GCW Zero D-Pad and Button Update

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Another World
    OP

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    P1000381_medium.jpg

Some of the early Zero units suffered from d-pad and button rubbing. There were a variety of community solutions, but the one everyone hoped for were replacement parts. After many model revisions and test prints, 3D printed replacement parts have finally arrived for the Zero. The source article below provides an in-depth synopsis on the process and the replacement parts. The d-pad and buttons cost $6.50 and $3.50, respectively.

:arrow: Source
    :arrow: Buy the D-pad here
    :arrow: Buy the buttons here

CaptainSodaPop likes this.

2. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    I forgot this was even a thing

3. marksteele

marksteele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2011
    Canada
    I never knew this was a thing in the first place

tbb043 likes this.
  4. EntermateStar

EntermateStar GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    United States
    I still do not see the need to own a Zero, all your really doing is paying for open source, if you know what your doing you can literally do everything this can do on most android platforms without spending any money, i guess its okay, but there are still way better options

5. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Nice to see them supporting their customers after so long. Especially since this is crowdfunded hardware without the resources of a large company.

Was thinking about getting one of these at one point but glad I didn't. The N3ds XL is much better hardware. Thank goodness for smealum and 3dbrew.

6. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    I like it. If someone had one of these pre-done, I'd like to buy it.

7. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    I have a GCW Zero, lovely device but it was the d-pad and face button problems that put me off playing it.
    Getting these replacement buttons would be great, but the new problem is I'm not DIY handy at all, which'll put me off installing the buttons if and when I buy them.
    Definitely wanna make it happen though.

8. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just don't buy shitty products.

9. CaptainSodaPop

CaptainSodaPop Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2012
    Croatia
    I also never heard for this, I want this.

10. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    The buttons are sold individually. So it would cost me £11/$14 to buy four face buttons.

The GCW Zero is pretty ironic, it was meant to correct the mistakes of past gizmos like the Pandora and Dingoo but it's had a number of issues with itself.

RupeeClock likes this.
  11. Surkow

Surkow Advanced Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Netherlands
    If you buy four face buttons each of the four printed ABXY buttons will end up looking something like this:
    [​IMG]

So you'll get 8 buttons, but 4 of them will suffer from a "ridging effect" due to Shapeways not allowing people to specify a print orientation. If you like to mod the buttons, the less than perfect buttons could still be sanded down and reused.

12. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    So, is Unnamed Monkey Game any good?

Same. Cool that someone's gone to the trouble to fix an issue with it, but a shame that the suckers fine people who already have the thing have to buy their own replacements.

13. Surkow

Surkow Advanced Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Netherlands
    It's a retro styled platformer that requires skilled wall jumping. It shows a lot of promise but it's not yet a finished game. It's included with every GCW Zero.

14. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    This was a thing 10 years ago. But 2015/1016.... Just meh ^^

15. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    Indeed, it was on new years eve in 2002 when I get a GP32 by the mail. The GP32 was the first open source handhelds, it had some great games.
    And there was very good emulators for it, after that I get a GP2X far better then the GP32.
    But the main problem was it will eat batterys faster then the GameGear.

Then come the beginning of the hole Pandore fiasco...

Now days you can better buy a android gaming tablet for those emulator things.
    I'm still looking for a nice android gaming tablet for a good price to play GBC,GBA,NGP,GG games.

SLiV3R likes this.
  16. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    Or just buy a N3DS! The best retro handheld machine =)

17. calagan

calagan Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2009
    Swaziland
    I personally think that if you just want to play retro games, Android-based systems like the Nvidia Shield or the surprisingly-well-built 3DS knock-off GPD XD are the way to go. Also, if you own a recent smartphone and a PS3, using a GameKlip or equivalent to clip your Dualshock 3 controller to your phone will provide great retro experience on the cheap.

18. Another World
    OP

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    To each their own. I personally enjoy the Zero and the community behind it. It is extremely easy to setup. I didn't have to fumble around with hacking anything, flash kits, the risk of bricking, carrying around external controllers, etc.

Anyone interested in a Zero should read my rather extensive review. Official GBAtemp Review - GCW Zero

Unnamed Monkey Game, for being an incomplete game, is amazingly fun. I won't say its worth buying a Zero for it, but it is a gem among commercial-quality "GB-era" homebrew.

19. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Get the nvidia Shield tablet.

20. kardus

kardus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2015
    Canada
    Why would anyone buy this or an nvidia shield over a GPD XD?