Homebrew GeneriDex | Pokédex mediocrity.

5%

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nice. I think a different font would better suit this & the background + colour needs a revamp IMO but overall good job

Da Mafia

Trophies
XP
Country
I thought about doing something like this recently for my phone, but I have no programming experience so I don't really know where to start.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Being an avid supporter of both homebrew and Pokémon, I'll provide some info you might need, which I acquired through Benjifs PokéDexterDS.
For an IV calculator:
The IV-Calculation Formula would be:
{[(Stat / Nature) - 5] * 100 / Level} - 2 * base stat - Evs / 4
This was taken of Yahoo! Answers website, but I think an IV calculator is an essential part for the "BrewDex"

And if you're extremely creative, you could make "Who's that Pokémon?" riddles. Essentially, a word riddle is generated perhaps daily, instead of JUST seeing the silhouette of the Pokémon. I'm not the best riddle-writer myself (I'm too verbal...), but it seems like something fun that could be added. You wouldn't exactly need many riddles per Pokémon, either; about 1 for every Pokémon would be enough.

A redesign that'd make it look more like a PokéDex actually sounds kind of right, according to others. The blueness is cool, but sticking to the theme of Pokémon would be something enjoyable.

Other than that... I love it!
gbasp.gif

xFinch713x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the location, you could get all the locations off of Serebii or another Pokemon database and then match up those locations within the map. Rather than each pokemon, maybe have it if route 39 isin %location (or whatever) { highlight route 39 }

idk how to explain perfectly, but i think that might be the best way, rather than individual locations. I don't think the cries are necessary either. I downloaded that version, but still have yet to actually listen to a cry
tongue.gif

saviorkross

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Da Mafia said:
I thought about doing something like this recently for my phone, but I have no programming experience so I don't really know where to start.
Learning C would probably be a decent way to start as it can be adapted to almost anything.
smile.gif

xFinch713x said:
Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't care for the cries.
tongue.gif
I have all the data in a fairly usable format already, I just have to decide how to adapt it all.

QUOTE(Ace Faith @ Mar 31 2010, 10:37 PM)
I'll add the IV calculator to my 'to-do' list. As for the looks of it all, I completely agree it needs redone. I'm in no way graphically gifted, lol. Ideally, I'd love to have everything skinnable so some of the community could perhaps provide something more suitable. Perhaps in a later version. You'll just have to deal with my 2-minute photoshop gradient spam for now.
evil.gif

With that being said, I uploaded v0.2, sans the search functionality. Easy mode for the mini-games provides you with 6 names, one being the correct pokémon. Hard mode has you input the name yourself. Bless you if you get a decent streak for the cry guessing mini-game.

As I originally said in the first post, these few early versions were to see what kind of feedback there'd be and get a few things worked out bug-wise. It went pretty well overall I think; considering I'm winging it as I go.
rofl2.gif
When I release 1.0 I'll hopefully have a few things crossed off of my to-do list.

Possible to-do list
-Moves and locations implemented. As for which game(s), I'm not yet sure
-IV calculator
-Search functionality
-Pokémon comparison
-Type match-ups
-Skinnable
hate2.gif

One step at a time.

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Damn I love this!
It's a really nice piece of work, and very useful!

It's now my fourth favorite piece of homebrew, behind MoonShell, VNDS and Bunjalloo.

D

Deleted-236924

I think the UI is alright as it is; it's almost the same as the Pokédex in HG/SS except in blue.

I think you should keep the cries in — you're gonna have them in for the minigame anyway.

MetaKnightmareX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried it out last night, really great app! I definately prefer yours than the other DS Pokedex, well minus GUI for now.

It might be asking for too much, but for the Descriptions, would it be possible to add a sprite for each of those? Like if you go to the RB desc, you see the RB sprite for that poke, green gives the green sprite, etc. The cries plus different sprites would be a rush of nostalgia in my opinion.

Keep up the good work!
yaynds.gif

saviorkross

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MetaKnightmareX said:
Just tried it out last night, really great app! I definately prefer yours than the other DS Pokedex, well minus GUI for now.

It might be asking for too much, but for the Descriptions, would it be possible to add a sprite for each of those? Like if you go to the RB desc, you see the RB sprite for that poke, green gives the green sprite, etc. The cries plus different sprites would be a rush of nostalgia in my opinion.

Keep up the good work!
yaynds.gif

I had it this way originally, including animations for Crystal and front/back sprites from all games, but loading from the file-system was awfully slow. If I can work out a way to search through it faster, then maybe someday. But for now, it's a bit out of my programming league.
tongue.gif

coolness said:
QUOTE(girugamarc @ Mar 28 2010, 04:04 PM) great app

Not working on my Acekard though. I use AKAIO 1.6RC2. I even DLDI patched it and it didn't work.

also by me
version 02 also not works

What happens when you turn it on? Black/white screens, a message about it not initializing FAT/EFS, etc? I have it working on my Acekard 2.1 with AKAIO 1.6R2, so it's interesting that yours isn't working. Do you happen to know which version yours is and if it's a clone? Anyone else having any troubles?

On a side note, this Wood R4 firmware looks interesting, so I suppose I should see how it runs with it. I'll edit this with my results.
//edit//
Seems to be working alright with Wood R4 v1.05 on an original R4.

Thanks for the continued support.
gbasp.gif

MetaKnightmareX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, it's understandable, I'm still amazed how well done this is! Sadly my programming knowledge is only a little Java and some hex, but I'm still an amateur.

I should note that I am running on Wood R4 1.04 on an Original R4.

I have only had one freeze, but that's because I skimmed through every pokemon quickly hearing their cries XD

D

Deleted-236924

I had that FAT/EFS problem the first time I tried loading v2, but I tried again and it worked.

dukemagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
sorry for the bump, but it looks like there were another pokedex project going on and it was stopped

soooo, could you update this one? is one of the best database/knowledge base homebrew created for DS

saviorkross

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dukemagus said:
sorry for the bump, but it looks like there were another pokedex project going on and it was stopped

soooo, could you update this one? is one of the best database/knowledge base homebrew created for DS

I'm kind of sad to see the other project was ended so abruptly. As for the update, I've been working on and off on it since my last release. All I can say as far as a timeframe goes is hopefully sooner than later.
blush.gif

saviorkross

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tombstoner said:
Is anybody else having problems with the download link? I really want to try this
dry.gif

Yeah, just checked and it kept giving off an error. Sorry about that. I reuploaded it and it seems to be working now.

Link

Gaboros

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
This is amazing!
yaynds.gif

Thank you very much for this program! I just can't wait for the update. Keep up your good work.
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: though if it s important to go online for a game I would much rather buy it