/router on bell, but I can't seem to find out how to change the firewall settings

Lune

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
I really got to sort out files one desktop and such cuz im inna messed up state
laugh.gif
. But i followed what you said and i think my configuration saved i was just getting error 61020 or something like that when connecting to gts..btw are you using firmware and bios or only firmware? And does your cmd for the emulator says "firmware config- saved" or something like that? Cuz i cant rember buit i was messing around sometime and the emulator didnt start up as normal but prompted me to put in birthday,favourite colour and such..

Also guys i will update an upload because the 0.9.6 i have here is messed up with all the wrong paths, unnecessary files and whatever else i find wrong. Thank you testers alot for all your testing(obv) and stuff...youv'e been absolutely amazing amazing

AND I WILL UPDATE TUTORIAL WITH FINDINGS AND SUCH!!

007shinobi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try what you described Jayc, now we just need to figure out how to use the wireless adapter and do FC trades with emulators
smile.gif

edit: unless you got that to work too Jayc lol

reicihi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if anyone else posted this, but you can also use an iPhone tether to get online. ...looks for "Apple" in the network connections area in the wifi settings.

I was using MyWi4 to do so tethered with usb, but i would think it also would work with any other usb-tethering apps out there.

007shinobi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think anyone has but at least it tells us any usb tethering should work
smile.gif
thanks.

edit: I just did something similar to jayc and it saves friend code
biggrin.gif
. What I did was I deleted my config file and firmware.dfc file. Then, I used external bios and firmware (with boot like ds on) and once I got to where you can edit your user settings (maybe a reset or two before I got that) I reseted. And I still never got past the user config but I disabled the external arm bios and kept firmware enabled and my friend code never changes. I tested by closing the screen and rebooting my comp. Now im going to try deleting the config file and firmware.dfc again and have only firmware enabled without having external bios.

edit 2: or to make things easier keep the external bios and firmware but without booting to ds on. That should work.

TheSiitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can anyone help me, when I search for wi fi it connects and everything the i Cant find IP, I tried everything but I dont know how to change my router firewall settings, Im using a 2Wire router, I went to the settings and it said im using a PPPoE connection type which I think is okay, but I dont know how to turn off the firewall or whatever, Im really new to working with my router my brother used to always handle that kind of stuff, Can anyone help it would be greatly appreciated.
Also in that black screen that comes up with DeSmuME it says on the side
Firmware: save config - failed
Firmware: save config - failed
does this mean anything

FatalRuin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jayc said:
I just tested it again. It works. The config was saved. I turned off my computer, turned it on and I can still access the Wifi room without having to reset my FC. Traded a Deino with my physical game.

Here's what I did:
-At first, I was already using Lune's old build (0.9.6).
-When I heard about slytherx's wifi-enabled 0.9.7 build, I downloaded it, then pasted it into my wifi folder.
-I could never get pass the DS config page
-Fed up, I deleted the whole wifi folder.
-I then redownloaded it along with slytherx's 0.9.7 .exe again. This time, I deleted the old 0.9.6 .exe and pasted slytherx's .exe in again.
-I got to the DS config page again. I was disappointed, expecting the same result as before.
-Once the config was done, the emulator blacked out, as before. I cursed.
-On a whim, I pressed the rewind button (reset emulation)
-The game booted up. I was surprised and pleased, because I could finally use the 0.9.7 build (not because I could save my wifi settings; I didn't know yet)
-After confirming that wifi works and resetting my FC, I accidentally closed desume. I cursed again.
-I loaded desume up again and went to nintendo wfc settings to set it up all over again... and was greeted with Connection 1 already set up.
-Surprised, I checked it. It was as I had left it - Softap, no password and all. I tested the connection. It worked.
-I attempted to get into the wifi room. I succeeded and amazingly I didn't have to change my FC.
-I then posted what happened, turned off my computer and went to sleep.
-Today, I fired up desume again and my wifi settings are still there.

Lune, any luck?

how do you trade with your physical game? if i try to do a direct trade it usually loses the connection at the very end and if i try to use the GTS i can never find myself...

Jayc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm not sure. If my physical DS initiates the interaction request, it sometimes gets through. If I initiate the request through the emulator, it doesn't appear on the physical DS and I get disconnected after a short time.

FatalRuin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jayc said:
I'm not sure. If my physical DS initiates the interaction request, it sometimes gets through. If I initiate the request through the emulator, it doesn't appear on the physical DS and I get disconnected after a short time.

Well i always get through. But when it get to the animation where both pokemon goes to each other then it disconnects at the very end...

BigWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Probably luck, but by using the Wi-fi Club, I can quite easily trade between my Physical and Emulation

Would love there being a way to use Entralink, but since they can't see each other (Presume because they think they are on different wireless links) am happy to have something at least

At least I'm no longer waiting until the other half gets her own version to do trades
smile.gif
lol

Edit: Forgot to mention, I still can't get the game to stop changing the FC on DeSmuMe though, when connecting through NFC, I keep getting

'Unable to connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection because the Wi-Fi User Information from the system and the Game Card do not match.'

Edit 2: Ok, appears to have deleted the Wi-Fi setup again, when yesterday it was being saved and kept... gah annoying lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-