Homebrew GeneriDex | Pokédex mediocrity.

saviorkross

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GeneriDex

This is a homebrew containing all 493 pokemon from GenIV and below. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

scrnshot1i.png
scrnshot2.png
scrnshot3o.png

Status update as of 4-16-11
  • Back to work once more. The data portion of the skills and locations is put in. Now I just need to do the graphical side of it; such as it appearing on the map. With luck, the rest is just a matter of programming simple things and making everything aesthetically appealing. I suppose I should add the 5th generation in as well, lol.

Download:
You'll need winRAR to extract it.
Code:
Change log (v0.2):
-Addition of 'Name That Pokemon' and 'Name That Cry'
-A few aesthetic changes
-Fixed a few descriptions
-Removal of redundant files

Known bugs/oddities:
-Some pokemon abilities are listed twice.
-It's possible to get the same name multiple times in the list of answers. This is a problem if the multiples are the pokemon you're guessing.
-Version still reads as '0.1'.
-Slowpoke apparently evolves into Jumpluff instead of Slowking
-Slowking is replaced by Sunkern in the evo u_u

• Up - Scroll Up
  • Down - Scroll Down
  • Left - Scroll up by 10
  • Right - Scroll Down by 10
  • X - Pokemon Cry
  • L & R - Cycle through alt. forms.
  • Touchscreen/Stylus for pretty much everything else including clicking on a pokemon in the list.

• Moves and Loc aren't implemented yet. I definitely want to do it via a map, but it seems like a bit of a shitstorm to be honest.
  • There's well over 23,000 individual pieces of information regarding the pokemon. I'd be willing to bet I've screwed up quite a bit Feel free to message me/post regarding this.
  • The unown forms can be seen via pressing 'L' or 'R' at their main sprite screen.
  • Alternate forms will adjust the stats and such accordingly.
  • IVs range from 0-31; EVs range from 0-255; Nature can be negative(-), neutral(o) or positive(+); Level ranges form 1-100. More on this here.
  • Mr. Mime and Mime Jr. both need spaces and periods for the minigames. The male and female symbol will put (m) and (f), respectively, onto the end.
  • With that being said, I uploaded v0.2, sans the search functionality. Easy mode for the mini-games provides you with 6 names, one being the correct pokemon. Hard mode has you input the name yourself.

• mark2512 | His post pertaining to loading bgs via fat.
  • Serebii.net | Various references.
  • Bulbapedia | Various references.
  • legendarypokemon.net | Their database collection.
  • Veekun | A wonderful collection of information.
  • Pokefans.net | The main sprites.
  • The PALIB community | Searching through past posts helped quite a bit.
  • fincs | Helping get me started with EFS and his other work on PALib.
  • Dr.Killa | Mini-game suggestions
  • Nintendo and Game Freak | For this wonderfully addictive series. Show your thanks by buying the games; they're worth it.
  • All of you. | For using it.
    tongue.gif
  • And many others I'm probably forgetting.
Cheers,
Anthony

Reactions: gatekeeper1122

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Awesome! Reminds me of my project a while ago, lost it tho.
I'm wondering, what did you use to store all the info in? I ended up using XML, but with a shitload of pokémon, it was to slow.

saviorkross

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wabsta said:
I'm wondering, what did you use to store all the info in? I ended up using XML, but with a shitload of pokémon, it was to slow.

A rather large multi-dimensional char array. It was something like 531x41. Certainly not the best way to go about it as it eats a good bit of the ram, but it worked out nonetheless.

//edit

As of summer '10, I switched to 500 or so txt files, and bundle them all in 1 file. Then I just read from it by offsets.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
saviorkross said:
wabsta said:

A rather large multi-dimensional char array. It was something like 531x41. Certainly not the best way to go about it as it eats a good bit of the ram, but it worked out nonetheless.
Aaah, yea, tried that too, but I wasn't really fond of having all the data in the actual code.
Anyway, I'm gonna try it out in a few hours and leave some feedback
wink.gif

saviorkross

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the support, and I'm looking into the problem now. That's what I get for testing it on an outdated flashcart(R4). Now to find my Acekard. e_e

jurassicplayer said:
Omg! For 5 posts you are one wicked ass person xD. It sounds like Benjifs has a new competitor.

I'm not really into the whole competition thing.
tongue.gif
I enjoy his project, and will certainly have room for it when it comes out. The more pokémon homebrew the merrier!

//edit//
It seems the one without the cries is working on AKAIO 1.6RC2. ASlib, which is what I use to load sounds doesn't seem to be compatible with Acekard at the moment, so I'm off to look for a fix for it. I'll update the first telling people with Acekard to use the one without the cries for now.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HAHA, I was JUST wondering if there was one of these not two days ago. Though my main want for one is so I can look up moves and HMs and get a list of pokemon that can learn them when I don't have bulbapedia available.

Also a weakness chart maybe?

Cryoburner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
saviorkross said:
It seems the one without the cries is working on AKAIO 1.6RC2. ASlib, which is what I use to load sounds doesn't seem to be compatible with Acekard at the moment, so I'm off to look for a fix for it. I'll update the first telling people with Acekard to use the one without the cries for now.

Yes, I think that is the problem. The AKAIO release candidates recently added homebrew soft-reset, which isn't compatible with some other programs as well. I mentioned in the AKAIO release thread that Morning Timer wasn't working either. If you want these programs to work with AKAIO 1.6 RC2, try disabling soft-reset for the time being. I imagine they'll likely have that fixed or provide a workaround by the time 1.6 Final is released.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this looks absolutely stunning. I can't believe you made something like this!
Cheers!

saviorkross

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem should be fixed now. I switched over to MaxMod instead of using ASlib.

Cry version tested and seems to be working on original R4 with YSM09.12.05 and Acekard 2.1 with AKAIO 1.6RC2.

AnalogMan said:
HAHA, I was JUST wondering if there was one of these not two days ago. Though my main want for one is so I can look up moves and HMs and get a list of pokemon that can learn them when I don't have bulbapedia available.

Also a weakness chart maybe?

A weakness chart could be quite useful. I'll look into it. ^ As for the moves...eventually.
yaywii.gif

basher11 said:
damn thats a smexy pokedex.
nice job!
ps. i see some pkm mystery dungeon pics XD
QUOTE(_Chaz_ @ Mar 28 2010, 09:27 PM)
Wow, this looks absolutely stunning. I can't believe you made something like this!
Cheers!

Why thank you.
smile.gif

xFinch713x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All moves, location, and I believe weaknesses and such can be found on Serebii. Only problem really would be going through and getting the data for each.. would take forever.

dukemagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
brilliant!

since my DS is a crimson version, maybe i could scare my younger bro saying it is a pokedex v2.0, just like the anime one.

maybe it can be useful someday...

saviorkross

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the support.
smile.gif

dukemagus said:
brilliant!

since my DS is a crimson version, maybe i could scare my younger bro saying it is a pokedex v2.0, just like the anime one.

maybe it can be useful someday...

April fools day is tomorrow. Perhaps that'll be the day
tongue.gif

QUOTE(Dr.Killa @ Mar 29 2010, 06:44 AM) you should add minigames like "whos that pokemon" and "guess that cry"
Yes, and yes. ^
whodat.png
whodere.png

I'll release the next version including the little minigames once I put in some sort of search function. That'll probably be the last release until I figure out a presentable way to do moves and locations.

gbasp.gif

//edit//
Does anyone prefer the cryless version over the one with cries? I was just wondering if I should keep up support for it. I mean, it's not a /whole/ lot of work changing from one to the other, but it might not be worth it for a 4MB difference.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."