GeoHot takes job at Facebook

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
It is maybe not quite so overt and it does not always work (corporate culture and the way many hackers like to work are not always aligned so well) but I would hardly call this a new phenomenon.

A 2005 vintage request from MS http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/04/mi..._hat_job_pitch/ for similar people.
This with bells on. It is well known that companies scout for talent for example at hacker conventions.

punkyrule

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
MS should have hired him. Then MS would have a new commercial where geohotz raps against Sony. IN YOUR FACE!
rofl.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
KingdomBlade said:
Zuckerberg, a brilliant businessman who really doesn't care about money in the slightest, even with a wealth of $13.5 Billion.
Does that mean he'd give some to me if I asked nicely?
unsure.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
Zuckerberg, a fucking brilliant businessman who really doesn't care about money in the slightest, even with a fucking wealth of $13.5 Billion.
I highly doubt that, especially looking at how he got the money he has now and the events leading up to and after the site's creation.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
KingdomBlade said:
Zuckerberg, a fucking brilliant businessman who really doesn't care about money in the slightest, even with a fucking wealth of $13.5 Billion.
I highly doubt that, especially looking at how he got the money he has now and the events leading up to and after the site's creation.

Have you watched the movie?

Everyone in it is always talking bout how he doesnt give a shit about the money.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ThatDudeWithTheFood said:
machomuu said:
KingdomBlade said:

Everyone in it is always talking bout how he doesnt give a shit about the money.
Well I'm going by the personal interview with him.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
Alright, now that he's hired at Facebook, can we somehow persuade him to remove Farmville?
I personally wish he'd make it less interesting so my friends would stop wasting every minute of their life on it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The movie, as good as it was, is a much larger exaggeration and is not the true story. They obviously stretched it here and there to make it more movie-worthy. I'm just saying that if you think Zuckerberg and the rest of the cast is exactly like their character in the movie, you'd probably be wrong.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:

The movie, as good as it was, is a much larger exaggeration and is not the true story. They obviously stretched it here and there to make it more movie-worthy. I'm just saying that if you think Zuckerberg and the rest of the cast is exactly like their character in the movie, you'd probably be wrong.
Yeah, also certain events that were more on the cunning and in some ways darker side of Zuckerburg were not in it, such as how he "stole" (depending on your PoV) the idea from 2 brothers (or twins... roommates...I don't remember too well).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Yeah, also certain events that were more on the cunning and in some ways darker side of Zuckerburg were not in it, such as how he "stole" (depending on your PoV) the idea from 2 brothers (or twins... roommates...I don't remember too well).

That was in the movie. Well, basically Zuckerburg said he didn't steal the idea or infringe on anything since he used his own code and the idea wasn't copyrighted. It was meant to be something you take one side on or the other (although they made the twins look like giant, snobby, egotistical dicks).

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shakirmoledina said:
i dont think facebook would really care for hackers considering the "owners" are not business minded (as in working just for money). Geohot must be really good to get a job at FB even after so much notoriety but in fact, this notoriety could be teh reason
On the contrary.
Facebook hosts hacking competitions fairly regularly. In fact, facebook started using a hack of Harvard's site.

Guild McCommunist said:
QUOTE(machomuu @ Jun 28 2011, 06:04 AM) Yeah, also certain events that were more on the cunning and in some ways darker side of Zuckerburg were not in it, such as how he "stole" (depending on your PoV) the idea from 2 brothers (or twins... roommates...I don't remember too well).

That was in the movie. Well, basically Zuckerburg said he didn't steal the idea or infringe on anything since he used his own code and the idea wasn't copyrighted. It was meant to be something you take one side on or the other (although they made the twins look like giant, snobby, egotistical dicks).

In defense of the film, they have made more than a few lawsuits about pretty insignificant shit, and they generally come off as pricks IRL. They're like the people who request a program to be made and then try to take credit for it. AKA fucking stupid.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
machomuu said:

Inb4 someone mentions that Zuckerburg was sued by the twins for stealing their idea, and WON.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thesolcity said:
Guild McCommunist said:
machomuu said:

Inb4 someone mentions that Zuckerburg was sued by the twins for stealing their idea, and WON.
Zuckerburg was sued by the twins for stealing their idea and won. Then again, Manfred von Karma wins all of his cases (save for 1). Don't really see what significance that holds.

Anyway, can we stop talking about this? This is about Geo, not Zucker.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo