Hacking GC backups in disc channel - not working on 4.2?

xfcrowman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys - I updated to 4.2U several weeks ago, and I noticed last night that my wii no longer detects GC games in the disc channel. I do not have this problem with original games, and I can run the backups if I use neogamma. Can anyone confirm that they can run GC backups in the disc channel on 4.2, and if so, how is your wii set up?

Here are my specs, which may help diagnose the problem:
  • 4.2U; run by IOS70 (freethebug patched w/ trucha & ES_Identify)
  • All other IOS's are the most current versions - all original unmodified nintendo IOS's
  • wiigator's cMIOS v8 with gc backup launcher .2 in the disk channel
  • cIOS 222 (IOS38), cIOS 223 (IOS38 merge 37), cIOS 249/250 (rev14)
  • bootmii installed as boot2
  • preloader .30 rev2
Some other info: downgrading to 4.1 will restore GC backups in the disc channel, and the problem persists even if I install a clean version of IOS70 and get rid of preloader. This isn't really a big deal as I can still run GC backups using neogamma, but it would be nice to know why it doesn't work.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
xfcrowman said:
  • 4.2U; run by IOS70 (freethebug patched w/ trucha & ES_Identify)
That's your problem: too many toasters! Tell Preloader to run the System Menu with IOS249.

cIOS rev14 will probably choke on GameCube backups in the Disc Channel... You *may* need rev09 or an earlier revision.

xfcrowman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
That's your problem: too many toasters! Tell Preloader to run the System Menu with IOS249.

cIOS rev14 will probably choke on GameCube backups in the Disc Channel... You *may* need rev09 or an earlier revision.

I know that running the system menu on IOS249 fixes the problem - and the problem is also fixed if it is run using IOS60 v6174. I also doubt that cIOS38 rev 14 has anything to do with this problem, but I'll install an earlier revision and see if things change.

As I said in the first post, this isn't really a big deal. If I have to run GC backups using neogamma and not in the disc channel, then so be it. I just am curious if others have this problem and isolating the cause, if possible.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That copy of IOS60 v6174 must be from cIOSCORP, then.

The problem is that there is no public copy of IOS70 (the IOS used by System Menu 4.2) that has a patched DIP module (necessary to allow backup loading for softmods). This is why switching to another, DIP-patched IOS will make it work.

bobthebigbat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dialexio said:
That copy of IOS60 v6174 must be from cIOSCORP, then.

The problem is that there is no public copy of IOS70 (the IOS used by System Menu 4.2) that has a patched DIP module (necessary to allow backup loading for softmods). This is why switching to another, DIP-patched IOS will make it work.

I've had the exact same problem. I've used dub-ios-mod to install all the latest ios' and NUSD & WAD Manager to install the new STUBS for all IOS' except the STUB for IOS60 (used by system menu 4.1). The only patched IOS' are MIOS, 36, 60 and 70 (plus cIOS 202,222,232,249,250). The only patch on 60 was whatever preloader 0.29 did. 70 was patched by freethebug.

When using preloader, system menu 4.2 and IOS70 Gamecube backups don't load from the disc channel.
When using preloader, system menu 4.1 and IOS60 it all works fine.

I can't see that there could be any difference in the patched IOS60 and IOS70. IOS60 was patched by preloader. IOS70 was patched by freethebug. There has to be something else that stops it working on system menu 4.2. Perhaps we need a new version of MIOS as the latest one is Version 10.

Perhaps system menu 4.2 not allow earlier versions of MIOS just like Boot2v4 doesn't allow earlier versions of IOS. Can anyone confirm/disprove this? Can we get a new custom MIOS installer that supports version 10?

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
Maybe i'm wrong but boot2 seems to be involved in MIOS loading / switch to NGC mode.
And it seems, for me, since i've installed bootmii as boot2 not anymore disc loading for NGC
frown.gif

Since 4.2 update (Nintendo update) has this shity boot2v4.....
For me this issue is boot2 dependent

bobthebigbat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
carbonyle said:
Maybe i'm wrong but boot2 seems to be involved in MIOS loading / switch to NGC mode.
And it seems, for me, since i've installed bootmii as boot2 not anymore disc loading for NGC
frown.gif

Since 4.2 update (Nintendo update) has this shity boot2v4.....
For me this issue is boot2 dependent

I manually updated to 4.2 by installing the new IOS', etc with DOP-IOS-MOD and WAD Manager. I still have the old Boot2v3 with BootMii installed.
NGC still doesn't work with system menu 4.2 with Boot2v3 but it works fine with system menu 4.1
There still has to be another explanation for it not working. Something in system menu 4.2 or IOS 70
When running System Menu 4.2 under IOS249 (with the help of preloader), the disc channel loads the gamecube disc, so I'm pretty sure it's IOS70 that causes the problem.
I thought my IOS70 was patched right (it works with preloader) but it just wont load those gc backups. Does anyone know how I can fully patch a clean IOS70 from NUSD to see if that works?

Edit: I used preloader 0.29 JODI to load System Menu 4.2 on IOS60 and could load gamecube backups just fine (no hacks need to be enabled). I also worked out that using the IOS70 from cIOSCORP 3.5 (which is a patched copy of IOS60) works as well. So it is definitely something missing from the patched IOS70 I got from the Simplistic mod guide.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth: