Getting an outdated (hacked 4.2 Wii) up to par with the latest stuff

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by grcd, Dec 2, 2019.

1. grcd
    OP

grcd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    I have a Wii (PAL/EUR) on 4.2 with probably very outdated versions of Homebrew Loader/Channel; USB GX; cIOS etc.

I want to get the system up to spec. However, I only found guides on hacking the Wii from scratch. Mine has Priiloader on, and other stuff already. Do I have to update to 4.3 and start fresh using one of the guides on https://wii.guide/ ?

If not, can anyone give me some advice on how to get everything up to spec homebrew wise? My intention is to run stuff like Retroarch and other homebrew, as well as run games installed on HDD.

I already have a WBFS formatted hard drive. I heard this is no longer a good idea. Is this true? If yes, do I have to rip every game back out and reformat to FAT 32 etc?

Last edited by grcd, Dec 11, 2019 at 1:28 PM
    jeannotte likes this.
  2. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2016
    France
  3. grcd
    OP

grcd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Wow. That was fast and specific. So many thanks!!!! :D

4. jeannotte

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Kopimist and alexander1970 like this.
  5. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    I suggest backing up your data before using wbfs2fat, it has corrupted data on the odd occasion. And if you're backing it up anyway, then it might just be faster to format and copy back instead of using wbfs2fat.

Kopimist, alexander1970 and jeannotte like this.
  6. jeannotte

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,
    I used wbfs2fat, and I never had a problem

If he corrupted data, is it that games were badly copied to the hard drive or the games were bad?

Last edited by jeannotte, Dec 3, 2019
    alexander1970 likes this.
  7. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    It could just be a random glitch. I've never used wbfs2fat, I was about to at one point until I read reports of corrupted data. Certainly it's much more likely to work as advertised, but I think it's worth mentioning there's a chance it could corrupt data (no idea what the chance of that is... 1%? 10%? Certainly less than 50%)

jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  8. grcd
    OP

grcd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Unlikely as it may sound, most of these games I own and I would have to re-rip individually from discs. It is a prospect I don't hope for.

I'll update how it went!

banjo2 likes this.
  9. Cryoraptor

Cryoraptor Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I wouldn't bother updating the System Menu. That has a high chance of fucking something up. Just update the HBC and all your apps and you'll be good to go. I actually downgraded my Wii to 4.2 a few years back so that it's compatible with more older stuff if I want it.

10. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    ModMii will suggest staying on your current firmware if it is already at 4.1 or higher. And if lower than 4.1 modmii will recommend updating to 4.1 only. Of course users have the ability to choose 4.1,4.2 or 4.3 if they want to override the recommended firmware

jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
  11. grcd
    OP

grcd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Can I ask if there is an optimal setup in terms of CFWs and where to install them?

I am checking this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/

In particular this:
    [​IMG]

and I remember that in the past different cIOS had different strengths/weaknesses or abilities to play certain titles that others do not. So what is the most optimal configuration for the highest compatibility with the least amount of fuss?

12. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    On that page type "REC" and it will select the recommended CIOSs. Or just use the ModMii wizard.

All u really need is d2x v8 final with base 57 installed to slot 249, but again this will be marked for download by doing what I suggested above

grcd, jeannotte and alexander1970 like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted