Getting slower data transfer with HDD

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by OriginalHamster, Dec 28, 2011.

Dec 28, 2011
  1. OriginalHamster
    OP

Member OriginalHamster UStealthy

Chile
    Hi, I have been using a 500gb WesternDigital HDD for sometime, never had a problem, in fact load times were always faster than disc.
    Now I change to a bigger HDD, 1tb, WesternDigital, and I've experimenting problems like games load slightly slower in the USB Loader, and playing Sonic Colors I notice that sometimes the music stop, then continue (like loading data slower).

I wonder if bigger HDD affects the load times, in my case the data transfer is almost unnoticeable, but it becomes bothersome when it can load the music properly.

I'm using wbfs, do you think that it could improve if I reduce the size of the partition, my actual wbfs partition is 500gb+/-, my old wbfs partition was 250gb.

Any idea is welcome, thanks =)

2. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    I dunno about wbfs, but unless you replace files like all the time (if you are developing something, for example) theres little to no reason to go with wbfs. fat32 is generally the best option.
    It may or may not solve your issue - I dont know.

Also, is it just the actual HDD you replaced, or the entire external case? If the latter, its possible your new drive spins down.

3. OriginalHamster
    OP

Chile
    No, I replace my old 500gb HDD, for a new 1tb HDD, that's why ask if bigger sized HDDs affects in data transfer rate.
    If it's just the partition being too big there's no prblem since I can manage that.

The seek times depends on the partiton size? or does depend on the whole HDD memory size?

4. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    It depends on the speed of the Drive itself. In some cases? The bigger the drive, the slower it may be. If you were to test both of your drives on the computer running software/applications off of them.. and putting things on there (music, movies) you can see for yourself what it may be.

5. Zod

Newcomer Zod Member

Romania
    I am using now 1.5 TB Western Digital Elements HDD formated NTFS and i don`t have problems.I used before that 1 Tb Western Digital Elements HDD formated FAT32 and didn`t have problems. And before that i used 500 Gb formated WBFS but for 2 or 3 times i lost WBFS partition. I recovered with WIT if i remember well. If you will format NTFS you will not have any problems included speed(mine is 5400 rot) and you can use your hdd for wii and for any other application(copy large files from your comp). For manage i use Wii Backup Manager.

6. akari212

Member akari212 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    check this:

- if you have a twin USB cable on your USB HDD, plug the main one on the bottom and the other 1 is to the extra USB port, see if it works. Larger drives had additional platters on the drive so it requires more power.
    - if you're USB HDD is external powered (not BUS powered) maybe there's a problem within the cable itself (too long? or defective cable), else maybe there's a problem with the USB HDD controller (or maybe the HDD itself). If you're in doubt, just do a HDD test using your manufacturer's HDD test (Seagate Tools will do, even if you have a non-Seagate Drive to test)

But as all I care, Wii's DVD drive had a speed of 6x (around 3mb speed I think) so even if you had the slowest drive (usb1.1 handshake) it will still work without a hitch.

7. CheatFreak47

Member CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

United States
    Yeah, i'm getting that same Sonic Colors sound issues, and massive load delay in Zelda Twilight Princess. I have a 1TB Western Digital My Passport SE HDD its portable (it has no external power.)
    occurrs on wbfs format, and ntfs format, ive notice that the delay occurrs when the drive isn't blinking (the led indicator light) so it may have somthing to do with energy save settings or other useless HDD settings. i call these instances 'loading hiccups'

8. OriginalHamster
    OP

Chile
    I've done some research and it seems it's a problem with power savings, the HDD spins down to extend HDD life. I'm about to use CrystalDiskInfo app to disable this useless feature.

9. akari212

Member akari212 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    not really, the more the HDD spins down, the higher chance it crashes. It's like in a computer, if you're not going to use your computer for a long time, shut it off, else. Just leave it on screen-saver mode.

10. CheatFreak47

United States
    how would you go about disabling it? i would like to as well. explain please?

11. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    If you are lucky, you might find find an application on the manufacturer website to turn off the spindown for your specific model.
    You could perhaps find some universal tools doing it as well.
    Spindown is a feature with 2 advantages.
    1. if the disk is usb powered by a laptop, it's battery life will last longer.
    2. the disk will live longer, as when it isn't rotating, the bearings aren't wearing out.

My WD My Passport (Usb 3.0 compatible) still spins down, even with the feature disabled using the manufacturer tool. Maybe the tool only works on a different model of the WD My Passport.

If you hold the harddisk in your hand, you can usually feel a small vibration when the disk is rotating. Sometimes the drive led changes from on to flashing, but there is no standardisation in that.

12. OriginalHamster
    OP

Chile
    I tried with a HDD utility, but it doesn't work =(

13. obcd

Belgium
    Was it a generic tool or one written specific for your harddisk?
    What is the brand and model of your harddisk?
    Is it easy to have access to the internals of the enclosure? Is there a normal pc harddisk (2.5 or 3.5 inch) with sata interface inside?

In case there is a normal sata harddisk inside, you could try another usb enclosure.

It's unclear if the spindown is a feature of the harddisk itself, or a feature of the usb2sata chipset? (Maybe both?)

14. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    Just a quick question... What IOS is your cIOS based on?
    If it's not 58/57 you won't get USB 2.0 and that might cause the slowdown.
    It's probably not that since it didn't happen with the smaller HDD but if you updated your cIOS around the same time it could be.

Either way I would recommend FAT32 or NTFS. NTFS has worked fine for me and I prefer that since I sometimes use the HDD for other things so being able to place files larger than 4GB on it comes in handy. If you're not interested in that FAT32 is probably your best bet.
    Another advantage of using a FAT32 or NTFS formatted drive is that you can have covers on the same HDD so if you bring your HDD to play at someone else's house for example, all the covers are still there and you don't have to bring the SD card as well. Plus, if you want maximum compatibility with games you can't use a SDHC card so that restricts what you can put on it, and I have a lot of roms and wiiware on my SD card, so I barely have space for any covers.

15. obcd

Belgium
    To my knowledge, cios have the usb 1.1 in the base ios replaced by a custom usb2.0 version.
    It's not identical to the official Ninty one in ios 58, but it's usb 2.0.

Ios 58 has support for usb 2.0. Ios 57, I strongly doubt.

That's new to me as well. What has game compatibility to do with using an sd or sdhc card?

I have my roms and wiiware on my harddisk, and I see no reason why I would use my sd(hc) for that?

16. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Err, that's what he said...

17. CheatFreak47

United States
    Some Wii games don't support SDHC cards, only standard SD cards. It's more convenient to store covers and such on a hard drive because the covers would take up precious space on a standard SD card, bieng that their maximum size is 2GB (I think)

18. obcd

Belgium
    Could you give an example of one.
    Besides that sd card's can be used to backup stuff from your nand, I have no knowledge of official games that use or need the sd card. (besides homebrew ones)
    I recently bought an original 'wii + dsi' sd card, and it was a 4 gig sdhc card. Wouldn't that be a bit strange if stuff dosn't work with it?

19. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

SSBB
    Guitar Hero World Tour
    Rock Band 2
    Any other games that use an SD card and came out before the 4.0 update.

20. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    are you sure that it is an sdhc card
    iirc the SD spec allows non-HC cards with 4GiB