GC emulation

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Melled, May 7, 2012.

May 7, 2012

GC emulation by Melled at 8:03 AM (1,187 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Melled
    OP

Newcomer Melled Newbie

New Zealand
    Hello everyone, i am Quite a newbie When it comes to wii softmodding etc, So please bear with me. I am also new to the gbatemp.net website. I have a question, I have a softmodded wii, (thanks to this awsume site) with HBC, usb loader gx, emulators... But my wii does not support GameCube games and i was wondering if there is any way to bypass/emulate this. Thank you.

2. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Even if you softmodded into gc compatible firmware or whatever it takes, that wouldn't be enough. You'd still need to install the GC controller ports and memory slots from a dead wii. (if that's possible)

Not worth so much effort with the current low price of a whole working used wii. At least here where wii was made in gigantic amounts.

3. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Or now that usb in gamecube mode seems to be working, just wait and see if anyone does game patching to use bluetooth controllers.
    You already don't need memory card slots.

4. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Well interesting. But wouldn't that mean no GC microphone, GBA link cable, or other specialized uses of the controller and memory slots?

5. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    The slots don't exist on those newer wii's, so what do you expect?

6. turnerl

Newcomer turnerl Member

Australia
    no mic, gba link etc hardly a deal breaker ive never used these ever and i dont even think those connect to a wii anyways
    dont know about bluetooh since DML runs in GC mode, but devolution will be interesting on non backward compatible wii's for sure.

7. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    Considering how the hardware required for the gamecube was removed, I doubt emulation would be very good at all. The Wii isn't THAT much more powerful than the Gamecube, and the general rule for emulation is the hardware you're using to emulate it should be at least 7x as powerful. Even most PCs can't run Gamecube through dolphin at anywhere close to full speed.

8. Melled
    OP

Newcomer Melled Newbie

New Zealand
    Thanx for the replies peoples, has shed some light on the subject.

1 person likes this.