Hacking Get me back on track?

ocilfa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, just registered to ask for a little help. Very fresh to the scene, so bear with my noobie understanding of how things work.

I had the intention of installing cfw on my O3DS XL 11.2 with help from 3ds.guide. I followed each step to the letter, but I ran into trouble when I started the process on the "Installing arm9loaderhax" page. My Sony 32gb(yes, a real one) died on me. Earlier in the process I had already copied all of my files on the card to my desktop. I used a new Sandisk 32gb, copied over all the files I had backed up to this card, and continued with the process. When the time came to do a "Sysnand restore(with a9lh)" it failed. After searching, I came to the conclusion that I needed certain partitions on that old sd card. !I think this is where I mucked up! I searched for options, and I saw some people were advised to update to a higher firmware and try again. I was fine with restarting the process. So I updated with Fire Emblem Awakening to 4.4(I think?) and now I get the message about how "An error has occurred: An old unsupported FIRM has been detected. Copy a firmware.bin in /luma to boot." While I could do some guesswork, I'd rather not. So that is where I am right now.

Just an FYI too, I can boot into Luma and hourglass9 just fine.

Thanks for reading, I truly appreciate any help that you can give.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, just registered to ask for a little help. Very fresh to the scene, so bear with my noobie understanding of how things work.

I had the intention of installing cfw on my O3DS XL 11.2 with help from 3ds.guide. I followed each step to the letter, but I ran into trouble when I started the process on the "Installing arm9loaderhax" page. My Sony 32gb(yes, a real one) died on me. Earlier in the process I had already copied all of my files on the card to my desktop. I used a new Sandisk 32gb, copied over all the files I had backed up to this card, and continued with the process. When the time came to do a "Sysnand restore(with a9lh)" it failed. After searching, I came to the conclusion that I needed certain partitions on that old sd card. !I think this is where I mucked up! I searched for options, and I saw some people were advised to update to a higher firmware and try again. I was fine with restarting the process. So I updated with Fire Emblem Awakening to 4.4(I think?) and now I get the message about how "An error has occurred: An old unsupported FIRM has been detected. Copy a firmware.bin in /luma to boot." While I could do some guesswork, I'd rather not. So that is where I am right now.

your files could simply be broke. why cant you just restart the guide? (DONT DO THE FIRST UPDATE STEP THOUGH, only update after you install it)

ocilfa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your files could simply be broke. why cant you just restart the guide? (DONT DO THE FIRST UPDATE STEP THOUGH, only update after you install it)
That's what I was going to do, but I can't get past this error screen that I detailed in my first post. Any clue on how to remedy that?

ocilfa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if it would work but you might be able to try 9.2 crtnand transfer.
Ok, I think I can find that. Do I do a restore(with al9h) through luma?

Edit: NVM, I found the 9.2.0 ctrstransfer guide from 3ds.guide. It's probably still relevant for my firmware(4.x)?

Last edited by ocilfa,

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
That's what I was going to do, but I can't get past this error screen that I detailed in my first post. Any clue on how to remedy that?

Look at the photo attached, it's because you're on a firm not supported by luma but doing what it says will fix this..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ok, I think I can find that. Do I do a restore(with al9h) through luma?

Edit: NVM, I found the 9.2.0 ctrstransfer guide from 3ds.guide. It's probably still relevant for my firmware(4.x)?

Do you still have your backup containing where you installed A9LH? Check if the nand backup is corrupt or not the correct file size.

Attachments

• IMG_6271.PNG
    IMG_6271.PNG
    34.3 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: ocilfa

ocilfa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at the photo attached, it's because you're on a firm not supported by luma but doing what it says will fix this..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do you still have your backup containing where you installed A9LH? Check if the nand backup is corrupt or not the correct file size.
Indeed, indeed. Looking at my NANDmin.bin(hopefully thats the right one), it is 965,632KB. A look at the other files in my files9:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 133

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Explain how the sysNAND restore failed. What exactly happened? Did you get an error, and if so which one?
There's no point in restarting the guide from the beginning, you already have A9LH installed and you just need to get back up to date. If you can't get your NAND backup to work, you can just follow https://3ds.guide/9.2.0-ctrtransfer

ocilfa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Explain how the sysNAND restore failed. What exactly happened? Did you get an error, and if so which one?
There's no sense in restarting the guide from the beginning, you already have A9LH installed. If you don't get your NAND backup to work, you can just follow https://3ds.guide/9.2.0-ctrtransfer
True, I skipped that detail. It wanted to check/verify the backup before restoring, and that is where it failed. After reaching 100%, it said it could not be verified or something like that.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
True, I skipped that detail. It wanted to check/verify the backup before restoring, and that is where it failed. After reaching 100%, it said it could not be verified or something like that.
And you had both the .bin and the .sha file on the SD card in the files9 folder? Sounds like the NAND backup or the .sha file got corrupted. You can delete the .sha file and try restoring again, which will bypass the verification, but if the NAND backup is corrupted that might just cause other problems. Still, it's worth a try.

ocilfa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And you had both the .bin and the .sha file on the SD card in the files9 folder? Sounds like the NAND backup or the .sha file got corrupted. You can delete the .sha file and try restoring again, which will bypass the verification, but if the NAND backup is corrupted that might just cause other problems. Still, it's worth a try.
Yeah, thats just like I had it. That sounds pretty quick though. Whats the worst that could happen?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah, thats just like I had it. That sounds pretty quick though. Whats the worst that could happen?
Either it works, it doesn't work at all, or you notice problems down the line. Anyway it's better than not being able to use the 3DS at all. If you notice problems down the line or it doesn't work you'll still have the option of doing a 9.2.0 ctrtransfer which will work for sure.

ocilfa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either it works, it doesn't work at all, or you notice problems down the line. Anyway it's better than not being able to use the 3DS at all. If you notice problems down the line or it doesn't work you'll still have the option of doing a 9.2.0 ctrtransfer which will work for sure.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I didn't want to mention it since I decided to accept things, but I bought Pokemon X off the eshop and had quite a save on there. I thought I just had to let it go, but doing the restore you suggested and just now booting up my game just brightened up my day. :yay: I'll just continue with the guide from here, thanks everyone!!!

Reactions: proflayton123

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head