Generic System Files Corrupted Error - Priiloader not installed

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by HawtDawg, Apr 24, 2012.

1. HawtDawg
    OP

Newcomer HawtDawg Member

United States
    This happened to me a while back (around a year ago) and I decided to revisit the problem today.

This case is interesting. I can turn on my wii and hang around on the Wii Menu for a minute or so, then the error occurs. If I go into settings or any of the channels, the error occurs immediately.

Basically, I'm content with reformatting my whole Wii to fix this problem, however, I'm not sure how I would go about doing that in this situation. In a thread I posted about a year ago, people had told me I was out of luck considering I do not have priiloader installed (but I do have Homebrew installed wtih many utilities and apps).

I was mainly wondering, if there have been any advances or ways to reformat the Wii and override the startup and boot to Homebrew without priiloader, or a way to simply wipe my Wii's data/reformat with a sort of tool (CD, SDCard app?).

Or am I just screwed?

Much thanks,
    HawtDawg.

2. LWares87

Member LWares87 The 'Wise' Merchant

United Kingdom
    Have you got the files to run BootMii? If not download them using ModMii (page 2), don't forget to download BannerBomb v2 (as you'll need it). Also... have you got an old nand backup (nand.bin) with key.bin? As you'll need that, as well.

You'll need to download giantpune's nand tools to create a new nand from scratch.

Here's the link, that you'll need.

Edit: download the required DLLs, nandBinCheck and ohneschwanzenegger.

Extract them into the same folder (let's call it "nand tools").
    Then open ohneschwanzenegger.
    Select Nand Dump and then New Nand.
    A dialog will appear, click from old nand and select your nand, name the new nand as nand, then click ok.
    Wait for a moment, whilst it creates the new nand.
    In the top box enter 4.2 and the letter region you which to download (e for europe, u for usa, j for japan and k for korea).
    Wait, whilst it downloads the files from the NUS servers to build your nand.
    A dialog will appear, change the serial number shown to the one shown on the base of your console, then click ok.
    Close ohneschwanzenegger.
    Run nandBinCheck to check for any errors (you'll need to create a ".bat" file using Notepad to run it properly).
    Code:
    @echo off
    nandBinCheck.exe nand.bin -all -nocolor
    echo.
    pause
    Afterwards move the new nand you've created and keys.bin to the root of your sd card.
    Boot your console and run the bootmii nand restore tool.
    After it has restored, go to the wii menu and it will be good as new.

3. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    Can you run a game normally? Have you tried leaving the console running a game the whole night?

Can you access HBC? If so, do a NAND Backup as fast as you can by using the latest Homebrew Channel, and while you do the NAND backup process check for bad blocks in NAND (black dots). If you're lucky enough you should have 3 or 4 bad blocks (hopefully NOT in the first 8 blocks of teh NAND map, this would mess things for you).

If you can install bootmii as boot2 then do it!!

edit: don't do anything the dude above suggested yet! make sure what's your root problem first or a nice brick would say hi!

edit2: don't dare to touch NAND yet.

4. LWares87

United Kingdom
    Well... I've typed it now and it's there, if you need it at all.

5. HawtDawg
    OP

Newcomer HawtDawg Member

United States
    I actually do not have an old nand backup, in fact, I'm not even sure what a "nand" is, exactly. Could I get an old nand backup from somewhere or was it something I would have gotten from my Wii before it got all messed up?

6. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    boot the wii in maintenance mode. Hold + - at the health screen, press A while holding + -. Can you load HBC, settings, disc games, channels? If so backup any special savegames and do a system format form the wii settings, or do delete all from HBC via neogamma with pink fish disc on wbfs. Or load HBC and make a new nand backup with bootmii.

7. HawtDawg
    OP

Newcomer HawtDawg Member

United States
    ....... Everywhere I looked, and even in the thread I posted on here about a year ago, NOBODY mentioned that there was a "Maintenance Mode" on the Wii... Thank you very much. Everything loads in maintenance mode and works perfectly. I will try System Reformatting my Wii. Again, thank you very much.

If I reformat my Wii, I assume I would have to re-download any Wii system updates, correct?

8. elricorico

Newcomer elricorico Member

Canada
    This looks exactly like the issue I had with a used Wii I purchased. I wouldn't reformat, that caused me further issues. I would suggest trying the "det1re mailbox fix". If you google what I have in quotes you should be able to find the files/instructions. I don't remember where exactly I found it but it worked for me, and I had the exact same issues.

9. mauifrog

United States
    Or this

10. HawtDawg
    OP

Newcomer HawtDawg Member

United States
    LOL. Well, I did everything in that quote and when I had restarted my Wii, it loaded up the Wii Menu for like half a second and then froze and kept beeping. Afterwards, it would just go to a black screen and hang there forever. I guess I'll do the reformat method then.

11. LWares87

United Kingdom
    You're better off using the method which I posted yesterday, than just formatting. As it won't make much of a difference and could possibly make things worse.

12. HawtDawg
    OP

Newcomer HawtDawg Member

United States
    So, when it said:

2. Navigate to shared2/wc24/ and replace any file with the one from SD by pressing PLUS.

3. Navigate to shared2/wc24/mbox/ and do the same there.

I actually replaced EVERY file in those folders by pressing PLUS. Would that make a difference at all?

Actually, I think that messed up my WiiConnect24, considering when I try to do a connection test it says there's a problem with WiiConnect24, lol.

Will using the nand restore tool restore what i did to the wc24 folder?

13. mauifrog

United States
    Install priloader and do a system format.

14. Coto

Chile
    install priiloader, do a NAND backup and check for possibly bad blocks. If this issue was caused by a corrupted block, you may turn your wii into a nice "lego" a.k.a brickwall.

15. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    installing priiloader may turn your wii into a nice brick.

1 person likes this.
  16. mauifrog

United States
    It could but there are many cases like these where they format, then things get worse and maintenance mode no longer works. It is better to install priiloader. I have not heard of a single brick on v0.7, so the op really should install it in case things go south.

17. HawtDawg
    OP

Newcomer HawtDawg Member

United States
    I installed priiloader earlier today and my system is still (somewhat) functional. I was planning on reformatting, but I guess that's not the route I should take at the moment?

18. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    just try terminators meathod. if that doesn't work ahh someone help this guy out

19. mauifrog

United States
    You should go to the wii settings and do a system format.

20. Coto

Chile
    before anything DO A DAMN NAND DUMP USING BOOTMII..! Now you have priiloader you can even restore it in case of brick!