Hacking Getting a Wii. Softmod or Chip?

Fathead666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wife is getting a Wii fit from her mom next week for Christmas. At this point I don't know much about the Wii and have never even played one, but I've softmodded a bunch of 360's and a few original Xbox's. I've spent the last hour or so reading through some tutorials and I'm beginning to get a grasp on the whole process and how the Wii software and hardware works.

My mother in-law just bought the Wii Fit from Best Buy a few days ago. Based on what I've read, this Wii should come out of the box as a 4.2 correct? Also, the way I understand it, at this point the 4.2u cant be softmodded. Is there a big chance the Wii will come out of the box a 4.2u? If I'm right so far and it is a 4.2u then I'm assuming a chip is the only way. But as long as it's not already a 4.2u and I don't update it to a 4.2u then I can softmod right?

Thanks in advance.

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
I've heard there are Wii drives that will not boot a backup with softmod or a chip. Hopefully I'm wrong but I would check further into that after you find out what firmware is on it first.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
most wii's come out of the box below 4.2... this will likely change once ninty sells all their xmas inventory (I just got one new that was 4.1)

and 4.2 wiis can be softmodded, in fact there is a stickied guide in the wii hacking forum by xzxero called the simplistic mod - mod any wii 4.2 and below.

so basically any wii that is not korean can be softmodded (even korean ones can too, but they need to be region changed, and there are other issues I know nothing about)

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
4.2 couldn't be softmodded for about 18 hours since it was released. Then something got released to do everything exactly the same way as before. Any Wii that you get can be softmodded.

Whether or not it has a D3-2 drive is the only thing that can limit it's potential. If it does, it can still be softmodded, but it won't be able to play backup games through dvd's at all but it CAN still play them through USB loaders.

I'm not sure if even a chip can make a Wii with a D3-2 drive read backups so either way I would suggest going with softmodding. Just make sure you know what and why you're doing what you need to do, which our guides here should help you with.

Fathead666

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick replies.

I live in a kind-of rural area so hopefully the Wii she gets will be one that's been on the shelf for awhile and doesn't have one of the newer drives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1