GBC Rechargeable mod using a TP4056 module and existing DC Input for charging

Yrouel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Other mods I've seen using similar parts make you cut the case to access the usb port on the TP4056 module to be able to charge the battery however I didn't want to make any irreversible modifications to the case and only minimal alteration to the GBC board also I wanted to use the existing DC Input to charge the battery.

My implementation uses a TP4056 module with the usb port removed and the board trimmed to minimize its footprint, the programming resistor (R3) has also been changed to a 4.7K one and the only modification to the circuit is to remove EM7 which I actually just turned 90° and kept soldered only on one side. This is needed to create a separation between the DC Input and the rest of the circuit where the TP4056 module will be "slipped in".

Here's the schematic of the mod:
CTy2SEm.jpg

jN9TOm6.jpg

The input voltage is taken from the left side of F2 (red wire) and connected to IN+ of the TP4056 module and the output voltage from the module is injected to the right side of F1 (blue wire), the latter is also common to the battery positive which is provided by the existing contact in the battery holder. This arrangement should keep both fuses in circuit to maintain protection.

The negative battery input is taken directly from the battery negative tab via the white wire sneaked in the battery holder (no cuts to the case needed a thin enough wire can pass through the existing hole, the metal contacts need to be removed to pass the wire and can then be replaced).

Ground is common and is connected to the negative of C38 (black wire) simply because is close and the wire can be hidden reasonably well.

neYKn3o.jpg

OQCaCSh.jpg

The module is secured to the speaker using double sided sticky tape (the thick kind) and oriented with the input side (where the usb port was) toward the right.

This mod uses of only one side of the battery holder so only a single 14500 lithium cell can be fitted, the second spot is occupied by a cut to size nerf dart to avoid accidentally inserting another battery which will likely damage something. This restriction comes from the need to keep this mod as minimally invasive as possible (using the second battery contact is not possible without more modifications).

IQrKE0V.jpg

To charge it I use an USB to 2mm DC barrel jack cable

iqUQy9i.jpg

rpzHUdN.jpg

Useful schematics:

iiLo7ld.png

bP5iYb9.jpg

Last edited by Yrouel,
Reactions: zfreeman

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one.

Taking bets on how long until you find yourself somewhere where "usb cables everywhere but a nice custom size DC charge jack/universal adapter in sight" is the order of the day.

GSPADE

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Man this is awesome. Exactly what I been looking for. I just did this mod but need to wait for the barrel jack charger to arrive lol So it powers back on all good.

Is it correct there's no wire to the negative in??

Last edited by GSPADE,

GSPADE

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I can say this didn't work for me. I had to make red wire touch behind the jack with is a positive + connection (instead of F2).

Then even more weird, I made white wire come from + OUT and touch behind the battery negative .

Took a while of messing about and blew a fuse but got there :)

Last edited by GSPADE,

GSPADE

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just seen this, also did the same. made a video a while back:

That's cool, but this post is about Not cutting the shell which many tutorials out there do. This is one of the few that do no cut shell and keep as close to factory

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
You can just solder to the battery terminals on the motherboard, there's no need to overcomplicate this stuff. The GBC takes a 3.7v Li-Ion battery just fine with the TP4056.

Griizly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm willing to do this mod but I don't know which 14500 battery take, I suppose I can take the one with the maximum mAh, i've found some that deliver 2800mAh, is that OK ?

Is this mod better than simple eneloop pro batteries ?

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm willing to do this mod but I don't know which 14500 battery take, I suppose I can take the one with the maximum mAh, i've found some that deliver 2800mAh, is that OK ?

Is this mod better than simple eneloop pro batteries ?
Yeah, get the largest mAh you can find to get the most out of it. I just used a 3.7v Kodak camera battery I found on ebay.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So as I suppose this single battery is better than 2 eneloop pro at 2500mah ?
That, I'm not sure. The highest capacity I can fit in my Color was 2000mAh, and that's only due to the size constraint of the GBC itself, even after trimming the shell internally. I still get over 6 hours playtime, so I can't complain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think