Hacking Homebrew Get rid of the annoying Shutter Sound with "Shut The Cam Up"!

T3hFridg3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ShutTheCamUp

Removes the camera shutter and high-pitched beep sound from the Nintendo 3DS (works on all 3ds apps that use the camera)

Github Link: https://github.com/TehFridge/ShutTheCamUp/

DISCLAIMER
I do not condone any misuses of this patch for malicious purposes or whatever.

Why tho?

Imagine you are playing your 3ds in a cafe or smt, you need to use the camera feature in some game (for example. Face Raiders) and suddenly the shutter sound bursts out of the speakers and people look at you weirdly, we wouldnt want that.

Also like... phones don't do that sort of thing (well maybe in japan, china cause there the law demands that anything with a camera has to have a shutter sound)

I mostly created this patch cause i like the vibe of vlogging with a 3ds. It has its charm you know.

How is it possible?!

The shutter sound was embedded in some system process, we just discovered it now lol. So i just decided to null the bytes with audio data, and it worked!

Does it work on Old and New 3DS?

Yup. there are two seperate patches individually for the new and old model of the console.

Attachments

• PXL_20230822_141814914.TS.mp4
    2.6 MB
  • 8mb.video-FQy-J2KNKpeu.mp4
    5.9 MB
  • VID_20230826_142140.mp4
    6 MB
Last edited by T3hFridg3,

kuro0628neko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So do you just rename the file to the proper number.ips? Because I put it in the proper directory for my N3DS and it isn't working. Unless you don't rename it?

T3hFridg3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So do you just rename the file to the proper number.ips? Because I put it in the proper directory for my N3DS and it isn't working. Unless you don't rename it?
Yes.
edit: for anyone looking on how to install this dont follow these instructions down below, follow what is on the github page
Copied from the github page:

Installation

For users that are below Luma3DS v13:

Put the .ips file like this:

Old3DS: /luma/titles/0004013000001602/code.ips

New3DS: /luma/titles/0004013020001602/code.ips

For users that are on Luma3DS v13 or higher:

Put the .ips file like this:

Old3DS: /luma/sysmodules/0004013000001602.ips

New3DS: /luma/sysmodules/0004013020001602.ips

kuro0628neko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed the instructions, but I still have a shutter sound. Just to be sure, I even tried both sets (as if I had the lower Luma version and the higher one). I have an N3DS, for context. No idea what I've done wrong :/

T3hFridg3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I followed the instructions, but I still have a shutter sound. Just to be sure, I even tried both sets (as if I had the lower Luma version and the higher one). I have an N3DS, for context. No idea what I've done wrong :/
hey can you like uhhh show me where did you put the .ips file
discord: tehfridge_temporary
Post automatically merged:

hey can you like uhhh show me where did you put the .ips file
discord: tehfridge_temporary
also make sure you enabled game patching in luma

T3hFridg3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
[Found out the problem, IT WILL STILL MAKE NOISE IF YOU HAVE YOUR ATTENTION SOUND SET FROM SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN NONE]
Yea, i would need to make an another patch just for this lol. Cause the attention sounds are in the 3ds camera app itself. More specifically - the romFS.
And the shutter sound + video recording sound are in some system process.

a_username_that_isnt_cool

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, i would need to make an another patch just for this lol. Cause the attention sounds are in the 3ds camera app itself. More specifically - the romFS.
And the shutter sound + video recording sound are in some system process.
I accidentally had it on (It wasn't making noise before because of my *corrupted SD card*) and you would imagine my surprise when this thing that I just installed that nulls out the bytes (Thought it was garbage sound/data) suddenly made it work (I actually just never took a picture after I fixed my SD card)

Reactions: T3hFridg3

T3hFridg3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I accidentally had it on (It wasn't making noise before because of my *corrupted SD card*) and you would imagine my surprise when this thing that I just installed that nulls out the bytes (Thought it was garbage sound/data) suddenly made it work (I actually just never took a picture after I fixed my SD card)
That's an interesting case of a patch suddenly fixing something it was not supposed to lmao.
Glad to help i guess.

a_username_that_isnt_cool

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's an interesting case of a patch suddenly fixing something it was not supposed to lmao.
Glad to help i guess.
The patch wasn't it, me fixing the SD card was.
It was just a coincidence that the first time I took a picture since fixing my SD card was when I installed this.

T3hFridg3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Maybe this is a stupid question, but how hard would it be to make a *custom* sound with a patch instead? Obviously nulling out the bytes is easier, but still..
Since the sounds are embedded in code.bin i could try swapping them out. But tbh i dont know if that would work
Post automatically merged:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how hard would it be to make a *custom* sound with a patch instead? Obviously nulling out the bytes is easier, but still..
yep its possible (recording by milesthecreator)

Attachments

• 20230825_173853_1.mp4
    1.5 MB

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto