deathking

OP
Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
Yesterday we reported on leaked court documents, filed by Sony's lawyers against Geohot (George Hotz) and fail0verflow Today, further legal docs have surfaced, exclusively to PSGroove.com. This time around, we get to see Geohot's legal response to Sony's recent accusations. These documents, which are filed by Mr. Hotz's attorney, give a multitude of legal reasons as to why Sony is not justified in their recent actions against Mr. Hotz. Stay tuned for further coverage as it unfolds.

Read more: PSGroove.com - Geohot Responds to Sony's Legal Motion http://psgroove.com/content.php?643-Geohot...n#ixzz1AspWeFvX

2 pdf files with geohotz response found here
http://www.multiupload.com/8FGW8LY291

summary of the main defenses :

II. THE TRO SHOULD NOT ISSUE AS TO MR. HOTZ BECAUSE THIS COURT
LACKS PERSONAL JURISDICTION OVER MR. HOTZ.

A. MR. HOTZ HAS NO CONNECTION OR AFFILIATION WITH THE
OTHER DEFENDANTS IN THIS SUIT.

III. SONY HAS FAILED TO DEMONSTRATE THAT A TRO WILL PREVENT
IRREPERABLE HARM SINCE A BASIS FOR ITS CLAIMS IS THAT THE
IRREPERABLE HARM SOUGHT TO BE ENJOINED HAS ALREADY BEEN
SUFFERRED.

IV. SONY HAS FAILED TO DEMONSTRATE LIKELIHOOD OF SUCCESS ON
THE MERITS BECAUSE SONY’S PLAYSTATION 3 IS NOT MERELY A
DEVICE FOR PLAYING COPY-PROTECTED VIDEO GAMES BUT
FUNCTIONS AS A MULTIMEDIA PERSONAL COMPUTER.

V. THE BALANCE OF HARDSHIPS FAVORS DEFENDANT BECAUSE
DEFENDANT FACES THE LOSS OF HARDWARE ESSENTIAL TO HIS
LIVELIHOOD IF THETRO IS GRANTED.

VI. IMPOUNDING MR. HOTZ’S COMPUTER AND OTHER MEDIA DEVICES IS
OVERBROAD, UNNECESSARY AND WOULD BE A HARDSHIP TO MR.
HOTZ.

VII. THE BURDEN SHIFTING SECTION OF THE PROPOSED ORDER TO SHOW
CAUSE IS INEQUITABLE AND THE BURDEN SHOULD REMAIN WITH THE
MOVING PARTY.

VIII. CONCLUSION
For the foregoing reasons, Sony’s Ex Parte TRO, Proposed Order of Impoundment, and
Proposed Order to Show Cause should be postponed pending a determination on personal
urisdiction over Mr. Hotz. Otherwise, Sony’s Ex Parte TRO, Proposed Order of Impoundment
and Proposed Order to Show Cause should be denied.

2 pdf files with geohotz response found here
http://www.multiupload.com/8FGW8LY291

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well looks like geohotz has the ballsy lawyers...
wink.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
monkat said:
Whoever typed that up is a horrible typist.
Seriously. I hope this isn't Sony's finest, though it wouldn't surprise me.
that is hotz attorney, which seems he didnt even bother to get a good one if his lawyer submitted this

deathking

OP
Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
i just copied and pasted the main headings of the pdfs which i linked to

my fave bit so far

Contrary to Plaintiff's depiction, Mr. Hotz is a computer prodigy, a little over 21 years of
age, that is well-known for his accomplishments in the field of iPhone development, such as for
creating the ability to unlock the phone to provide for interoperability between various cellular
network carriers. Mr. Hotz has also gained fame through his numerous accomplishments in the
Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, and provided numerous interviews on major
television networks including the Today Show, Fox, CNN, NBC, CBS, and ABC.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it wouldn't surprise me if that was sony's best either. sony probably got that letter template off the internet anyway...I mean they copy everything.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
_Chaz_ said:
monkat said:
Whoever typed that up is a horrible typist.
Seriously. I hope this isn't Sony's finest, though it wouldn't surprise me.
that is hotz attorney, which seems he didnt even bother to get a good one if his lawyer submitted this
Proves how much I could stand to read of it.

misteromar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
deathking said:

I dont know where Hotz lives but surely the fail0verflow guys are clean because they live in Europe and civil legal action taken in the US has no power over them.

Lookie401

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I chucked a bit on content III
QUOTE said:
On the face of Sony's Motion, a TRO serves no purpose in the present matter. The code necessary to "jailbreak" the Sony Playstation computer is on the internet. That cat is not going back in the bag. Indeed, Sony's own pleadings admit that the code necessary to jailbreak the Sony Playstation computer is on the internet. Sony speaks of "closing the door", but the simple fact is that there is no door to close. The code sought to be restrained will always be a Google search away.

rofl.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
misteromar said:
deathking said:

I dont know where Hotz lives but surely the fail0verflow guys are clean because they live in Europe and civil legal action taken in the US has no power over them.
thats where SCEE will come into play

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lookie401 said:
QUOTE said:
On the face of Sony's Motion, a TRO serves no purpose in the present matter. The code necessary to "jailbreak" the Sony Playstation computer is on the internet. That cat is not going back in the bag. Indeed, Sony's own pleadings admit that the code necessary to jailbreak the Sony Playstation computer is on the internet. Sony speaks of "closing the door", but the simple fact is that there is no door to close. The code sought to be restrained will always be a Google search away.

rofl.gif

my thoughts exactly. If you need $50 for a more decent attorney I would have donated, hotz :/

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Man, though I have yet to read the attached PDF files in greater detail at this time of writing, Geohot's Defense doesn't seem like a very comprehensive one. Honestly, it reminds me of an assignment from my school's Law class, complete with flimsy reasoning and lots of 'filler' content, seemingly in an attempt to compensate for its lack if basis. Of course, the same could be said for Sony's side of the lawsuit. But if Geohot has any intention of wriggling his way out of this, his defense has to be a good one. As credulous some of Sony's accusations against Geohot are, I imagine it'd definitely be easier to be in their position from a legal standpoint. After all, all they had to do is make Geohot seem like a dastardly, vile, malicious piratical fiend. And given Geohot's accomplishments and expertise, it's easy to put that sort of negative spin in him.

Lookie401 said:
QUOTE said:
rofl.gif
Oh, dear lord!

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Joe88 said:
misteromar said:
deathking said:

thats where SCEE will come into play

Isn't this SCEA suing though? If so, they're going to have to wait even longer to sue if it's SCEE who will be the cunts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: y