Homebrew Genplus gx and Sega CD

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have everything on a 2 TB HDD, running on Wii U through Wiiflow. When I launch a game, it fails to load. When I try to browse games from within the emulator, it can't find the directory. So two questions:

1. How can I make Genplus GX see my HDD?

2. How do I make Sega CD games work?

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In genplusgx load any sega cd bios rom first, then open the file browser again and select the .cue/bin format game you want and the bios will automatically detect a game and boot from there.

Last edited by lisreal2401,

realg123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry to hijack this thread. But does anyone have a link for a proper genplus gx boot.dol?

For some reason it works then it stops (click on the forwarder then it takes me back to the wii menu). Everything is setup correctly. I'm using Mastershoes' Emu Forwarder Collection 2nd Edition v14 forwarders. The snes, nes and gameboy color work. But I always have issues with the sega genesis emulator

sindrik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In genplusgx load any sega cd bios rom first, then open the file browser again and select the .cue/bin format game you want and the bios will automatically detect a game and boot from there.
No need to. Just point the emu to the correct bios files in the config section (jap / us / eur), after that every SegaCD game will load without problems.

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Taken from WiiBrew:

Mega CD emulation
1) Original BIOS ROM files are required (one for each region): unzip & rename them to bios_CD_U.bin, bios_CD_E.bin, bios_CD_J.bin in /genplus/bios/ directory

2) When using ISO image files, WAV or OGG files should be provided as AUDIO track files. You can either load a CUE file pointing to a specific ISO file and containing all the needed information about AUDIO tracks files or directly load the ISO file. In the latter case, the emulator will first look for a .CUE file with the same base name, then if no CUE file is found, it will automatically look for .WAV or .OGG files respecting one of the following naming format (“XXX” being the .ISO filename, NN being the track number and “yyy” being either .wav or .ogg extension): “XXXNN.yyy”, “XXX NN.yyy”, “XXX-NN.yyy”, “XXX - NN.yyy” or “XXX_NN.yyy”. Please note that other compressed audio files (such as .mp3, .mpc, .wma, etc) are NOT supported and audio tracks should be using 16-bit stereo 44100Hz format.

3) When using BIN images files, audio tracks are generally stored within the image file. A CUE file is therefore required with all the needed information about audio tracks location. You can either load the CUE file pointing to the specific BIN file or directly load the .BIN file. In the latter case, the emulator will automatically look for a CUE file with the same base name as the BIN file.

ngs428

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to hijack this thread. But does anyone have a link for a proper genplus gx boot.dol?

For some reason it works then it stops (click on the forwarder then it takes me back to the wii menu). Everything is setup correctly. I'm using Mastershoes' Emu Forwarder Collection 2nd Edition v14 forwarders. The snes, nes and gameboy color work. But I always have issues with the sega genesis emulator

Boot.dol is at: https://github.com/ekeeke/Genesis-Plus-GX/tree/master/builds

Andrew Meaney

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im having some difficulty loading the .cue file. It seems its found the .bin file, but when I load the .cue file, I just get a black screen. No errors or nothing. Just the screen.

Any help?

Last edited by Andrew Meaney,

Sticksandstones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Andrew Meaney, by loading the .cue file, you're telling your emulator that your .cue file has the game's actual data and to go run it. That's why you're getting a black screen.
Instead, load the .bin file, and make sure that the .cue file has exactly the same filename as the .bin file (except its extension, obviously). Try that.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Loading .cue file is supported by the emulator (as written in the user manual abstract quoted some posts above), you just need to check that it is a valid one.

Basically, a cue file is just a text file indicating the location of the bin file and describing where each CD tracks are located within the bin file. So you need to verify first if the bin file specified in your cue file exists and the indicated path corresponds to where it is located on your Wii.

Andrew Meaney

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Andrew Meaney, by loading the .cue file, you're telling your emulator that your .cue file has the game's actual data and to go run it. That's why you're getting a black screen.
Instead, load the .bin file, and make sure that the .cue file has exactly the same filename as the .bin file (except its extension, obviously). Try that.

No luck on loading the .bin file. (Not the one I have anyway) says " File is too large, press "A" to continue.

USB directory is as follows

.bin files
USB:/genplus/bios/bios_CD_U.bin

.cue files
USB:/genplus/roms/WWF Rage in the Cage.cue

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
No luck on loading the .bin file. (Not the one I have anyway) says " File is too large, press "A" to continue.

USB directory is as follows

.bin files
USB:/genplus/bios/bios_CD_U.bin

.cue files
USB:/genplus/roms/WWF Rage in the Cage.cue

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Open the .cue file in a text editor and paste the info inside it here.

The .bin file you posted is a BIOS rom, not the game itself. What is the name / size of the game .bin file you are trying to load ?

From the genplus-gx FAQ, this error message occurs if the file you are loading is not a "valid Sega CD image" (not sure what that means).

d8thstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need similar help please. I select sega cd from the source menu and it wants me to select a partition. I select usb1 as that is where all my sega cd games are but it just goes to the same select partition screen.

I have my sega cd games in usb:/segacd and the ini file points to that.

Can someone post an ini that successfully reads from your usb for sega cd?

FYI, my emu is on my sd card, games are in usb, does that make a difference?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I need similar help please. I select sega cd from the source menu and it wants me to select a partition. I select usb1 as that is where all my sega cd games are but it just goes to the same select partition screen.

I have my sega cd games in usb:/segacd and the ini file points to that.

Can someone post an ini that successfully reads from your usb for sega cd?

FYI, my emu is on my sd card, games are in usb, does that make a difference?

Are you sure you are really using the GX version and not the Retroarch version?

AFAIK, that emulator has no menu that let you select a partition and the .ini file is not manually editable: the first time, it browses by default starting at the root of the currently selected device (either sd:/ or usb:/) then saves the last accessed path for each game types (cd, genesis, master system, etc).

You can select the device to load games from in emulator settings, it's sd by default if you have a sdcard inserted but can be switched to usb.

Last edited by Jacobeian,

d8thstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry, should have ben more clear.

it's not the emu asking for a partition, it is WiiFlow. I have all of my other emu's setup within WiiFlow. each emu has an ini file that I edit to point to RO and borax directories. all of my other emu's are set up on the SD, this is my first try at getting something to run off of USB.

so, for other emu's, after editing the ini and selecting the emu, WiiFlow asks for the partition, I have always selected SD.

with segaCD, the ini is set up to look in usb:/segacd yet when I select it in WiiFlow, it still asks for a partition

d8thstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, not sure what I did exactly but sega cd games are now playable! i do have some small issues but i believe them to be wiiflow related so i am going to start a new topic

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)