Hacking Generic System Files Corrupted Error - Priiloader not installed

HawtDawg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happened to me a while back (around a year ago) and I decided to revisit the problem today.

This case is interesting. I can turn on my wii and hang around on the Wii Menu for a minute or so, then the error occurs. If I go into settings or any of the channels, the error occurs immediately.

Basically, I'm content with reformatting my whole Wii to fix this problem, however, I'm not sure how I would go about doing that in this situation. In a thread I posted about a year ago, people had told me I was out of luck considering I do not have priiloader installed (but I do have Homebrew installed wtih many utilities and apps).

I was mainly wondering, if there have been any advances or ways to reformat the Wii and override the startup and boot to Homebrew without priiloader, or a way to simply wipe my Wii's data/reformat with a sort of tool (CD, SDCard app?).

Or am I just screwed?

Much thanks,
HawtDawg.

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you got the files to run BootMii? If not download them using ModMii (page 2), don't forget to download BannerBomb v2 (as you'll need it). Also... have you got an old nand backup (nand.bin) with key.bin? As you'll need that, as well.

You'll need to download giantpune's nand tools to create a new nand from scratch.

Here's the link, that you'll need.

Edit: download the required DLLs, nandBinCheck and ohneschwanzenegger.

Extract them into the same folder (let's call it "nand tools").
Then open ohneschwanzenegger.
Select Nand Dump and then New Nand.
A dialog will appear, click from old nand and select your nand, name the new nand as nand, then click ok.
Wait for a moment, whilst it creates the new nand.
In the top box enter 4.2 and the letter region you which to download (e for europe, u for usa, j for japan and k for korea).
Wait, whilst it downloads the files from the NUS servers to build your nand.
A dialog will appear, change the serial number shown to the one shown on the base of your console, then click ok.
Close ohneschwanzenegger.
Run nandBinCheck to check for any errors (you'll need to create a ".bat" file using Notepad to run it properly).
Code:
@echo off
nandBinCheck.exe nand.bin -all -nocolor
echo.
pause
Afterwards move the new nand you've created and keys.bin to the root of your sd card.
Boot your console and run the bootmii nand restore tool.
After it has restored, go to the wii menu and it will be good as new.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Can you run a game normally? Have you tried leaving the console running a game the whole night?

Can you access HBC? If so, do a NAND Backup as fast as you can by using the latest Homebrew Channel, and while you do the NAND backup process check for bad blocks in NAND (black dots). If you're lucky enough you should have 3 or 4 bad blocks (hopefully NOT in the first 8 blocks of teh NAND map, this would mess things for you).

If you can install bootmii as boot2 then do it!!

edit: don't do anything the dude above suggested yet! make sure what's your root problem first or a nice brick would say hi!

edit2: don't dare to touch NAND yet.

HawtDawg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also... have you got an old nand backup (nand.bin) with key.bin?

I actually do not have an old nand backup, in fact, I'm not even sure what a "nand" is, exactly. Could I get an old nand backup from somewhere or was it something I would have gotten from my Wii before it got all messed up?

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
boot the wii in maintenance mode. Hold + - at the health screen, press A while holding + -. Can you load HBC, settings, disc games, channels? If so backup any special savegames and do a system format form the wii settings, or do delete all from HBC via neogamma with pink fish disc on wbfs. Or load HBC and make a new nand backup with bootmii.

HawtDawg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boot the wii in maintenance mode. Hold + - at the health screen, press A while holding + -. Can you load HBC, settings, disc games, channels? If so backup any special savegames and do a system format form the wii settings, or do delete all from HBC via neogamma with pink fish disc on wbfs. Or load HBC and make a new nand backup with bootmii.

....... Everywhere I looked, and even in the thread I posted on here about a year ago, NOBODY mentioned that there was a "Maintenance Mode" on the Wii... Thank you very much. Everything loads in maintenance mode and works perfectly. I will try System Reformatting my Wii. Again, thank you very much.

If I reformat my Wii, I assume I would have to re-download any Wii system updates, correct?

elricorico

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This looks exactly like the issue I had with a used Wii I purchased. I wouldn't reformat, that caused me further issues. I would suggest trying the "det1re mailbox fix". If you google what I have in quotes you should be able to find the files/instructions. I don't remember where exactly I found it but it worked for me, and I had the exact same issues.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Or this

mauifrog;650923 said:
mailbrick_fix.zip download - 2shared
MailBrick Fix

Symptoms-
System boots to a "System files are corrupt" or similar error after pressing A at the Health/Safety Screen.
Wii boots to maintenance mode when hold + - at the health/safety screen and then pressing A while holding + -

Fix-
Boot the wii into maintenance mode, hold + - at the health/safety screen and press A while holding + -
Load the Homebrew channel. If you do not have it, install it via exploit of your choice

Have a Nand backup or your nand keys. This is not optional, if you do not have a bootmii nand backup or your
nand keys you must make one now.
-Make nand backup or keys. Load HBC, press [HOME], select bootmii. Now either make a full nand backup, or dump your nand keys. To dump your nand keys only run key.bin_maker.elf from the sd loader in bootmii, this will quickly dump back to HBC and create sd:\key.bin

Fix mailbrick with fstoolbox
1. Load fstoolbox from HBC and select ios236 to load. Or other cios of your choice with es-identify

2. Navigate to shared2/wc24/ and replace any file with the one from SD by pressing PLUS.

3. Navigate to shared2/wc24/mbox/ and do the same there.

4. End the app and restart the Wii. You will get a message that your Mail account is broken
and will be restored.

If this fails, go back to maintenance mode, backup any data you like to keep. Install priiloader if you do
not have it installed, and do a system format from the wii settings menu.

HawtDawg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL. Well, I did everything in that quote and when I had restarted my Wii, it loaded up the Wii Menu for like half a second and then froze and kept beeping. Afterwards, it would just go to a black screen and hang there forever. I guess I'll do the reformat method then.

HawtDawg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, when it said:

2. Navigate to shared2/wc24/ and replace any file with the one from SD by pressing PLUS.

3. Navigate to shared2/wc24/mbox/ and do the same there.

I actually replaced EVERY file in those folders by pressing PLUS. Would that make a difference at all?

Actually, I think that messed up my WiiConnect24, considering when I try to do a connection test it says there's a problem with WiiConnect24, lol.

Will using the nand restore tool restore what i did to the wc24 folder?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
install priiloader, do a NAND backup and check for possibly bad blocks. If this issue was caused by a corrupted block, you may turn your wii into a nice "lego" a.k.a brickwall.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
installing priiloader may turn your wii into a nice brick.
It could but there are many cases like these where they format, then things get worse and maintenance mode no longer works. It is better to install priiloader. I have not heard of a single brick on v0.7, so the op really should install it in case things go south.

HawtDawg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed priiloader earlier today and my system is still (somewhat) functional. I was planning on reformatting, but I guess that's not the route I should take at the moment?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
before anything DO A DAMN NAND DUMP USING BOOTMII..! Now you have priiloader you can even restore it in case of brick!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte