Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Gemei Tech A330 Review
Official GBATemp Review
00_gemei_mps_a330_review_header-b.png

Following many hours of research, rewrites, and testing I am proud to offer a review of the Gemei Tech A330 handheld. The device is very similar to the Dingoo products, features multimedia aspects, and out-of-the-box “retro” emulation. Due in part to system similarities, the GA330 has been compared to the Dingoo products, I will not say anything more about how it stacks up here, you will have to read the review!

I would be happy to answer any questions about the GA330, please ask your questions here and not in the review thread.

A very special thanks to Etronixmart for providing the review sample.
A very special thanks to KellyRoseMusic for making the 2-player wireless video, a review stipulation of Etronixmart.

Important GBATemp Information:
GBATemp has recently opened all reviews for user comments. Please remember that the comments must adhere to our strict guidelines. Do not post congratulatory comments, comments speculative in nature, negative comments, or the like, that have nothing to do with the review or the review’s content. Such comments will be deleted without warning or explanation. Users should consider only posting well researched comments that further the overall effect of the review and nothing more.

icon11.gif
 Gemei Tech A330 Review

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the review has been locked for now. as i already asked in the first post, please post your questions here and not in the review thread. asking questions such as "what do you speculate will be the future of the emulators" or "has something been coded to allow the dingoo emus to work on the ga330" clearly demonstrates that you can not follow a simple request and that you probably did not read the review.

the review comments should be limited to news, information, and the like that help to better the review after it is outdated, etc. make sense?

i will unlock the review in the next few days.

thank you,
-another world

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
according to the gameplay, it works somehow but i guess newer versions will be required as i have read except about the common display issue tht was expected ( i saw video review about the prev version with the same issue, its a cheap device, we wont have OLED)
i like the wifi 2 player server client concept and it seems almost all the text is in english except a few unnecessary parts BUT i think gba should have wifi included. we will have to see if it will work later on

its not a bad price though for it and possibly wifi is enough of a reason to buy it
i bet the new dingoo would pass this with dingux support

hehe it would seem the topic post's idea about questioning has put ppl in a very uneasy situation

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
deathking said:
Does the text to speech still read numbers in Chinese ?

yes it does. like i said in the review the software is nothing new here. it has all the same issues. the case on the other hand is much better. i hope dingux gets ported, and once all that homebrew is available this will be the "dingoo" to own.

-another world

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read the review completely. Was still curious. With any new portable system, my main concern tends to be SNES emulation. Feel free to do what you want with this comment, my account, or whatever else you feel the urge, but a simple question speculating the practical use of a system is just fine. I don't care if you did want it asked or not.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
GreatCrippler said:
Read the review completely. Was still curious. With any new portable system, my main concern tends to be SNES emulation. Feel free to do what you want with this comment, my account, or whatever else you feel the urge, but a simple question speculating the practical use of a system is just fine. I don't care if you did want it asked or not.

your other comments were removed because they didn't belong in the review topic, nothing personal i can assure you. questions like that belong here which is the actual discussion about the review. if you want a more indepth answer and an understanding why we decided to unlock reviews for comments then by all means PM me. i would be happy to share.

the snes emulation is ok but not really that good. a bunch of games i expect to work do not. after the new update games that did work no longer do but i've been told that other games are now working. the genesis and snes emulators from dingoo digital were never that good. it was always recommended to mess with snes9x for dingux. if you were looking to get the ga330 just for snes emulation i would say not to bother. you would better off just using a scds2 or something.

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i've never had a problem using earphones or external speakers. the internal speakers are still not that great. i think they are probably the same speakers the dingoo product used, although i did not open the gemei a330 to check this. they work OK for gaming and whatever but i would recommend a nice set of headphones.

-another world

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Few questions:

1. Does it do anything differently from the Dingoo?
2. "Silver+ Award"...? Huh?
3. Any colors other than white or black?

On the whole, great review. Lots of pictures, which is usually all I look at.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
QUOTE said:
- Some video files may need to be re-encoded

This is so far the biggest cons of that console.

Many of my avi files that play flawlessly on my Dingoo A320 (and Gemei X760+) does not work on the Gemei A330.

Certainly because A320/X760+ rely on software decoder (so as long as you have the proper codec on the flash memory it works) while Gemei A330 rely on hardware decoding.

I hope it will be fixed since this is a big step backward (anyway that console is still in it's infancy, firmware upgrades will probably solve this).

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
i've never had a problem using earphones or external speakers. the internal speakers are still not that great. i think they are probably the same speakers the dingoo product used, although i did not open the gemei a330 to check this. they work OK for gaming and whatever but i would recommend a nice set of headphones.

-another world
Poor sound is a deal breaker for me. For about $30 more you can pick up a Game Park Caanoo or Wiz that's more powerful, really nice sound, very nice build quality, better screen, all around a much nicer product. Why is temp all about the Dingoo when there are much better comparably priced heandhelds? I'd like to see a Caanoo review.

Ziggy Zigzagoon

Trophies
XP
Country
Appreciations to your review, I am now sure that I regret not my purchase. I mean, as much as I want GB/GBC functionality, I am rather pleased with my Gemei (which I got yesterday), though I had to fiddle with things a bit. Seriously, though, I am surprised that the emulators are almost exactly the same, so, technically, someone can take the native emulators of the Dingoo and port them for the Gemei, having the users hold out until Dingux comes for the Gemei. In fact, I am rather surprised at how similar the Gemei is to the Dingoo.

Ihi... time to download Hana KImi, Majoo Saiban, and Guyver!

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Fireballo said:
Why is temp all about the Dingoo when there are much better comparably priced heandhelds? I'd like to see a Caanoo review.

because those teams and resellers do not offer me review samples. i do not have the money to buy one of everything just for a review. the best deal i could get on a caanoo was 5% off, it didn't even cover shipping. =P

QUOTE(Evo.lve @ Feb 4 2011, 03:00 AM) 1. Does it do anything differently from the Dingoo?
2. "Silver+ Award"...? Huh?
3. Any colors other than white or black?

1. not really, just some different tv-out options and the 2-player wireless. basically its what the dingoo a330 should have been.
2. yea, its better than a silver but not yet good enough to be a gold. it needs homebrew support for that, as that is the draw for these systems
3. no, and i don't think any are planned. however, the dingoo a320 has replacement shells. i've always toyed with the idea of painting on and swapping the shell. there could be gemei tech a330 shells eventually, if the demand is there.

-another world

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if only that wireless feature worked with GBA games .
hopefully the new Dingoo will support it though .

great review though ,
if the Dingoo isn't up to expectations , this is an option !

betterman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
King Zargo said:
How is the battery life if only the MP3 player is running?
Can the screen be turned of while listening to music?

Normally it will run 24-48 hours if only the MP3 player is running.

No, the screen can not be turned while listening to music.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY